Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Hah-and the iconic 6ABC song is still the same decades later. Thanks for posting.

BTW-I wish trains still had windows that could be opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Look, I was just pointing out how things were different way back when.
I like the stories but hope you share them in a friendlier tone next time.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Vanguard Group plans a new building and more in East Whiteland Township

Old 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Looks like there might be some movement on the other Washington Ave corner:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...s-site-at.html

Fingers crossed. I don't really think it needs to be a huge building like proposed before, but it is an ideal location for a full sized grocery store in my opinion. I really hope Lincoln Square and this develop act as a catalyst for all of Washington Ave

Old 07-28-2017, 03:11 PM

It's also the height of trash season, arguably the city's biggest problem for a lot of us. I think everyone should be a good citizen and keep their own block clean. Along side that please file an illegal dumping case with Philly311 if you see bags of trash in a spot they shouldn't be. I will be trying to clean a ton this weekend if it's not too hot.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:58 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Where was this Reading Terminal station?
This is fascinating. Especially since I love everything mid 80s and early 90s.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It's also the height of trash season, arguably the city's biggest problem for a lot of us. I think everyone should be a good citizen and keep their own block clean. Along side that please file an illegal dumping case with Philly311 if you see bags of trash in a spot they shouldn't be. I will be trying to clean a ton this weekend if it's not too hot.
So here's something I don't get: Why aren't residents required to place their garbage in plastic bags? It prevents trash from blowing onto the sidewalk and street while avoiding an even bigger mess when it rains. Further, it would be much easier for the garbage workers to handle. Perhaps there was some failed attempt to implement this decades ago?

Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Where was this Reading Terminal station?
This is fascinating. Especially since I love everything mid 80s and early 90s.
The fabulous terra cotta building, aka the formerm RT head house, on the NE corner of 11th and Market. The Hard Rock Cafe is on the corner inside of it today. The Market St entrance of the Pennsylvania Convention is also the former front entrance of the station. Today when you go inside the front escalator takes you to, what was, the main waiting area of the station. The huge overhead ceiling that you pass under going to the convention entrance was what was the "train shed". Trains arrived and departed from it. If you go there today there is a representation, on the floor, of where the tracks used to be. And, yes, I used it to take trains to Bucks Co. from there.

Also the Reading Terminal Market gets its name from the former station. And the Rail Park now under construction is some of the actual train arrival/departure infrastruction.

There's a brief photo history and wall mural of what the station was about and how it looked inside the PA convention center foyer

The main entrance of the RTM, at 12th and Filbert, next to the info stand, has a wall mural that shows what the station looked in the 19th century.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
So here's something I don't get: Why aren't residents required to place their garbage in plastic bags? It prevents trash from blowing onto the sidewalk and street while avoiding an even bigger mess when it rains. Further, it would be much easier for the garbage workers to handle. Perhaps there was some failed attempt to implement this decades ago?
Agreed!!! I have long thought that since people don't all have the space for a proper trash can, the city should mandate an official "bag" that prevents what you are saying. We could even be proactive and make like "sustainable" bags.

It's worth noting you are only allowed to put your trash out the night before pick up. You have every right to take a photo of the stuff put out early making a mess on the sidewalk or street. Take a photo of their address on the outside and report it through 311. I have no sympathy for the city fining people because of this.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Agreed!!! I have long thought that since people don't all have the space for a proper trash can, the city should mandate an official "bag" that prevents what you are saying. We could even be proactive and make like "sustainable" bags.
Seems like low hanging fruit to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia