Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Inga highlights the impact of the Toll Brothers' Jewelers Row project on Washington Square: Toll's two-faced Jewelers Row tower is no gem as architecture
Her review is a sort of inversion of my own. I focused on what I thought was the visual effect of that all-glass south side and suggested the architects should have done that on the north side instead.

Her larger point about Toll Brothers City Living's general reluctance to produce truly adventurous buildings in its home metros is a good one, however. But I wonder whether local buyers would have an appetite for living in a Rem Koolhaas-designed apartment building like the one they're now building in Manhattan.

And I wonder what the cost differential for building a building like that one would be here. Keep in mind that this city's ability to produce truly affordable housing at almost all price points is affected by our high construction costs (high enough to approach New York levels).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right. Millenials are all gonna be scandal and corruption free.

But, seriously, this is exactly the kind of thing we need.

I said less lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Her review is a sort of inversion of my own. I focused on what I thought was the visual effect of that all-glass south side and suggested the architects should have done that on the north side instead.

Her larger point about Toll Brothers City Living's general reluctance to produce truly adventurous buildings in its home metros is a good one, however. But I wonder whether local buyers would have an appetite for living in a Rem Koolhaas-designed apartment building like the one they're now building in Manhattan.

And I wonder what the cost differential for building a building like that one would be here. Keep in mind that this city's ability to produce truly affordable housing at almost all price points is affected by our high construction costs (high enough to approach New York levels).
I think the developer for 19th/Walnut tower said it well, paraphrase..."We came up with a new tower design that is more fitting for Philadelphia..." I don't think Philadelphia is ready/will ever be ready for a residential building like 122 E 22nd St or 56 Leonard (Jenga Tower). And like you pointed out, developers are more daring and willing to spend a lot because Manhattan generally has a more sophisticated buyer, and condo prices are absolutely insane, so the ROI is almost guaranteed.

205 Race is the most "NYC-ish" design I have seen in Philadelphia for a new mid/highrise (awesome looking building), because of the great geometry and viewpoints, yet many Philadelphia's fear that, and prefer slabs and boxes.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:

We've mentioned the exact same thing right here on this thread about what Toll refuses to do in Philadelphia, regarding edgy design, that they do all the time in New York. So she's not telling anybody anything here that we don't already know.

At some point it will be younger GenX and Millennials buyers who will be the majority who want something other the boring dreck that Toll puts out.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I said less lol

I think the developer for 19th/Walnut tower said it well, paraphrase..."We came up with a new tower design that is more fitting for Philadelphia..." I don't think Philadelphia is ready/will ever be ready for a residential building like 122 E 22nd St or 56 Leonard (Jenga Tower). And like you pointed out, developers are more daring and willing to spend a lot because Manhattan generally has a more sophisticated buyer, and condo prices are absolutely insane, so the ROI is almost guaranteed.

205 Race is the most "NYC-ish" design I have seen in Philadelphia for a new mid/highrise (awesome looking building), because of the great geometry and viewpoints, yet many Philadelphia's fear that, and prefer slabs and boxes.
205 Race is the wave of the future, hopefully. Too much of what is going up here, or recently proposed, are just sets of vertical "boxes". They're hardly designed at all.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
I think 205 Race Street will do quite well. I think it's funny how it's nudged into this tight little corner, sorta out of the way so people might not notice.

I think you guys might be wrong about the appetite of the buying/leasing market for more architecturally interesting buildings. What I've noticed is that developers bring a few bolder projects up for approval, only to have the historical society and/or neighborhood associations nix the more adventurous design elements. As the markets shifts from old folks like me to millennials and Philly's growing transplant population, I'm hoping to see a shift in design for residential architecture.

After my Houston life, I am happy that developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please. I do think it's time for the city to move in architectural direction into the 21st century. Newbies and a younger demographic will be the driving force.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think 205 Race Street will do quite well. I think it's funny how it's nudged into this tight little corner, sorta out of the way so people might not notice.

I think you guys might be wrong about the appetite of the buying/leasing market for more architecturally interesting buildings. What I've noticed is that developers bring a few bolder projects up for approval, only to have the historical society and/or neighborhood associations nix the more adventurous design elements. As the markets shifts from old folks like me to millennials and Philly's growing transplant population, I'm hoping to see a shift in design for residential architecture.
I too hope that you're right that I'm wrong.

Quote:
After my Houston life, I am happy that developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please. I do think it's time for the city to move in architectural direction into the 21st century. Newbies and a younger demographic will be the driving force.
(emphasis added)

Wait, what?

Isn't Houston the city with no zoning? I thought THAT was the place where "developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please" (subject only to land covenants).

Old 02-04-2017, 08:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
I too hope that you're right that I'm wrong.

(emphasis added)

Wait, what?

Isn't Houston the city with no zoning? I thought THAT was the place where "developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please" (subject only to land covenants).
Good grief! I often type faster than my mind thinks. Here's what I meant:

After my Houston life, I am happy to no longer live in a city where developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Let's not act like all modern or "edgy" buildings are created equal-NYC has had some major flops IMO.

Talk about a bland toothpick box (that now takes away from NYC's more beautiful buildings IMO) look no further than 432 Park Ave.

Philly has come a long way, and has a very nice collection of modern buildings today-I especially appreciate the lighting displays.

Edit: Add pic

Some say it looks as if 432 Park is giving New York "the finger". Such a travesty

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-04-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Let's not act like all modern or "edgy" buildings are created equal-NYC has had some major flops IMO.

Talk about a bland toothpick box (that now takes away from NYC's more beautiful buildings IMO) look no further than 432 Park Ave.

Philly has come a long way, and has a very nice collection of modern buildings today-I especially appreciate the lighting displays.

Edit: Add pic

Some say it looks as if 432 Park is giving New York "the finger". Such a travesty
Modern? Yes.

Edgy? About as edgy as a Skidmore, Owings & Merrill tower.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Modern? Yes.

Edgy? About as edgy as a Skidmore, Owings & Merrill tower.
Edgy only because it is the third tallest building in the World-taller than Empire State, but yes I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia