U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,249,225 times

Advertisements

sure was, alpha.. Had everything 20 years ago.. Even as near as 10-15 years ago.. It was a wonderful place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 75,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The Northeast section which was once known as "the great Northeast" is taking its last breath...

Here we go again. This guy moved out of the Northeast and is always the first to trash it. To the more fair-minded readers : Northeast Philadelphia represents about a third of the entire city and is a vital part of the economic wheel of the city. There are dozens of neighborhoods in the Northeast. Some have seen better days, some have better days ahead, and many are still stable and viable places to raise a family. Like any general area, there are nice parts and not-so-nice parts. It's completely unfair to write off such a substantial area of this great city where many residents, unlike FRankgn, have chosen to stay and make their neighborhoods better. Others just move away and bash.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,693,931 times
Quote:
sure was, alpha.. Had everything 20 years ago.. Even as near as 10-15 years ago.. It was a wonderful place to raise a family.
translation: as near as 10 - 15 years ago the northeast was still almost entirely white!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Amen to that Frank!

It used to be the place to be.
northeast is not as bad as you bashers make it out to be but it was never, never, the "place to be" hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacony 4 life View Post
Here we go again. This guy moved out of the Northeast and is always the first to trash it. To the more fair-minded readers : Northeast Philadelphia represents about a third of the entire city and is a vital part of the economic wheel of the city. There are dozens of neighborhoods in the Northeast. Some have seen better days, some have better days ahead, and many are still stable and viable places to raise a family. Like any general area, there are nice parts and not-so-nice parts. It's completely unfair to write off such a substantial area of this great city where many residents, unlike FRankgn, have chosen to stay and make their neighborhoods better. Others just move away and bash.
the northeast has never been my favorite part of the city but i got a lot of respect for people who love their neighborhoods and want to make them better.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,693,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If your point is that Philly has a lot of residents who are black, prejeduced and racist toward whites and other minorities, I completely agree, but I don't think it's limited to Point Breeze.
agree, but i don't think it's nearly as bad/organized.

i mean opposition to gentrification doesn't necessarily mean racism against whites. in a lot of ways i empathize with their plight. even in the worst neighborhoods in philadelphia there are lifelong residents who care and love their neighborhood and it can be frustrating when you begin to realize that gentrification may be about to push you out. especially if you were one of the members trying to improve the neighborhood prior to gentrification.

so i understand the non racist desire to fight against gentrification. and even people who are motivated by racism most of them at least try and make it about a townhouse development or other such issues.

it's rare that people would come out and basically just say we're against white people living here and we're not going to stand for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacony 4 life View Post

no bashing, just my experience.. If you have a different opinion, you are free to post, aren't you? Sorry if my experience don't jive with yours..

Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM

9,674 posts, read 8,559,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
i've attached a flier which was posted up in point breeze, calling on it's residents to fight gentrification.
The last line was priceless: "Don't sell out!"

Yeah, don't sell out. Keep it real. Keepin' it real is always a good idea.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM

665 posts, read 772,950 times
Maybe, but I remember when this scenario was reversed in the 90's for Grays Ferry. People were fed up with the Section 8 destruction in the neighborhood and when we complained about it, we made national news and were potrated as ugly racisits. Every newspaper as well as ABC News had something to say and The Nation of Islam and Black Panthers marched down our streets ( that was the day GF came off life support).
Flash forward to 2011 and you have the reverse scenario printed in the Daily News including a direct quote from a woman saying that she would prefer drug dealers to white people. How is this expalined? The long time residents aren't anti-white, just "simply a little resistant to change".
Double standard here or no?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,383,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Amen to that Frank!

It used to be the place to be.
Olney and Crescentville seem to be falling down on themselves.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
Maybe, but I remember when this scenario was reversed in the 90's for Grays Ferry. People were fed up with the Section 8 destruction in the neighborhood and when we complained about it, we made national news and were potrated as ugly racisits. Every newspaper as well as ABC News had something to say and The Nation of Islam and Black Panthers marched down our streets ( that was the day GF came off life support).
Flash forward to 2011 and you have the reverse scenario printed in the Daily News including a direct quote from a woman saying that she would prefer drug dealers to white people. How is this expalined? The long time residents aren't anti-white, just "simply a little resistant to change".
Double standard here or no?
yes double standard.. Horrible isn't it?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,813 times
Quote:
The Northeast section which was once known as "the great Northeast" is taking its last breath...
Only some parts of the NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia