Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It is well insulated. I've been in several units (unoccupied and furnished models) when trains have run past. You can't hear them.

Now, a train that's moving is loud only when the locomotives run past, but you still get noises like squealing wheels on curves.

Channeling Tom Scannapieco, I see.

He's made the same point to me; I think I may even have quoted him on that when I wrote a dual item on him and his daughter Lindsay in our "100 Most Influential Philadelphians" issue last fall.

And while housing affordability is one of the subjects I'm most interested in, I agree with him. His point was a little more focused than yours, though: if the rich folks live in the city, they will be more likely to take an interest in civic affairs. And it's not unheard of that some of them are actually concerned with issues of social equity.

And since I brought him into this: Compared to what Scannapieco gets for his top-priced units, $7 million is chump change.
Is he the only upper scale local developer who advertises in the New Yorker and New York Times? If he is that alone puts him in a special catagory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:09 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
PlanPhilly | New terms on city’s deal to buy Inquirer building for new Philly police HQ threaten to increase cost for taxpayers

Long story short, Domb tried his best to create a favorable deal for the city. No bank would finance the 19-year fixed rate deal. Instead the city has a new agreement to pay less up front, but have the possibility of rate increases in the future leading to an overall greater cost.

Personally, I still think it’s the right decision to move the police HQs. They don’t mention the fact that the city could make some money off of selling the Roundhouse HQ.

The city is also getting the whole building reappraised by 3rd parties to ensure it’s a fair deal.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Comcast makes surprise $31B bid for Sky in London - Philly

Old 02-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
PlanPhilly | New terms on city’s deal to buy Inquirer building for new Philly police HQ threaten to increase cost for taxpayers

Long story short, Domb tried his best to create a favorable deal for the city. No bank would finance the 19-year fixed rate deal. Instead the city has a new agreement to pay less up front, but have the possibility of rate increases in the future leading to an overall greater cost.

Personally, I still think it’s the right decision to move the police HQs. They don’t mention the fact that the city could make some money off of selling the Roundhouse HQ.

The city is also getting the whole building reappraised by 3rd parties to ensure it’s a fair deal.
PPD needed to move out of the Roundhouse a long time ago so I agree with you.

Not a word, though, in the article about the $50 million the city spent on renovating the Provident Mutual Bldg, at 46th and Market, which, as you know, was the initial site for the move. Will it be sold? Will we recoup any money from what was spent?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
PPD needed to move out of the Roundhouse a long time ago so I agree with you.

Not a word, though, in the article about the $50 million the city spent on renovating the Provident Mutual Bldg, at 46th and Market, which, as you know, was the initial site for the move. Will it be sold? Will we recoup any money from what was spent?
The city had a deadline of Nov. 1st for prospective buyers to submit proposals. Who knows if anything came about from it.

Blatstein returns focus to Northern Liberties with plan for remaining brewery parcel

The Piazza 2. Looks awesome to me.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
The city had a deadline of Nov. 1st for prospective buyers to submit proposals. Who knows if anything came about from it.

Blatstein returns focus to Northern Liberties with plan for remaining brewery parcel

Wow, amazing if it looks anything like that! I am getting Brooklyn vibes from that rendering. I love the density in NoLibs.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:

This is fantastic!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
From the pictures she shows, the old park certainly looks more inviting than the new one but I guess we'll have to wait and see?

New LOVE Park is graceless instead of gritty; is that the kind of Philly we want to live in? | Opinion

Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
From the pictures she shows, the old park certainly looks more inviting than the new one but I guess we'll have to wait and see?

New LOVE Park is graceless instead of gritty; is that the kind of Philly we want to live in? | Opinion
A lot of that article seems to the author blowing smoke out of her behind. I will have to see the new park for myself.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

I walked through it last Saturday.

Once the fountain is turned on it will be pretty dramatic. There aren't any hidden places for bums to "camp out" like there were before. Who wants that kind of "grit" to come back?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia