Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Happy to see Johnny Doc and several of his close associates indicted. Seems shabby greed is the theme. Assuming conviction, this opens an opportunity to put some of the city’s machine politics behind us, meaning a fairer shake to those heretofore shut out from opportunities afforded to those connected to the syndicate. Hopefully the new generation will replace the machine with a beauracracy that strives for fairness and transparency.
Until the city is less impoverished and more educated and in touch with politics, nothing will change. So its up to the educated Millennials (and now Gen Z) to keep moving into the city and becoming active in public and civic affairs. Even the educated boomers from the burbs could help the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Until the city is less impoverished and more educated and in touch with politics, nothing will change. So its up to the educated Millennials (and now Gen Z) to keep moving into the city and becoming active in public and civic affairs. Even the educated boomers from the burbs could help the cause.
I'm hopeful but, it's naive to believe that lots of millennials won't end up being just as corrupt in some fashion here, there and everywhere ...just like past generations.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm hopeful but, it's naive to believe that lots of millennials won't end up being just as corrupt in some fashion here, there and everywhere ...just like past generations.
Thats true... You even said a few weeks back, humans have been monsters since the beginning of time, Millennials are no different in the end, just under a magnifying glass because of social media and constant connectivity of the globe.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Happy to see Johnny Doc and several of his close associates indicted. Seems shabby greed is the theme. Assuming conviction, this opens an opportunity to put some of the city’s machine politics behind us, meaning a fairer shake to those heretofore shut out from opportunities afforded to those connected to the syndicate. Hopefully the new generation will replace the machine with a beauracracy that strives for fairness and transparency.
Makes me happy to hear this. I belonged to IBEW local 1241 for years. It was broadcast only. We were forced to dissolve the local and join that local. It was rotten to the core.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:00 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Each generation makes some breaks from the one that preceded it. Let’s hope the millennials operate in a more open and fair mannner than we see today among some of the dinosaurs from my generation who are finally ceding some of their power . . . voluntarily or otherwise. I am generally impressed with the millennials I know and I believe our future is in good hands.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Each generation makes some breaks from the one that preceded it. Let’s hope the millennials operate in a more open and fair mannner than we see today among some of the dinosaurs from my generation who are finally ceding some of their power . . . voluntarily or otherwise. I am generally impressed with the millennials I know and I believe our future is in good hands.
Same!

I don't know a single millennial that does not have a tremendous amount of energy and who aren't goal oriented.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:07 AM

SEPTA’s marked up three options for extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, but doesn’t sound too encouraged in the article due to cost estimates (which range between $869M and $1.6B):

Here

Old 02-03-2019, 02:28 PM

188 posts, read 127,303 times
It would be great if the BSL can be extended to the Navy Yard, but that seems like too much money for such a short extension. Why do they need to bore a tunnel instead of cut and cover? There's no density here to really warrant the extra cost of a TBM. Also, seems like priority should be given to the Roosevelt Blvd subway if it's really going to cost that much. I always expected the Navy Yard extension to be low hanging fruit due to it's short distance, but I guess not.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 AM

https://philly.curbed.com/2019/2/4/1...green-district

More trees coming to Center City.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No mention of where they’re going in. The Schuylkill Trail could use more tree canopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia