Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,567 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new to the area and just wondering generally which hospital I should go to if I need to seek medical attention. I'm between Jefferson and Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania so could someone please tell me the difference between the two hospitals? Why would a person go to Jeff rather then UPenn and vice versa: why would someone go to UPenn rather then Jeff. Does anyone know if there is any difference in how each hospital treats its patients? Is there a difference in insurance acceptance/payment? Or is each one known for certain specialties (if so, what are those specialities)? Any insight you can give would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
I have substantial personal experience with both hospitals. Some will dispute what I say based on their experience. Both hospitals have a reputation for cutting edge technology. Both are easy to reach by public transit but by car it is easier to get to and park at HUP. I feel that jeff exists to train doctors. Patients, while neccesary, are an afterthought to that function. Jeff is the kind of place where a patient can lay dead on the floor and someone will come in and mop around the body and not say a word. I have seen personnel at Jeff ignoring people who are suffering and asking for help.
I am now being treated at HUP and I have found the staff to be kind, caring and considerate at all times. HUP is one of the finest hospitals in the world and head and sholders above any other hospital in Philadelphia. I have experience with all of them for myself and other family members. All of my worst experiences were at Jeff.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM

59 posts, read 169,518 times
Pennsylvania Hospital, which is part of the HUP system, is not the best based on reports from someone I know who works there, however, I have no info on Jefferson.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivjo View Post
Pennsylvania Hospital, which is part of the HUP system, is not the best based on reports from someone I know who works there, however, I have no info on Jefferson.
I don't believe the OP was asking about Pennsylvania Hospital, which although now "part of" HUP, does not have the spectacular infrastructure of HUP nor it's reputation. (Yea I have put in my time there too) I rate it the worst of the Center City hospitals, even worse than Jeff. I had better experiences at Hanhamann and Graduate (RIP)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have substantial personal experience with both hospitals. Some will dispute what I say based on their experience. Both hospitals have a reputation for cutting edge technology. Both are easy to reach by public transit but by car it is easier to get to and park at HUP. I feel that jeff exists to train doctors. Patients, while neccesary, are an afterthought to that function. Jeff is the kind of place where a patient can lay dead on the floor and someone will come in and mop around the body and not say a word. I have seen personnel at Jeff ignoring people who are suffering and asking for help.
I am now being treated at HUP and I have found the staff to be kind, caring and considerate at all times. HUP is one of the finest hospitals in the world and head and sholders above any other hospital in Philadelphia. I have experience with all of them for myself and other family members. All of my worst experiences were at Jeff.
I don't see much evidence to support this man's opinion. we've had nothing but good experiences at jeff, better than both pennyslvania and hup itself. the fact its a teaching hospital actually leads to a better level of care as there are simply more nurses, etc than at a non-teaching hospital.so, basically, I'd say the exact opposite is true. it's pretty easy to park at either place if that's a concern unless you are confused by garages.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
I am very happy with Jeff.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I've been to both as well as Hahnemann/Drexel. In fact, my primary care physician for a time was at Jeff. I think we're actually lucky to have three teaching hospitals within close proximity. My interpretation of that is that encourages cutting-edge ideas and technologies. All of that said, my personal experience has been positive at all three hospitals.

I think location may play a factor in which hospital one chooses. When I lived in Center City, I was more likely to choose Jeff. When I lived in University City, HUP was more convenient. One's insurance plan could be a determining factor as well. I regret that I don't know what specialities each hospital might be known for, although I imagine there would be some.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Jeff and Penn are two of the best. I don't think you can wrong with either.. We are lucky to have 2 such hospitals in our region

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Pick the best doctor you can get based on your needs (and insurance). Whether that person is affiliated with Jeff or HUP should matter less than their individual competency.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

HUP is #9...... Jeff didn't make the honor roll.
Best Hospitals 2010-11: The Honor Roll - US News and World Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia