Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Agreed. And, and any expansion of the Rail Park is years and years away.

Few really go into the Rodin now and construction of that condo would obviously impact it. But that said, it would be a terrific addition to the area which is already fairly busy.

One of the reasons I don't like some, not all, of what she writes is that lately it seems to be back-handed Negadelphianism.
Of course there is an audience for those beliefs.
Though this mid-rise is glass, I actually think its quite attractive in the rendering, one of the more attractive residential projects in the city.

She did actually give the new Comcast Tower a positive review. That is the first positive critique from here in months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Few really go into the Rodin now and construction of that condo would obviously impact it. But that said, it would be a terrific addition to the area which is already fairly busy.
That intersection (21st and Hamilton) needs a traffic light badly. Between the Wawa, the Whole Foods, the pedestrian traffic, and three (?) bus routes, the four-way stop isn't cutting it.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Though this mid-rise is glass, I actually think its quite attractive in the rendering, one of the more attractive residential projects in the city.

She did actually give the new Comcast Tower a positive review. That is the first positive critique from here in months.
Yes, I like it. It will fit in nicely among City View, Dalion, Granary, Museum Towers expansion, Parkway House and the massive Philadelphian.

Luckily Comcast doesn't care what she thinks nor should they.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
That intersection (21st and Hamilton) needs a traffic light badly. Between the Wawa, the Whole Foods, the pedestrian traffic, and three (?) bus routes, the four-way stop isn't cutting it.
Correct. Both 20th and 21st and Hamilton need traffic lights!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Yes, I like it. It will fit in nicely among City View, Dalion, Granary, Museum Towers expansion, Parkway House and the massive Philadelphian.

She raved about the second Comcast tower, remember.

One of her main concerns about the midrise shouldn't be dismissed lightly. We have ample evidence of glass buildings concentrating sunlight and reflecting it as heat to places on the ground, which then cook. (Surely some of you as kids did that experiment where you held a magnifying glass over a piece of paper and burned a hole in the paper as a result.)

There was a tower in London where the reflected rays damaged cars parked on the street next to it.

And in her column, she writes of a museum in Dallas that had to close and alter its sculpture garden because of the concentrated sunlight coming off an apartment tower that was built behind it. The heat has also damaged some paintings in its collection.

This could happen with this building and the Rodin, but the developer never did a light study. The Municipal Art Commission has ordered the developer to perform one. I think that's a wise move, and if it comes back that the rays reflected from the glass may damage works on display in the Rodin, then back to the drawing board.

As for the cap over the proposed Rail Park, which I've called a dumb idea on this side of Broad Street, I agree with her too: why doesn't the developer spend the money instead to install a piece of park in the trench, if what they're worried about really is the view from the apartments?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:

You must be confusing Comcast with kyb01. I guarantee that Comcast cares about the biggest review it will see in regard to its latest architectural achievement, and all the publicity that follows. Front page article, demonstrating how state-of-the-art its facilities are, capturing the attention of recruiters, talent, and many other interested parties.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
You must be confusing Comcast with kyb01. I guarantee that Comcast cares about the biggest review it will see in regard to its latest architectural achievement, and all the publicity that follows. Front page article, demonstrating how state-of-the-art its facilities are, capturing the attention of recruiters, talent, and many other interested parties.
Yes - of course they appreciate that the city’s Pulitzer Prize winning architecture critic raved about their building all over the front page of Sunday’s Inquirer. Sure beats a pan.

I actually read the article on Friday, published by the St Louis Post-Dispatch. Wonder how many other papers around the country publised her article? Good publicity for Inga, Comcast and Philadelphia.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't read the Inquirer regularly anymore so I wouldn't have seen that article.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM

Some big news in development today... Potential new high rise on Washington Square Park, and a new Moxy Hotel.

A new Washington Square high-rise? Philly developer tries again to build condo tower over Dilworth House

http://www.philly.com/real-estate/co...-20190115.html

Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 PM

Raymond G. Perelman, master investor and philanthropist, dies at 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia