Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Can't believe this isn't being talked about here. This would be a game changer and Philly is so perfectly matched up with Amazon's stated desires, it truly amazes me. Would love to see them build up Schuylkill Yards but I'd be happy with the Navy Yard too.

Of course, the pessimist in me says that we'll be skipped over for Atlanta or some other Southern city.
I think Philadelphia would be an ideal location, the only negative is the unfriendly business environment, but I'm sure city leaders in all the interested cities will bend over for Amazon.

Pennsylvania desperately needs an economic boost, so Pittsburgh or Philadelphia are my choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I do not agree with you at all about the Parkway adjacent ball park( yes, it does get used) and playground. So somehow kids shouldn't be able to walk to, or have their parents take them to, something that's specifically for them in a place where they live ? Remember there are a lot of homeowners who are paying property taxes and other taxes to have that amenity nearby for families...something you don't have(yet). I don't see why it's a detriment to have that ballpark directly across the street from the Rodin. Funnily I'm probably the biggest snob on this board and I don't have issues with it. lol.

Fairmount/Spring Garden are very dense re existing housing. There is no empty ground that I can think of except for the parking lot next to ESP in Fairmount Francisville still has a large section of land just north of Fairmount Ave on 19th St which, if I'm remembering correctly, is slated for development and may include a playground. The other play ground, Roberto Clemente,
18th and Mt Vernon, is actually too small now to comfortably accomodate all the people who are going to it. This summer it was busier than I've ever seen it. There is a basketball court(also heavily used) and combo baseball field and football field next it. Some of that space has been used to create a dog park( greatly needed too). Is there money to expand Clemente playground? Dunno.

That spot you are talking about next Park Towne was originally where the Calder Museum was going...man, I was disappointed when that fell through. And there was some talk about making it a kid park for a while. It didn't materialize.

Most parents are not going to drag a toddler to Penn for recreation.
I know the ballparks get used, but I don't think they should located on our version of a grand boulevard. They should be museums (like the failed Calder Musuem, or embassies, hotels, condos, cafes, shopping, etc.) The Parkway is a beautiful amenity, but far from what it could be.

The Sharwood neighborhood would be ideal for ballparks and recreational investment since its close to several well-off neighborhoods, and it was basically a blank slate until PHA sealed its fate.

Its nice for kids to have a ball park, but I wouldn't cry if they were replaced by development.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Wall Street boosts Philly school credit rating, praises Hite and city/state financials

Old 09-09-2017, 05:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
The limited article view feature and paywall will make any links from there problematic.

Good news in any case.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:42 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The limited article view feature and paywall will make any links from there problematic.

Good news in any case.
Yea it was a marginal increase, but it's an increase and a vote of confidence that the district is doing the correct things.

surprised no one posted this: LOVE Park Will Reopen to the Public in November | News | Philadelphia Magazine

It's hard to believe by Novemeber when it opens, it will have been nearly two years since it closed for renovation.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yea it was a marginal increase, but it's an increase and a vote of confidence that the district is doing the correct things.

surprised no one posted this: LOVE Park Will Reopen to the Public in November | News | Philadelphia Magazine

It's hard to believe by Novemeber when it opens, it will have been nearly two years since it closed for renovation.
It's still a mess there re construction. I have a hard time believing it will be completely done in 2 months.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

And, no, the Xmas Village should stay at Dilworth Park/City Hall. It was great there. Better than ever, imo. Putting those booths on new grass will wreck it. If Love Park actually ends up looking like what is shown in the illustration, it does not look like there's enough flat surface to accommodate them all.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think Philadelphia would be an ideal location, the only negative is the unfriendly business environment, but I'm sure city leaders in all the interested cities will bend over for Amazon.

Pennsylvania desperately needs an economic boost, so Pittsburgh or Philadelphia are my choices.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeled...-philadelphia/

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good. We need more of these articles!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:34 PM

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/9/12/...groundbreaking

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/9/11/...ng-spruce-hill

Disappointing the U City tower has been scratched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia