Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 59,534 times

Advertisements

From what I kno most Hispanics in Philly are Puerto Ricans.. with the rest being mainly Dominican and Mexican..From wat I hear Mexicans mostly live in South Philly, while Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are mostly live in North Philly.. Did the Puerto Rican and Dominican populations pretty much integrate? Or do they got seperate communites within North Philly? If so where are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 AM

35 posts, read 191,919 times
Puerto Ricans makeup about 70% of Philly's Hispanic population and even thou there's much more Puerto Ricans than Dominicans.. in philly, the Puerto Rican and Dominican communities are VERY integrated.. put it this way there is no majority-Dominican neighborhood in Philly.. But every majority-Puerto Rican neighborhood has a significant Dominican population

Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
The reason being N.P. being the choice area is because during the 40's & 50's the lower NP sections including Hunting Park & Nice Town/Logan in the late 60's had plenty of breweries, baking plants, Sears & Robucks, Topps Trading Cards, and many, many other plants and factories in lower and upper NP.

As for Mexicans migrating to SP... I dunno their reasons due to the fact that I moved from Philly nearly 16 years ago but still visit and have plenty of friends in NP and only know a few in SP. Maybe someone else can chime in on the Mexican migration.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
I think south philly was a choice location because of its cheap housing stock and accessibility to center city (things like restaurant jobs). interestingly, the first puerto rican neighborhood was spring garden because the first spanish mass was held at a church there.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 AM

31 posts, read 61,339 times
how many domincansdo u know that came from washington heights, bronx to brooklyn coming to philadelphia and why

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJeezy View Post
From what I kno most Hispanics in Philly are Puerto Ricans.. with the rest being mainly Dominican and Mexican..From wat I hear Mexicans mostly live in South Philly, while Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are mostly live in North Philly.. Did the Puerto Rican and Dominican populations pretty much integrate? Or do they got seperate communites within North Philly? If so where are they?
they're integrated which I understand is unusual. hispanics originally moved to north philly for factory work (which is no longer there)

Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itiano 718 View Post
how many domincansdo u know that came from washington heights, bronx to brooklyn coming to philadelphia and why
My girlfriend is Dominican, she grew up in the Heights. I don't know any Dominicans who moved from NY to Philly, but I know a lot of them visit Philly on weekends/holidays. My girlfriend's uncle moved from the DR directly to A-Town for 2 years, then moved to NP last year.

There hasn't been a great Dominican migration to Philly yet, as there was/is with the PRs. It's coming, though. Latinos tend to do everything in blocs, so as the Dominicans (or Mexicans) trickle in and begin to establish their own neighborhood, they will then start coming en masse, a-la the PRs.

Last edited by BTA88; 01-25-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM

289 posts, read 338,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
My girlfriend is Dominican, she grew up in the Heights. I don't know any Dominicans who moved from NY to Philly, but I know a lot of them visit Philly on weekends/holidays. My girlfriend's uncle moved from the DR directly to A-Town for 2 years, then moved to NP last year.

There hasn't been a great Dominican migration to Philly yet, as there was/is with the PRs. It's coming, though. Latinos tend to do everything in blocs, so as the Dominicans (or Mexicans) trickle in and begin to establish their own neighborhood, they will then start coming en masse, a-la the PRs.
Why do so many Puerto Ricans want to move to Providence RI?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
Why do so many Puerto Ricans want to move to Providence RI?
Not knowing anything about Providence, I assume it's for the same reason?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
I forget where I read it, but Providence is one of the few cities where the Hispanic population is predominantly Dominican (I don't know the exact percentages, but you can look it up).

In any case, Philly's Hispanic population is 12.3%. It breaks down as follows:
8% Puerto Rican
1% Mexican
0.3% Cuban
3% Other

2010 Census for PHILADELPHIA, PA - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps

So there isn't really any large DR population in Philly. I'm sure if you go to census.gov and go to one of those summary files or whatever, you'll find the exact number. But basically, they're pretty much integrated with the Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia