Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 05:17 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Yes! I have heard that the ROW around 69th Street originally for the trolley is now a private busway owned by SEPTA. I haven't rode this route, so I'm not too familiar as to how it gets to Ardmore, but I have researched the history of the P&W and suburban trolley routes.

You're also right that I'm referring to the Route 104 trolley that originally traveled down West Chester Pike. I heard that the ROW was given up to PennDOT so that they could expand West Chester Pike sometime in the 1950s. There's still a stub-end just past 69th Street, but it's used for storage. I always noticed it as a little kid and teenager, but never knew why it was there until I became interested in transportation planning.
When it was a trolley, the 103 Ardmore bus ran up tracks in the median of West Chester Pike (shared with the trolley to West Chester until that line was abandoned in the early 1950s) and Darby Road to just below Eagle Road in Oakmont. There it followed a short spur off Darby Road to reach the PROW, which begins at Eagle Road. That PROW is now the busway used by the 103.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:55 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When it was a trolley, the 103 Ardmore bus ran up tracks in the median of West Chester Pike (shared with the trolley to West Chester until that line was abandoned in the early 1950s) and Darby Road to just below Eagle Road in Oakmont. There it followed a short spur off Darby Road to reach the PROW, which begins at Eagle Road. That PROW is now the busway used by the 103.
Thank you for that information, MarketStEl! I now understand the route the 103 takes.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Here are some completed and upcoming projects occurring at PHL:

Construction Projects

I really hope that PHL gets a 5th runway. I also wish that someone would try and get an underground refueling system added to the Capacity Enhancement Program (CEP). PHL is the largest airport in the world to not have an underground refueling system. With our ascending national and global recognition, PHL should really strive to make improvements as it is among one of the most hated airports in the U.S.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 AM

Sorry for multiple posts in one night, but this article is interesting:

These Are the Top 20 Cities Americans Are Ditching - Bloomberg Business

Out of the 100 most populous MSAs, 20 of them are loosing residents to domestic migration by varying rates. The New York MSA is loosing residents at the second highest rate; only the El Paso MSA surpasses it. While the MSAs of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago all made the list at #2, #14, and #6, respectively, the Philadelphia MSA was not on the list! I wish they would have conducted a follow-up study as to where the most domestic migration is occurring within the 100 most popular MSAs.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Sorry for multiple posts in one night, but this article is interesting:

These Are the Top 20 Cities Americans Are Ditching - Bloomberg Business

Out of the 100 most populous MSAs, 20 of them are loosing residents to domestic migration by varying rates. The New York MSA is loosing residents at the second highest rate; only the El Paso MSA surpasses it. While the MSAs of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago all made the list at #2, #14, and #6, respectively, the Philadelphia MSA was not on the list! I wish they would have conducted a follow-up study as to where the most domestic migration is occurring within the 100 most popular MSAs.
Yes, saw that on other c-d boards.

I sometimes follow other city boards just out of curiosity. On the LA board a most active thread is how expensive it is to live there. Then there are semi-active ones about rainfall/drought and the massive homeless problems. All reasons to leave LA.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
The thing is, this is not news. People have always been leaving big expensive cities at a high rate. Especially NYC. The thing is whether or not people are being replaced at a higher rate than they are leaving. And NYC right now is at peak population and still growing at a decent rate.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Here are some completed and upcoming projects occurring at PHL:

Construction Projects

I really hope that PHL gets a 5th runway. I also wish that someone would try and get an underground refueling system added to the Capacity Enhancement Program (CEP). PHL is the largest airport in the world to not have an underground refueling system. With our ascending national and global recognition, PHL should really strive to make improvements as it is among one of the most hated airports in the U.S.
They also need to focus on attracting more international carriers. Right now there are only 4 foreign carriers (British, Lufthansa, Air Canada, and Qatar) that fly to Philadelphia. That is pittance compared to Logan, JFK/Newark, and Dulles.

I've also never understood the hatred for PHL or US Airways. I've flown out of and into PHL on US Airways multiple times and have never had a problem. Am I missing something?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
They also need to focus on attracting more international carriers. Right now there are only 4 foreign carriers (British, Lufthansa, Air Canada, and Qatar) that fly to Philadelphia. That is pittance compared to Logan, JFK/Newark, and Dulles.

I've also never understood the hatred for PHL or US Airways. I've flown out of and into PHL on US Airways multiple times and have never had a problem. Am I missing something?
I absolutely agree with this! We should do everything in our power to court other international carriers. I would love to see carriers such as Emirates, Air France, Qantas, JAL, South African, etc., have flights that originate from Philly. This is why I see the CEP as something that absolutely needs to happen. The extension of runways 9L/27R and 9R/27L will be essential to bringing in larger aircraft. The 5th runway included in the plan would relieve congestion. From there, we should really focus on constructing an underground fueling system, along with an increase in capacity at Terminal A West to accommodate the increased amount of international carriers. We should also try and add capacity for an Airbus A380. When I flew from JFK to CDG outside of Paris, I flew on an Air France Airbus A380. Once we landed, we taxied to a relatively remote location of Charles de Gaulle that had capacity for an A380.

Also, I never understood it either. I flew out of PHL twice, both times to Seattle. I flew in 2005 (age 10) and 2008 (age 12), respectively. I flew out of Terminal F in 2005 and Terminal E in 2008. I found PHL to be clean and up-to-date both times I was there. I think the complaints are about the people who work at the airport, as well as the car rental companies. Other than that, you can't really beat being 5 miles from Center City!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:09 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Speaking of which..

Frontier Airlines Adds Non-Stop Philly Flights

Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What a great coincidence! I'm a huge transportation advocate and love to hear news like this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia