U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM

573 posts, read 552,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes, but the not the main driver of the cities economy.
That's awesome, and Philly seems like its in the perfect location for this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM

573 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's already an energy hub. If you google "Philadelphia refineries" you will see part of why it is.
Yea, I've done a little research on it and it definitely is. Whatever the outcome, I'm rooting for Philly to be greater than it already is.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:49 PM

23,566 posts, read 29,800,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think you think I'm using the phrase "a very special case" negatively.

I'm not.

Lawnside, N.J., is not "a black town" the way my East Side neighborhood of Oak Park in Kansas City, Mo., is "a black neighborhood" or Prince George's County, Md., is "a majority black county."

It's living history: The oldest African-American(-run) town in the Northeast, whose heritage dates to the days of the Underground Railroad, as depicted on the borough seal. Its creation out of the extinguished Center Township in 1926 was a celebration of that heritage, a nod to "The Physician of the Pines," William Still's father. (I count Kelly Still, one of William's descendants, as a friend.)

If that's not "very special," what is?

Edited to add: What I'm saying is that it's not "just another town." It's a place worth celebrating. I'm guessing that by saying it's "just another town," you're suggesting that because it's black and black-run, most folks would look down at it or avoid it. Shame on them, and maybe you too, for thinking that way.
I'm saying that its treated the same as if it was not a black town. I got the impression that you thought otherwise. Isn't that the object of our society? It's treated the same as any other town in the area.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:52 PM

1,190 posts, read 895,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
That's awesome, and Philly seems like its in the perfect location for this.
Absolutely! We definitely have the infrastructure to support it. The largest refinery on the East Coast is in Marcus Hook, about 25 minutes outside of Philly. We also have another refinery in Marcus Hook, one in South Philly (which a lot of people see crossing the George C. Platt Bridge from the airport), and one in Paulsboro, NJ. We also have the rail infrastructure. CSX, NS, and CP have major rail yards in the city. CSX has Greenwich Yard, which is in the uninhabited part of the Navy Yard (which will hopefully become Southport). CSX also has a yard in Gray's Ferry. CSX and NS share Pavonia Yard in NJ, which Conrail leases to both of them. There is talk of constructing a new rail yard near the refinery in South Philly. It would be behind that scrap metal yard by 26th Street and Penrose Avenue. CSX gets into the city via the Philadelphia (Baltimore-Philly) and Trenton Subdivisions (Philly-Trenton towards New York via the R3 West Trenton Line). NS gets into the city via the Harrisburg Line (Philly-Enola Yard in Harrisburg via the High Line).

Old 07-15-2015, 07:43 PM

1,190 posts, read 895,319 times
Just in case you haven't seen it yet, this is what SEPTA's new ACS-64s will look like. Per SEPTA's website, "The first SEPTA ACS-64s are due to be delivered in early 2018. In conjunction with the planned purchase of new Multi-level passenger cars, SEPTA will be able to provide additional capacity to accommodate our growing ridership."

Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM

48 posts, read 94,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think Brandywine would need an adjacent lot to do a decent tall building on the site. Maybe it's already acquired the lot to that one's east?

I agree with your last sentence. But you know me, I gotta pick nits:

--East of Front and north of Vine is not North Philly. Those are the River Wards, a different region of the city; they're neither North nor Northeast Philly but connected to both. Fishtown is the southernmost of the River Wards neighborhoods.

--If you are north of Baltimore Avenue, you are in West, not Southwest, Philly. Spruce Hill lies north of Baltimore Avenue. The street splits Cedar Park in two. The area around the firehouse at 50th and Baltimore looks quite good IMO, and I figure it's only a matter of time before the wave finally crosses 52d, both in West Philly and along Baltimore. However, 52d Street needs a good Main Street management program (I've met the guy who I think is supposed to be putting one in place; he's taking Torresdale Avenue in Tacony as his model).

--Your analysis of Northwest Philly completely omits the part on the other side of the Wissahickon. Both Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill are stable and doing well, and there's even ferment in Germantown. I'm now in my third year in that last neighborhood, and agree with so many who live here that it has huge potential, so far untapped. Socioeconomically speaking, I think there's no more diverse neighborhood in the city.

Wait - what dense area around Stenton Avenue?

--I take issue with the people who paint such a dire picture of Oxford Circle and Mayfair. The former is part of that area of the Northeast where Philly's other future is now being written, as the Lower Northeast has become the city's biggest immigrant magnet. If they stay, and if their trajectory follows that of the other immigrant groups, we will see stabilization and renewal around Oxford Circle again. (Though I should note that the African-American woman who I lived next door to for a while on Alma Street just above the circle complained about all the newcomers who were dragging the neighborhood down.)

Mayfair's not getting the immigrants, and its business strip along Frankford Avenue faces challenges, but as long as we have Scoats and Chickie and Pete, I don't think we can write the place off.

Haddonfield hasn't lost one iota of its beauty and charm, and Collingswood's positively blossomed over the last decade or so. Both are in Camden County, as are Cherry Hill and Voorhees.

Then there's Lawnside, which is a very special case.
There are many heated discussions of Oxford Circle on various forums online on urban issues, etc. There is no question that anyone who was familiar with that area even just over 10 years ago, has to admit that it was breathtaking the speed with which white flight occurred there. We saw this same kind of pattern in Overbrook in the late 90s and Lawncrest around that same time. I think in Philadelphia people are so used to seeing wide swaths of the city either one "group" or the other that is unsettling for some to see change en masse, especially knowing that it changed out of fear/panic/rise in crime, etc. In the case of Oxford Circle, it is not hyperbole to say that crime increased and aesthetically the area declined. Mayfair is a bit more complex because it is sort of cut up by various arterial streets that psychologically seem to dictate what parts people think are "better" than others. Seems people think one should be leerier of buying south of Cottman, in the late 90s I remember people murmuring about how "they" (you know exactly what that means) were moving in south of Robbins/Levick Streets. Recently there was talk in the news about a church, one that has an African American congregation, taking over the failed but restored Devon Theatre. Mark my words, as someone from a long line of NE Philly relatives, the arrival of that church on that part of Frankford Avenue will definitely begin some dinner table conversations in houses full of people that "aren't prejudiced, but..." and then we'll see how many sale signs more pop up. Lose the stability of what is left of ol' school Mayfair and I'm sorry but the NE is in dire trouble if that happens. We just aren't good at having rowhome neighborhoods that are racially diverse; history shows that it is rare.

I still can't comprehend the light speed with which Juniata and western Frankford, Oxford Circle all experienced their white diasporas. I'm not pointing at the people that moved in; I'm just amazed at how fast people dropped what once meant so much to them. If these places didn't mean anything to those that left, there would not be page after page online of "old neighborhood" discussions where people sort of reconstruct in cyberworld what they sold out of in real life.

I beg people to save me their preaching about my comments - they're not meant to hurt or offend, just observations.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 AM

7,172 posts, read 6,250,703 times
Dow Chemical to exit Center City, move 350 staffers to Collegeville

Unfortunate for Center City. 350 jobs heading to Montgomery County :/

Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM

23,566 posts, read 29,800,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
So because you're old, you automatically know more than me? Yea, because your trips to Camden in the 1950s really ensure a firm grip on the current state of Camden.
Maybe you never read the terms of service which includes no personal attacks. You are allowed your opinion & I'm allowed mine. You've done it twice. If you do it again I will report you.

I've talked with members of the last generation to grow up in Camden when it was a nice place. They are rapidly dying off.

I never set foot in Camden in the 50s. It was my county seat for over 40 years. So I have been in & out for decades. There have been plans to help Camden & crooked mayors siphoned the funds, thereby scuttling those plans.

Camden has been the crime capital of the US. Until that is under control Camden will continue to sit there festering like an open wound. People continue to flee. The city will not turn around until crime is under control. You are not the first person to have pipe dreams of being a real estate magnate in Camden. Maybe your grandchildren can do that. Right now black people don't want to live there, white people don't want to live there, & Puerto Ricans don't want to live there.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 AM

283 posts, read 385,478 times
From Intech Construction: Current Projects

Quote:
The latest proposed development by a joint venture of Wexford Science & Technology and the University City Science Center is 3675 Market Street, a 12-story, Class A, 325,000 SF laboratory/office building. The project is currently in the design phase with a projected start date in late 2015. The project requires the demolition of an existing parking garage and office building. The removal of these buildings allows for site re-configuration that will allow for a future extension of 37th Street from Filbert to Market Street in addition to the proposed new lab/office building and plaza. The project will serve as the cornerstone as the Science Center expands its mixed-use environment to the former University City High School site. The building will contain flexible wet laboratory space, computational laboratory space, office, retail and a shared work/conference meeting space. The building will be designed for 60% office and 40% laboratory. It will have a steel frame and composite metal deck structural system designed to 100 PSF live loads. The thermally enhanced building envelope will be a combination of curtain wall and panelized wall systems. The roof will be energy rated with a native and non-invasive vegetative green roof system. The building will have a high performance HVAC system. It will be designed to LEED Silver standards.

Last edited by PhillyPhan95; 07-16-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,571,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Dow Chemical to exit Center City, move 350 staffers to Collegeville

Unfortunate for Center City. 350 jobs heading to Montgomery County :/
La Colombe just opened on the ground floor. And the Independence Beer Garden says it doesn't affect them.

I guess you saw some of the article comments about commuting headaches regarding Collegeville. Ick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia