Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 08:21 AM

33 posts, read 70,806 times

Advertisements

Basically I want to know if there are any other areas we should consider.

What we like about this area:
  • Commutable to Collegeville, where my husband will work.
  • Good school district.
  • New constructions on larger plots of land (have lived in a 40 year old house for the last 5 years, we'd like to do something newer with potentially less maintenance.)
  • A more rural setting with access to shopping. Best of both worlds in our eyes.
  • Seemingly active recreational department with lots to offer our small kids.
So knowing that, is there anywhere else you recommend we look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
Basically I want to know if there are any other areas we should consider.

What we like about this area:
  • Commutable to Collegeville, where my husband will work.
  • Good school district.
  • New constructions on larger plots of land (have lived in a 40 year old house for the last 5 years, we'd like to do something newer with potentially less maintenance.)
  • A more rural setting with access to shopping. Best of both worlds in our eyes.
  • Seemingly active recreational department with lots to offer our small kids.
So knowing that, is there anywhere else you recommend we look?
I could see Collegeville being at least a 45 minute commute, maybe an hour with traffic.

I agree that D'Town and Chester Springs are great areas, but that commute could be tough. If you really do like ths area, I'd also look at Exton/Lionville. Some of the construction is not quite as new, but also a very good area.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:00 PM

I think we'd probably stay on the northern part of Downingtown. I'd like to stay in Downingtown East High School, if possible. A lot of the houses I was preliminarily looking at were closer to 30-40 minutes. Is that not realistic in traffic?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
I think we'd probably stay on the northern part of Downingtown. I'd like to stay in Downingtown East High School, if possible. A lot of the houses I was preliminarily looking at were closer to 30-40 minutes. Is that not realistic in traffic?
I think that 30-40 minutes at off peak times is realistic. Probably not at rush hour. Part of the problem is that there is no great route from D'Town up to Collegeville. You either take 113 through Phoenixville and then 29 - which are both local roads with lights, lots of local traffic, etc. OR you take 30 to 202 to 422, which is significantly longer mileagewise. All three of these highways are heavily traveled. 422 is often a parking lot during rush hour.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM

So good to know. This is the kind of information that is impossible to realize when planning a move from three states away. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM

178 posts, read 583,306 times
Schwenksville is full of transplants, and lots of new houses and townhouses with good amounts of land, very quick to Collegeville, and certainly less expensive then Chester County.

Only about 45 min to Philly (no traffic) and very easy access to the Western parts of PA.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

178 posts, read 583,306 times
There is a gigantic YMCA, and a few little shopping plazas in Royersford, restaurants-some upscale stuff near Skippack-a very quaint little expensive town, like 5 minutes away with cute stone stores and sidewalks. I'd live in Skippack if I could afford it I would rather live in that area than that South end, only b/c my husband has been working down there on a job the past few weeks and the traffic he hits (through Norristown/Pheonixville and a little West of there) is horrendous, they are always doing some work on the highway, or have been lately and it's congested. I thin a lot of people commute through there to get to work in Philly. But if you lived and worked in Chester, that area is really nice too, I just wouldn't want to cross through all that junk there.

Schwenksville is only the next town above Collegeville, I used to live there. There are a few developments that have like a 100 kids and sit outside and the kids all play and the watch the game outdoors or what not. I was only there for 6 months, so I don't know about the schools, but I met a lot of people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia