Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Holly Otterbein is one of the best political reporters in this city, and I've said so to her face. Guess I need to read my own colleagues more.

But as Otterbein herself notes in that article, most of the properties subject to the liens were owned by speculators and other investors who were just sitting on the land, not homeowners.

I think there's a big difference between punishing a real deadbeat and cutting off the legs of a homeowner who may have gotten in a jam, and I also think that the latter should be offered an option that allows them to keep their homes while repaying their obligations.

Now, I do understand that the city already offers repayment plans for delinquent taxpayers, and since that's the case, maybe the two-by-four across the head of a sheriff's sale warning might be the best way to handle these homeowners.

And don't get me wrong - I trust Clarke about as far as I can throw him on many grounds because I think that his main goal (besides the usual one of self-preservation) is not so much "poverty pimping" (though that does advance Goal One by keeping a lot of his base of support in his district) as making sure whatever benefits there are flow to his politically connected favorites. (Some of the issues he says he cares about are ones I care about too, like "workforce housing." But - despite my getting an announcement that he's going to do some ribbon-cutting on the first fruits of his initiative in this area over in West Poplar next week - I suspect whose interests he's working for when he had the city sit on vacant lots in Francisville that developers were ready to build on, and build units that were within range of single younger buyers to boot, and when he backed that recent downzoning that deprived Rahil Raza of much of his feedstock for the workforce housing he is building.) But when he does the right thing, even if for the wrong reasons, I will give him credit where it's due, hence my reporting on that city initiative to clear the basic-systems-repair-assistance backlog.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-20-2017 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Holly Otterbein is one of the best political reporters in this city, and I've said so to her face. Guess I need to read my own colleagues more.

But as Otterbein herself notes in that article, most of the properties subject to the liens were owned by speculators and other investors who were just sitting on the land, not homeowners.

I think there's a big difference between punishing a real deadbeat and cutting off the legs of a homeowner who may have gotten in a jam, and I also think that the latter should be offered an option that allows them to keep their homes while repaying their obligations.

Now, I do understand that the city already offers repayment plans for delinquent taxpayers, and since that's the case, maybe the two-by-four across the head of a sheriff's sale warning might be the best way to handle these homeowners.

And don't get me wrong - I trust Clarke about as far as I can throw him on many grounds because I think that his main goal (besides the usual one of self-preservation) is not so much "poverty pimping" (though that does advance Goal One by keeping a lot of his base of support in his district) as making sure whatever benefits there are flow to his politically connected favorites. (Some of the issues he says he cares about are ones I care about too, like "workforce housing." But - despite my getting an announcement that he's going to do some ribbon-cutting on the first fruits of his initiative in this area over in West Poplar next week - I suspect whose interests he's working for when he had the city sit on vacant lots in Francisville that developers were ready to build on, and build units that were within range of single younger buyers to boot, and when he backed that recent downzoning that deprived Rahil Raza of much of his feedstock for the workforce housing he is building.) But when he does the right thing, even if for the wrong reasons, I will give him credit where it's due, hence my reporting on that city initiative to clear the basic-systems-repair-assistance backlog.
Idk if it is legal or not, but I would love to see the city prioritize the sale of delinquent lots owned by developers/speculators/etc. and not single family home owners.

I support the home improvement initiative and think fixing up backlogged houses is a novel idea especially if the .1% increase in the transfer tax is as marginal for most buyers.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Behind the Stunning Fountain Makeover at Longwood Gardens - Philadelphia Magazine

Worth a visit for those who have never been.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Run for office. Stop saying you're not a politician. Or encourage more people to think about running. Look what happened wrt Krasner.
Yeah, I'd rather not be surrounded by scumbags with the false sense that I'm going to sort this mess out. I'll vote and volunteer, and even talk about change, but I'm not getting into politics. I appreciate your drive on this stuff though.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, I'd rather not be surrounded by scumbags with the false sense that I'm going to sort this mess out. I'll vote and volunteer, and even talk about change, but I'm not getting into politics. I appreciate your drive on this stuff though.
Younger people need to vote in every election. I really do not get the sense that they understand that.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Younger people need to vote in every election. I really do not get the sense that they understand that.
I don't think that they're thinking about it all that much. Too many distractions.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Hotel mulled for historic Girard Building at East Market development site

Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM

Afaik, that entire block(11th-12th Market-Chestnut)including the Girard Bldg and the new East Market development, was part of the Girard estate assets.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Philly police department HQ to move into former Inquirer, Daily News building on N. Broad

Old 05-24-2017, 02:45 PM

So we're going to spend another bundle renovating another building that's been empty for years. Great.

There was a plan to move the city morgue and ME to 46th and Market too. Guess that won't happen now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia