Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Forgotten in this is how bikers can be dangerous to pedestrians. Stuff that the BC seems to blow off. A bike rider ran over and killed a pedestrian at 16th and Locust a few years ago. The lanes do keep most of them off of sidewalks so that's progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Just noting that Kieran Timberlake, who designed the new American Embassy in London, is about to open or already has.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Dranoff's One Riverside penthouse sells to local buyer for $7 million - Philly

Looks like the condo market is still hot.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Obviously that article is primarily about the luxury condo market. More relevant for most buyers is the market at or under 500k.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
I wonder if the residents in this building will hear the idling freight trains on the nearby tracks. Something that has been a huge issue for others living nearby. Wouldn't it suck to pay even $1M and have to hear that nonsense all day on a beautiful Sat afternoon?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Obviously that article is primarily about the luxury condo market. More relevant for most buyers is the market at or under 500k.
Like it or not you need rich people for a city to thrive. I think its fantastic that people are paying that kind of money to live in Philadelphia. Certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 or 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I wonder if the residents in this building will hear the idling freight trains on the nearby tracks. Something that has been a huge issue for others living nearby. Wouldn't it suck to pay even $1M and have to hear that nonsense all day on a beautiful Sat afternoon?
Good question. I would imagine the building would be well insulated to block out noise.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Good question. I would imagine the building would be well insulated to block out noise.
Let's hope so. Either way, it will suck when it happens and the weather is nice enough to open the windows. I remember one instance where a freight train was running idle for 3 straight days. Those things are incredibly loud.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Doesn't the rest of the building already have occupants? So those folks are already hearing it when it happens. And plenty of other people are living nearby.

Trains do not run through there all day. Don't you ever use the trail/park on the east bank of the Schuykill? I have been there plenty of times during the day and have yet to see any trains. Train traffic is probably late at night.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Like it or not you need rich people for a city to thrive. I think its fantastic that people are paying that kind of money to live in Philadelphia. Certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 or 30 years ago.

I love it actually.

It only helps to increase the value of what I own.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Quote:
It is well insulated. I've been in several units (unoccupied and furnished models) when trains have run past. You can't hear them.

Now, a train that's moving is loud only when the locomotives run past, but you still get noises like squealing wheels on curves.

Quote:
Channeling Tom Scannapieco, I see.

He's made the same point to me; I think I may even have quoted him on that when I wrote a dual item on him and his daughter Lindsay in our "100 Most Influential Philadelphians" issue last fall.

And while housing affordability is one of the subjects I'm most interested in, I agree with him. His point was a little more focused than yours, though: if the rich folks live in the city, they will be more likely to take an interest in civic affairs. And it's not unheard of that some of them are actually concerned with issues of social equity.

And since I brought him into this: Compared to what Scannapieco gets for his top-priced units, $7 million is chump change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia