Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM

119 posts, read 355,518 times

Advertisements

In another thread I asked about the commute to Horsham from West Chester. We were hoping to settle in West Chester for affordability, schools, and proximity to family. Most posters advised against it because it would be a really tough commute.

Where could we settle closer to Horsham if we had to that would offer a 45-minute or less commute? Until we sell or rent our current house out-of-state, we are limited in what we can spend on rent in PA. We are hoping to stay under $1500 a month for a 2-3 BR single-family home. I know, I know. That is tough. Add to it the fact that we need a safe neighborhood and good schools (our son has high-functioning autism) and it may be darn near impossible.

Still, we want to do this if we can. We really want to move back near our families.

Any advice on some good rental/property management sites? I've checked Craigslist---nothing on there. I've checked out Weichert and Keller Williams. Any other good sites?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM

59 posts, read 169,506 times
I am a BCBA and work with children with autism...I have an inkling that somewhere in Bucks County would be a good choice. The Bucks County IU seems to have good services, although I don't have first hand experience. Just from my research, they have the most comprehensive programs for children with autism. With your son being high functioning, I'm guessing he is included in regular ed classrooms? If he needs behavior support in his class, "wraparound" services are provided free of charge to children with an ASD diagnosis, you just need to apply for medicaid. There are a number of wraparound providers. I don't have any info on particular school districts and their supports for autism.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Thank you for responding! I found a couple of Bucks County support groups for parents of autistic children, so maybe a member of one of them will be able to help me. Yes, he is in a regular ed classroom.

Maybe someone else on here will know of particular districts that are supportive of autism families.

I'm wondering what Souderton and Pennridge schools are like. They seem to be in more affordable areas and the commute to Horsham doesn't look too long. Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Souderton is in Montgomery County. I would choose a Bucks county school district over montgomery just based on the quality of the intermediate units in each county. If you ever needed additional services outside the public school system, the IU would probably be your first line of resources. Does anyone have advice on Central Bucks School District? This is the Doylestown area. I would probably look there first!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 AM

Yes, I realize now I didn't word my post correctly. I knew Souderton is in Mont Co. I have heard a few good things about Souderton SD regarding special needs kids. That's key. The feedback from parents of special needs kids is especially important to me because their experience of a school can be very different from that of parents of typical kids.

I think Doylestown may prove to be too expensive for us, unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivjo View Post
I am a BCBA and work with children with autism
What's a BCBA, by the way?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
I think Doylestown may prove to be too expensive for us, unfortunately.
Doylestown is a terrific area with very good schools, but it's going to be an hour+ drive from the OP's family in the West Chester area. It will be the same with a lot of other areas in Bucks County.

Can anyone recommend any MontCo school districts that will fill the OP's needs so she doesn't have to be so far away from family?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
What's a BCBA, by the way?
Hi Janny, A BCBA is a board certified behavior analyst, someone who is educated, trained, and certified to provide applied behavior analysis (ABA) services. Unfortunately, I don't know which school districts in Montco would be on the closer side of Montco to Chester County and still have good special ed supports and be in a reasonable price range. Souderton to West Chester is still about an hour. Definitely take parent recommendations or talk to parents in the SEPAC. They usually know the inside scoop. Seeing as your son is in regular ed classes, you would really be looking for a supportive and caring regular ed teacher and school environment. A teacher and principal who work collaboratively with parents, and a school psychologist or social worker who has experience with children with autism and be able to provide social-emotional support.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivjo View Post
Hi Janny, A BCBA is a board certified behavior analyst, someone who is educated, trained, and certified to provide applied behavior analysis (ABA) services. Unfortunately, I don't know which school districts in Montco would be on the closer side of Montco to Chester County and still have good special ed supports and be in a reasonable price range. Souderton to West Chester is still about an hour. Definitely take parent recommendations or talk to parents in the SEPAC. They usually know the inside scoop. Seeing as your son is in regular ed classes, you would really be looking for a supportive and caring regular ed teacher and school environment. A teacher and principal who work collaboratively with parents, and a school psychologist or social worker who has experience with children with autism and be able to provide social-emotional support.
Thank you! My husband is still negotiating with the company so we may or may not be moving. We're in a wait and see phase right now.

Speaking with parents of special needs kids, it seems Great Valley gets high marks (but it's $$ there). Have only heard positive hearsay about Souderton. Have not spoken to anyone who actually has a SN child in that district.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
i'm not sure about the special needs services of different school districts, but if you want to be near horsham and still be able to get to and from west chester easily, i'd live somewhere near the 309 (ft washington) exit of the turnpike or with easy acess to the ft washington expressway (ft washington, upper dublin, ambler, gwynedd, horsham twp, montgomery twp). those all very nice areas with good schools, and i'm sure you could find something in your price range. school districts would be upper dublin, wissahickon, hatboro horsham, and north penn.

Last edited by Angus215; 04-08-2011 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia