U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-11-2011, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 8,026 times
Default Mt. Airy or Art Museum?

When are you moving? - summer 2011
Where are you coming from? Indiana
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? City Center
Have you been here yet? Kind of, I had family in the suburbs that I visited a couple times. But I haven't been to either of the places I am asking about.
Will you buy or rent? Probably rent the first year, or more
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Townhouse, something with a small yard or courtyard because we have a small dog.
How much can you spend?$1500 - $1700 ish a month, maybe more if we manage to sell our house in IN quickly.
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 10yo
Do you prefer public or private schools? We homeschool.
Do you have pets? Yes
Do you want or need a yard? Just a small one or courtyard
Are you keeping a car? One
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I like to be able to walk to interesting places and green spaces

What do you want to be closest to?
Work Around 20 minutes or less from work
Shopping I like coffee shops, bookstores, Farmer's Market
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) I wouldn't want the grocery to be too far away
Nightlife Not so important but we are foodies who like to eat out and cook at home
Train or subway stations - Yes! I would like to be within walking distance.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is good.

Currently I am trying to decide between Mt. Airy and Art Museum. I did a lot of research on Mt. Airy and it seems to have everything we want. A food co-op, interesting bookstores, community resources like the Allen art center, an active homeschool group, and (one thing I am very excited about) proximity to Wissahickon creek. I run and I would love to run among the greenery. Also the trains could take my husband very close to his work.
But some friends have also recommended the Spring Garden/ Art Museum district. What is the main street for restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores there? Does it have a sense of community? Do the neighbors get together for events? Is the area of Fairmount Park there very nice for running?

What would be the pros and cons of each place?
thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM

124 posts, read 139,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock999 View Post
When are you moving? - summer 2011
Where are you coming from? Indiana
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? City Center
Have you been here yet? Kind of, I had family in the suburbs that I visited a couple times. But I haven't been to either of the places I am asking about.
Will you buy or rent? Probably rent the first year, or more
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Townhouse, something with a small yard or courtyard because we have a small dog.
How much can you spend?$1500 - $1700 ish a month, maybe more if we manage to sell our house in IN quickly.
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 10yo
Do you prefer public or private schools? We homeschool.
Do you have pets? Yes
Do you want or need a yard? Just a small one or courtyard
Are you keeping a car? One
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I like to be able to walk to interesting places and green spaces

What do you want to be closest to?
Work Around 20 minutes or less from work
Shopping I like coffee shops, bookstores, Farmer's Market
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) I wouldn't want the grocery to be too far away
Nightlife Not so important but we are foodies who like to eat out and cook at home
Train or subway stations - Yes! I would like to be within walking distance.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is good.

Currently I am trying to decide between Mt. Airy and Art Museum. I did a lot of research on Mt. Airy and it seems to have everything we want. A food co-op, interesting bookstores, community resources like the Allen art center, an active homeschool group, and (one thing I am very excited about) proximity to Wissahickon creek. I run and I would love to run among the greenery. Also the trains could take my husband very close to his work.
But some friends have also recommended the Spring Garden/ Art Museum district. What is the main street for restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores there? Does it have a sense of community? Do the neighbors get together for events? Is the area of Fairmount Park there very nice for running?

What would be the pros and cons of each place?
thank you so much!
I would pick the Art Museum area just because it is close to Kelly Drive and center city plus there would be no commute, but it seems that Mt Airy offers everything you are looking for, before you make a decision take a long weekend and visit the areas, good luck

Unread 06-11-2011, 12:15 PM

1,811 posts, read 4,399,212 times
It's win/win situation.

Unread 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 8,026 times
Thank you

I have more questions about the Art Museum neighborhood as compared to Mt. Airy. Mt. Airy seems like it has a pretty vibrant community, does Art Museum. Also, Kelly Drive, is it very packed? Is the Wissahickon more interesting?

Unread 06-12-2011, 07:46 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,811,425 times
Kelly Drive has a paved path with the river on one side and Kelly Drive, which is a pretty busy road, on the other. Wissahickon has Forbidden Drive which is a wooded, flat, unpaved trail with the Wissahickon Creek running alongside it. There are also multiple hiking trails winding though the hills.

What's more interesting will be a matter of preference. If you want a quiet, shaded, wooded experience, then the Wissahickon. If you like to see activity on the river and alongside it, then Kelly Drive. But it's not an either/or proposition. You can go to the end of Forbidden Drive and follow a winding bike path down to the start of Kelly Drive. On Kelly Drive, you can use bridges to create a loop on both sides of the river. Both places are really great activity spaces for an urban environment.

I don't know about the Art Museum area, but I know there is a pretty established homeschooling network in Mount Airy.

Unread 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM

8,053 posts, read 6,045,417 times
Much of fairmount is centered around fairmount Ave...particularly around 23rd but there are a lot of businesses scattered throughout the neighborhood. Both are family oriented neighborhoods but fairmount is much more dense. To get to CC the art museum is much closer and cheaper via bus or subway than the train. MT. airy is quieter and wissahickon creek is nice. Fairmount has the fairmount art center, a bookstore, a good weekly farmers market, and is close to the reading terminal market.

Unread 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 3,919,126 times
Either way keep in mind you're in an urban environment. Women runners have been targeted in the past when running alone, at early times, most likely wearing headphones. In that regard I would think the Wissahickon area is safer...

Unread 06-15-2011, 07:30 PM

124 posts, read 139,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Either way keep in mind you're in an urban environment. Women runners have been targeted in the past when running alone, at early times, most likely wearing headphones. In that regard I would think the Wissahickon area is safer...
the Wissahickon has had a few attacks too not too long ago, and if you chart the few attacks that have been on Kelly drive they have been closer to Forbidden drive area than the Art Museum area of Kelly Drive link to Kelly DRive, http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/0...rmount-rapist/ and a link to the Wissahickon attack http://www.examiner.com/running-in-p...fairmount-park and another link http://mtairy.patch.com/articles/pol...-thefts-abound a crime map, you can find every neighborhood here http://www.trulia.com/crime/Philadel...st_Mount_Airy/

Last edited by phillybound; 06-15-2011 at 07:52 PM..

Unread 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM

66 posts, read 66,368 times
Mt Airy (West Mt Airy...not east), is a great place to live...it has plenty of green space, and I used to actually ride my bike to work in Center City some days. It has access to a nice bike/running trail, water to take your kid, and has a nice community feel. The Art Museum doesn't have the same appeal to me...the park is largely just a few trees in flat space and doesn't feel "woodsy"...you're never going to see deer, etc...there. For some reason, if I had a child, I'd want to show them those things.

Anyway, I used to work in Center City and live in Mt. Airy, and my commute by car was 20-25 min, and by train about the same. You don't feel like you're "in the city" there, and that's kind of nice.

I don't live in Mt. Airy now (I rented but couldn't afford to buy in), but it was a nice place. You even have a little community co-op to get farm fresh veggies, cheeses and meats.

Unread 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM

295 posts, read 424,819 times
Mt. Airy is very nice. Parking not a problem. Parking in Art museum area/Fairmount/Spring garden is rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia