Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 02:39 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The city won't be able to nickel and dime poor people on candy drinks and cigarettes to solve the pension situation.
The lack of attention to pension funding irritates me. But it’s easy to understand. Politicians are rewarded for handing out goodies now - not by investing in solutions to problems that will bear fruit a decade or so down the line. Sad, huh?

But the DROP program is even more exasperating. I still can’t believe this raw money grab of our tax dollars has operated for 20 years or so. I’m not sure what it will take to kill off DROP, but expecting politicians to stop lining their own pockets on their way out the door isn’t terribly realistic. Outside of the random op-ed, the media has no interest in the matter. And voters, by my measure, could not care less. I’ve voted against my incumbent council person at each opportunity, but few of my other neighbors have joined me. Haven’t seen a lot of change in the other council districts either since moving here nearly 8 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The lack of attention to pension funding irritates me. But it’s easy to understand. Politicians are rewarded for handing out goodies now - not by investing in solutions to problems that will bear fruit a decade or so down the line. Sad, huh?

But the DROP program is even more exasperating. I still can’t believe this raw money grab of our tax dollars has operated for 20 years or so. I’m not sure what it will take to kill off DROP, but expecting politicians to stop lining their own pockets on their way out the door isn’t terribly realistic. Outside of the random op-ed, the media has no interest in the matter. And voters, by my measure, could not care less. I’ve voted against my incumbent council person at each opportunity, but few of my other neighbors have joined me. Haven’t seen a lot of change in the other council districts either since moving here nearly 8 years ago.
Yep, tbh, it seems like few even remember that DROP still exists.

I'm always encouraging millennials to run for local offices. I wrote a letter to Brian Sims hoping he would come home and challenge Kinney next year. Watching those Phila. The Great Experiment videos made me sad, once again, that Sam Katz didn't become mayor. He would have been outstanding.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:47 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed, the fear of density (and height) thing is so odd to me.

Having apartment/ mixed use buildings is a far better use of land and more attractive to buyers and renters. it also increases the chances of having a cafe or market as an asset to the neighborhood.

But something as simple as the city investing requiring developers to plant trees or invest in city greenery would have a drastic improvement on streets void of vegetation.
I know of at least one multi-unit townhouse development whose builder is being required to plant street trees around the project.

Given that the Kenney administration has kept alive the TreePhilly program, I think we may see more of this in the future.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I know of at least one multi-unit townhouse development whose builder is being required to plant street trees around the project.

Given that the Kenney administration has kept alive the TreePhilly program, I think we may see more of this in the future.
A number of homes around me, including myself, have put in for trees via Philly Tree People. Planting day is this coming Sunday. I was able to request two trees and the tree pits were dug out a couple weeks ago. Walking around the neighborhood, I have seen several similar pits so the momentum is there, at least locally, to increase our canopy!

Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Amazon apparently picks Northern VA and LIC for its HQ2:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...arters-n935511

What does this mean for Philly? Since we are right smack between the two, I expect Philly to catch the "overflow" out of NYC. Perhaps those who can afford the time and price cost of Acela would live in Philly, get on at 30th st, get off at Penn and take the E to Queens Plaza.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
Amazon apparently picks Northern VA and LIC for its HQ2:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...arters-n935511

What does this mean for Philly? Since we are right smack between the two, I expect Philly to catch the "overflow" out of NYC. Perhaps those who can afford the time and price cost of Acela would live in Philly, get on at 30th st, get off at Penn and take the E to Queens Plaza.
It certainly will not be bad for Philadelphia, but also sad that the area was completely overlooked...

Karen and I agree on this, we don't care in the end that Amazon chose NYC and DC, but having a year of all the "visiting" cities crap and having cities put together incentive packages when Amazon knew all along it was going to pick NYC and DC was ridiculous and I think amazing that what they did is legal.

Not like Bezos sat down and was like "okay I think we are going to pick DC and NYC" I bet he had those two cities planned since 2010.

At least it doesn't matter much for PHL because we didn't really think we would win. I bet its a huge shock for Atlanta though.

Funny the difference between NYC and DC reactions... NYC people are like o great another huge company that will further congest public transit and make LIC a corporate center. DC... O great! DC is becoming the greatest city in the world, we are surely the golden child now, lol.

My hope is that this will somehow create new business ties or somehow increase tourism in Philadelphia since its in the middle of NYC and DC, so we will see.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:58 AM

82 posts, read 68,803 times
I would rather have home grown companies excel rather than the giant corporate entity that is Amazon come here and inflate real estate prices
Gopuff will build a new Philly headquarters adding 500 jobs
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-philadelphia/

Old 11-13-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I would rather have home grown companies excel rather than the giant corporate entity that is Amazon come here and inflate real estate prices
Gopuff will build a new Philly headquarters adding 500 jobs
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-philadelphia/
That is great news. The city greatly needs growing companies like that.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 PM

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...-city-council/

O lord, Philadelphia voters better not let me down. If someone like Asa Khalif gets elected to City Council (at large)... then I just don't know....

Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It certainly will not be bad for Philadelphia, but also sad that the area was completely overlooked...

Karen and I agree on this, we don't care in the end that Amazon chose NYC and DC, but having a year of all the "visiting" cities crap and having cities put together incentive packages when Amazon knew all along it was going to pick NYC and DC was ridiculous and I think amazing that what they did is legal.

Not like Bezos sat down and was like "okay I think we are going to pick DC and NYC" I bet he had those two cities planned since 2010.

At least it doesn't matter much for PHL because we didn't really think we would win. I bet its a huge shock for Atlanta though.

Funny the difference between NYC and DC reactions... NYC people are like o great another huge company that will further congest public transit and make LIC a corporate center. DC... O great! DC is becoming the greatest city in the world, we are surely the golden child now, lol.

My hope is that this will somehow create new business ties or somehow increase tourism in Philadelphia since its in the middle of NYC and DC, so we will see.
Yea, there are a pretty good number of people none too pleased about Amazon heading to NYC. I really would have liked it (or the two now) to go to Cleveland, Newark, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia