U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM

54 posts, read 73,539 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I've posted here many times and found helpful advice, so I'm coming back once again. My spouse and I and our two kids (2 and 4.5) are relocating to the area from Minnesota. My spouse is actually already there (renting a room in Elkins Park) and I just got back from a house-hunting visit out there. I'd love for the kids and I to be able to move out there as soon as possible.

These are the things we're looking for in the community where we want to live:
1) Very good public schools (especially at the elementary level)
2) A very family-oriented community where you know and are friends with (not just friendly with) your neighbors
3) Either a pool as part of the neighborhood (maintained by the homeowner's assocation) or a great club (ideally one with fitness and daycare as well) nearby with a pool that is a good place to socialize with others who live in the area
4) Ideally not much more than a 30-minute commute for my spouse, who will be working in an industrial area just on the east side of the Northeast Philadelphia airport (which you may not have heard of because it's a small corporate airport or something like that)
5) Although it's not as important, we'd love to have a cute, walkable downtown nearby
6) Also, an added complication is that I will finish my PhD and be looking for a job within the next year or so at a college or university, so we would like to try to avoid getting too far away from where the majority of these are concentrated

We're probably asking a lot, I know. But we have all that where we are right now, so it's hard to let go of these conveniences.

Originally our house hunt was focused on the Abington and Lower Moreland school districts. Unfortunately we didn't find anything we loved (did find a house we really like, but aren't sold on the specific neighborhood). So we're starting to explore other areas. I'd heard good things about Newtown, Yardley, and Langhorne, and parts of them aren't too much farther from my spouse's job, so we've started looking there. We really like the area because it seems so family-oriented and even has neighborhoods like Newtown Grant that have shared recreation facilities (previously we'd thought that was an impossible dream based on our partly European mindset). In addition, the downtown area is great and the Newtown Athletic Club is just what we're looking for. But I'm worried those areas are getting too far from any colleges or universities where I might find a job (except Princeton).

So, here's the big question: What other areas should we be looking at that are similar to Newtown and Yardley in the ways I've described, but that might also be a shorter commute (ideally 30 minutes max.) from my spouse's job in NE Philly and the city (or other major college and univeristy towns)?

Do any of the following fit that bill: Hatboro-Horsham school district? Upper Dublin school district? Springfield Township school district? Wissahickon school district? If so, which areas specifically? Any neighborhoods to focus on?

Oh, and our housing budget is around $400k.

Thank you in advance for your help! Having only spent five days in the area and considering moving my kids there, I need all the insight I can get!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM

674 posts, read 1,370,570 times
I think youre overestimating your commute from Yardley/newtown/langhorne.. If you go west of the city, you are going to deal with MUCH more traffic than you will from the NE suburbs. Honestly, Langhorne to NE philly is MAX 15 min in the morning. MAX. Yardley/newtown to NE philly, MAX 25 min. All of these towns are below your 30 minute commute.

Just to give you an idea.. my parents live a few minutes away from your wifes job. I live in Yardley. When we are on vacation, it takes my mom 14 minutes drive time to let our dog out 3x a day when we go away. Not kidding.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,563,314 times
Feedback on these Yardley Subdivisions/neighborhoods

this may help a bit, its a thread about various neighborhoods in yardley.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM

54 posts, read 73,539 times
Thanks for all the insight, especially with regards to commute times (MapQuest isn't always the best source). To clarify, I'm not looking for places west of the city, but for suburbs similar to Newtown and Yardley that are west of Newtown and Yardley (i.e. in Montgomery County instead of Bucks). Hatboro and Horsham are ones I've come across that seem to have a similar feel. Thoughts?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,563,314 times
im not all that familar with those sections of montgomery county, i know they are all nice townships, none of them should be avoided. Would you ever consider delaware county? chester county would be too far out for you

Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 PM

2,403 posts, read 2,332,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
im not all that familar with those sections of montgomery county, i know they are all nice townships, none of them should be avoided. Would you ever consider delaware county? chester county would be too far out for you
Her husband will be working near Northeast Airport (in the part of Philly known as the Far Northeast). Bucks and MontCo will offer much better commuting times than DelCo.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 AM

908 posts, read 933,093 times
the upper dublin /ft washington area would work well from a location perspective. you could take train from the ft washington station to go to CC if you needed and you have easy access to the PA turnpike for commute east/west. that convenience comes at a price - not sure what you're looking for exactly, but may be difficult to find a typical 4 BR in good condition in a nice neighborhood for $400K in upper dublin. from my experiene, they start in the $500's in Upper Dublin. Horsham twp would also be good from a location/school perspective, as would the neighboring wissahickon and north penn school districts. in general, as you go further north it will get marginally less expensive. i would recommend staying close to an entrance to either the PA turnpike or the Ft Washington Expressway (Rt 309, south of Welsh Rd) for commuting purposes.

in terms of pools, upper dublin and north wales/upper gwynedd have municipal pools. horsham does not have one. not sure about the other areas. there are also some private clubs (ft washington swim and tennis, philadelphia sports club highpoint) with outdoor pools that serve the area. also, there are ymca's in hatboro, ambler, and lansdale. when i was looking around the area, i don't recall seeing any communities with their own pool, but i'm sure there are some.

montgomery county in general does not have a ton of walkable downtowns, but ambler, north wales, lansdale, and hatboro all have one in varying degrees of redevelopment. there is no downtown in upper dublin or horsham. check out this site http://www.classictowns.org/explore

in terms of neighborhoods where everyone is friends with each other, i just don't think that really exists in suburbia. probably more likely to find that in the downtown areas, which have their own set of pros and cons.

Last edited by Angus215; 07-31-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM

183 posts, read 429,403 times
You will be happy in Yardley or Newtown, and it's an easy commute. You will not find similar communities closer to the airport. Hatboro would be an option with a decent downtown, but the commute is a little trickier.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM

674 posts, read 1,370,570 times
How about Ambler or Blue Bell? Really though, they don't compare to Yardley/Newtown in my opinion, and distance to work would be much longer.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 AM

908 posts, read 933,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
How about Ambler or Blue Bell? Really though, they don't compare to Yardley/Newtown in my opinion, and distance to work would be much longer.
The OP wants to stay closer to colleges and universities, which are concentrated in philadelphia and the western suburbs. i would not want to have to commute to penn/drexel/temple from yardley or newtown. the upper dublin/ambler/north wales area has good train access to the city and is still convenient to the turnpike. that area may be ideal for the OPs particular needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia