U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 10,832 times
Default Moving to Collegeville area next month

I would appreciate some insight on the apartment rentals in the Collegeville area. I am currently in St. Louis and will be moving to Collegeville in June. I am alone with a dog and a cat. I would like to live near my son who just bought a home in Collegeville.
I am retirement age, but will be working part time at any job I can find.
I will be searching for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, duplex, townhouse, etc.
I have searched on Craigslist, but all I see are mostly rental.com ads.
In early June I will drive to Collegeville, stay with my son and begin looking.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 10,832 times
Please....any comments.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM

2,842 posts, read 4,050,843 times
Collegeville is a nice, growing suburban area, but it has gotten fairly expensive. I don't know exactly what type of cost-of-living you're accustomed to coming from St. Louis, but I presume it's going to be more expensive here for most things. In terms of location, you'd be near lots of shopping, restaurants, recreational amenities, so that's a definite plus.

One thing to note is that Ursinus College is in the actual Borough of Collegeville, so you may want to steer clear of apartments that rent to college students and the issues that sometimes brings. I can't speak to any apartment communities in particular, but in terms of pricing, I'd expect to pay at least $1,000/month for a modern 1 bedroom apt. Obviously that means somewhere around $1,200+ for a 2 BR apt. and townhouse.

Good luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 05-12-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM

260 posts, read 222,293 times
Well, just for fun, I went to realtor.com and pulled up the "Rentals" option where it says "Homes For Sale" and asked for rentals in Collegeville, PA. I got 3 apartments in converted homes along Main Street for under $1,000 a month. Ursinus students ARE college kids, but it's not known as a super party school or anything, and there are plenty of families in town, so I'm sure the homeowner would be happy to have a non-student renting. I think Collegeville is lovely and leafy and has lots of sidewalks so you can stroll past attractive homes. And shopping is very nearby, so you shouldn't have a problem picking up salesclerk work. Don't be deterred. Welcome to Pennsylvania!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia