Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 AM

33 posts, read 70,536 times

Advertisements

cpomp -why? Which towns? Like I said I used google maps, admittedly not the most accurate to make a rough list of towns to look at all within an hour of Collegeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM

434 posts, read 1,307,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
cpomp -why? Which towns? Like I said I used google maps, admittedly not the most accurate to make a rough list of towns to look at all within an hour of Collegeville.
lhfranklin- Media, Wallingford & Swarthmore are all within an hour of Collegeville, even during rush hour. I know someone who does this as his daily commute... He advised back roads to avoid all the congestion of the 476/76 and 76/202 interchanges. (It is mostly a "reverse commute," but those spots often suck no matter which direction you're headed.) He said it takes 40ish minutes, but he doesn't have to be to work until 9:15/9:30a and returns around 6pm.

The schools are also highly rated (Rose Tree - Media school district or Wallingford-Swarthmore district). The area is also perfect for commuting to Center City Philadelphia too: The Septa regional rail (Media-Elwyn/R3 line) and route 101 trolly are there, and if you have to drive 476 & 95 are quick. (You can also drive or bike straight down Baltimore Pike into University City.)

All that said, you should probably add Phoenixville to your list of potentials. It definitely feels more rural, but what it lacks for me (quick access to Philly, not-as-great schools) it may make up for with a quick Collegeville commute for you. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM

PhillyViaBoston - really good to know. We're planning to check out that area this weekend but I keep looking at the map and trying to figure out how that could be under an hour (just because it looks far), but I'm happy to hear from your friend's experience.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,202,430 times
phillyviaboston pretty much answered it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM

36 posts, read 45,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Some of the towns in Southern NJ would fit your description and budget very nicely. Take a look at Haddon Township (focusing on Westmont, and Haddon Leigh sections of Haddon Township), Haddonfield, Moorestown, Haddon Heights, and Collingswood. Both Haddonfield and Moorestown can be pricey - but depending on the type of home you are looking for (# beds/ baths) you can find something in that price range. Commutes from these towns to center city Phila shouldn't be more than 30 minutes (and in some cases less). There is also a high speed line that is reliable and convenient if one lives in Collingswood, Haddon Township, or Haddonfield.

I'm sure folks will get on here and deter you from considering NJ because of property taxes - but the home prices tend to be lower. So in the end once you consider what you pay for a home + taxes things balance out. I've recently checked out the property taxes in a few places in PA, and it looks like they are starting to catch up with parts of NJ.

Just mind that the bridge toll is going up to $5. Yuck.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,419,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMabel View Post
Just mind that the bridge toll is going up to $5. Yuck.
True - but when gas is nearing $4/gallon and SJ burbs are closer to the city than many PA burbs, it can be a wash cost-wise. Truly there is no perfect area, in my mind. But it's never a bad idea to consider all areas, as an area you never would have considered can surprise you.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM

36 posts, read 45,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
True - but when gas is nearing $4/gallon and SJ burbs are closer to the city than many PA burbs, it can be a wash cost-wise. Truly there is no perfect area, in my mind. But it's never a bad idea to consider all areas, as an area you never would have considered can surprise you.
Very true, and considering where you are going in the city, PATCO runs all night and was always pretty quick. I lived in Collingswood for a year and it was cheaper for me to go to Philly using PATCO then my boyfriend when he drove! Plus, Haddonfield and Collingswood were the safest I felt living-wise.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
Its probably just shows that I don't exactly have my bearings with the area referring to Collegeville north of the city. I should have said north-west.
why aren't you looking at collegeville itself, if that's where he'll be working? skippack is another nice town in the perkiomen valley school district. methacton SD (worcester twp, lower providence twp) would be another obvious choice. i couldn't even imagine commuting there from NJ or some of the places in delaware county.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM

584 posts, read 1,419,210 times
I believe some of us were posting our suggestions in response to the original poster (who is working in CC). The poster working in Collegeville posted later with questions.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Yes, what templeu posted is true. My husband is the one commuting to Collegeville not the original poster. I was only responding to share my list of towns as I also have small kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia