U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,174,742 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding, IMO? If Philly downtown is crappy or just ok, the rest of downtowns are not in the dumps because of Philly's. It's Philly's own problem, not anywhere else's. These Philadelphians are so funny and unrealistic! They're comedians. They all are dreamin' that it's one of the top 3? Whom are you guys foolin'? I can think of 20 downtowns in the U.S. that are nicer than Philly's Center City. We don't dare to compare it with the rest of the cities in the world. Philly's downtown is a work in progress, and I think Miami has an edge in this. Note: alot of other downtowns are not work in progress because Philly is. There are alot of mature and completed downtowns like Seattle, Boston, Denver, Portland and etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,739,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Are you kidding, IMO? If Philly downtown is crappy or just ok, the rest of downtowns are not in the dumps because of Philly's. It's Philly's own problem, not anywhere else's. These Philadelphians are so funny and unrealistic! They're comedians. They all are dreamin' that it's one of the top 3? Whom are you guys foolin'? I can think of 20 downtowns in the U.S. that are nicer than Philly's Center City. We don't dare to compare it with the rest of the cities in the world. Philly's downtown is a work in progress, and I think Miami has an edge in this. Note: alot of other downtowns are not work in progress because Philly is. There are alot of mature and completed downtowns like Seattle, Boston, Denver, Portland and etc.
durf please grownups are talking. Besides don't you have to be elsewhere desperately trying to convince people that ur favorite san fran suburb is the greatest city on the planet?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM

882 posts, read 1,485,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Why are you in a PHILADELPHIA forum, if you are so convinced it is a cesspool???? You are really going out of your way.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,174,742 times
Phillies2011 and SweetKisses, ha ha ha, how funny. The reason I have a word on Philly and issue with Philly is because it acts if it were just as world class as Miami, SF and LA, which it's not. It's not any different than San Jose, CA, which all the media and you guys think is a suburb of Frisco. San Jose is the 10th largest city in the country and the capital of high tech with a better downtown. Miami is another story. It's city with true international vibe and very cosmopolitan. Philly and San Jo can't compete with Miami, IMO. Miami competes on the level with NY, SF, Chicago, LA and Seattle.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM

19,352 posts, read 16,686,676 times
“Fully-Developed Downtowns” are relatively large (averaging 43,623 households) and densely settled(averaging 23 households per acre). In fact, while there are only five “Fully Developed Downtowns”—Boston, Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, Chicago, and Philadelphia
they are home to almost half of the nation’s downtown households.
http://www.brookings.edu/metro/pubs/20051115_Birch.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,287,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
“Fully-Developed Downtowns” are relatively large (averaging 43,623 households) and densely settled(averaging 23 households per acre). In fact, while there are only five “Fully Developed Downtowns”—Boston, Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, Chicago, and Philadelphia
they are home to almost half of the nation’s downtown households.
http://www.brookings.edu/metro/pubs/20051115_Birch.pdf (broken link)

Good post KP.
And I notice that the numbers used in that analysis only go up to 2000. And the 2010 census data shows that Philadelphia city grew in population over the last decade, with Philly's downtown growing quite dramatically. It would be interesting to see the same analysis done today.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Good post KP.
And I notice that the numbers used in that analysis only go up to 2000. And the 2010 census data shows that Philadelphia city grew in population over the last decade, with Philly's downtown growing quite dramatically. It would be interesting to see the same analysis done today.

I ran the census number in Philly; the core 5 sq miles grew by 15% and actually about 20K people; this area added 4K ppsm since 2000 and maintains a density a of 35-36K ppsm in this area

Wash Sq West grew by nearly 25% in population since 2000, pretty amazing really

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 PM

908 posts, read 934,843 times
A real downtown is one in which you don't need a car - everything you need is downtown and you can walk or take a subway everywhere you need to go. There are very few places like in this in the USA and new-growth cities are virtually never like this.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,287,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Wash Sq West grew by nearly 25% in population since 2000, pretty amazing really
I wonder how much of that is due to that big highrise right on the square (I think completed right around 2004)?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I wonder how much of that is due to that big highrise right on the square (I think completed right around 2004)?

Well I think you are describing the St James. I would imagine that building alone has 300+ residents; so some quick math would say that would be about 4-5% of the growth but actually looking back it was the whole of zip 19107 running basically Callowhill to Pine and 8th to Broad - On the map i am not even postive that the St James is in the zip - either is or is just outside of it. Chase Utley lives in that building

Regardless this really surprised me as this was a 10K+ jump and was mostly organic growth or repurpose growth; This does include some of the Loft conversions; so that also likely accounts for a chunk (Old Met Hospital, a few old warehouse conversions and some lofts in China Town) so that may explain this in looking back on the zip a little further.

This links to the 2009 Estimates for the area but has a map of boundaries etc. The official census 2010 data had the growth at 28% or 24% I cant remember now as i did these calculations a few weeks ago.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/19107.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia