Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM

76 posts, read 134,311 times

Advertisements

RN with 16 years experience. Coming from Raleigh, NC. Unfortunately, getting a job as an RN isn't as easy as it used to be and the Philly area is saturated with new grads, but, I'm hoping that my experience will work in my favor.

That being said, this is what I'm looking for.

Neighborhood that has a vibrant feel with coffee shops, restaurants, markets, music, art etc.

Being able to walk/bike to work, market, etc. would be ideal. If I had to take PT to work, not a problem, but don't want to commute an hr each way.

Prefer to rent in a historic area, no big box apt complexes. Think hardwood floors and exposed brick. My son is 17 and will be with me part time, so need a 2 bedroom/1 bath that allows mid size dog. Looking on CL it seems that the going rate for something similar will be in the 1000-1500 range (knowing that it could be higher).

Reseach has shown that up and coming areas are..Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Art Museum area. Also suggested were Doylestown, New Hope, West Chester, Germantown, Media? I really prefer more of a city feel than a suburb feel.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM

40 posts, read 123,236 times
I just moved to Doylestown with my family and we love it. We are in the township (suburbs a few miles outside of downtown) because we are in a different stage in our lives (one tiny one and another little one on the way), but if you go for Doylestown, you want to be in the boro. I lived in Raleigh for a bit in the late 90s and while Doylestown and New Hope may not be Raleigh....Raleigh isn't exactly Philly either in terms of size and things to do. So I don't think you'd have as much of a culture shock going to one of those towns, provided you live in the boros or within walking distance. The closest thing I can compare both of Dtown and NH to for your frame of reference would be Chapel Hill, minus the huge college. Lots of restaurants, shops in each. Some museums and art (especially in NH) also. I can't comment on the music scene yet.

Doylestown Hospital is right near downtown Dtown and would be commutable from New Hope (about 15 minutes by car and I'm pretty sure there's public transportation from NH to Dtown). Abington hospitable is commutable from Doylestown also.

Good luck

Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,560,979 times
This is a very spread out area. Getting a job first should be your plan. Then we can advise about where to live given distance, public transportation (if needed), etc.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM

78 posts, read 163,127 times
If you want modern structures, lots of restaurants and a real city vibe, Northern Liberties might be a good bet...there are a lot of families there as well as young people. It's fun, and it's walkable (lots of stuff around) and easily commutable into center city. Do be sure to research the schools though...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Doylestown

You guiys are so great! I agree that it won't be a huge culture shock going from downtown Raleigh (which has really grown since the 90's and is much hipper than Chapel Hill

I know that where I get a job will influence where I live, but since I don't have to move, I think I'd rather decide on the area and then look for a job. I've heard a lot of good things about Northern Liberties. What would be helpful is knowing which 'hoods' are walkable or very near each hospital. Possible job opportunities as follows..

Hahanemann
Thomas Jefferson
Fresenius (dialysis with several clinics in center city)
Doylestown
Abington
Albert Einstein
Fox Chase

So, if you could tell me what neighborhoods are best for those hospitals that would be great!

My son is 17 and graduates this summer so not concerned about schools.

Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,396,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
This is a very spread out area. Getting a job first should be your plan. Then we can advise about where to live given distance, public transportation (if needed), etc.
I agree with Newmarlig. You're talking about areas that are VERY spread out: West Chester, Doylestown, Fishtown/Northern Libs, etc. Take a look at a map of Philadelphia and its suburbs, and you'll see what we mean. Get the job first, then choose your neighborhood accordingly.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,159,739 times
Sounds like Center City would best fit your preferences for work and lifestyle.
Univ Pennsylvania Hospital,Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia.Jefferson Hospital,Hahnemann, Temple Univ Hospital are either downtown or close to it.

I would suggest doing due dilligence and try to find something in one of the Center City neighborhoods.

Rittenhouse Square
Fitler Square
Logan Square
Washington West
Society Hill
Old City
Art Museum
Spring Garden
Queen Village
Bella Vista
University City

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,468,470 times
if you really want a downtown feel and the ability to walk everywhere, try to find a job in one of the center city / univ city hospitals. living in the suburbs always requires some degree of sacrifice in terms of those types of things. Jefferson is right in the middle of center city and you could live in society hill or washwest and have a short walk to work. penn and CHOP are in univ city and you could live in university city, fitler square, or the western portion of rittenhouse and walk to work. with hanneman you could live in art museum / spring garden. i'd avoid temple if you want to walk to work.

people will suggests all kinds of towns in the suburbs (usally the one they live in), but the reality is that you will always be car-dependent.

Last edited by Angus215; 05-06-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Angus215...

Thanks for breaking it down! You mentioned 'washwest' which I assume is short for something? Fitler square also new to me? Found a great map of the 'hoods' on phillyrealestateguide.com

Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,468,470 times
WashWest is short for "washington square west", which is the neighborhood to the west of washington square. it's basically the area south of walnut, north of south, east of broad, west of 7th st. it's a very nice neighborhood that is very centrally located. jefferson is located in that neighborhood, as is the willis eye institute and pennsylvania hospital (affiliated with Penn). just east of WashWest is society hill, which is even nicer.

Fitler square is a small area on the east side of the schuylkill river just west of rittenhouse. the square itself is at 24th and pine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia