U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,870,849 times

Advertisements

Was trying to plan something for this November for a visit. I was looking at the Best Western Independence Park. I didn't see any bad reviews. Anyone have any reviews on here on this hotel? Also, I'll be going myself. I'm going to ask my cousin if she is around if she wants to meet me there, but I don't know if she will. Is it pretty much ok, as in safety wise, to walk around by myself in the area? I also want to visit Eastern State Penitentiary and the Mutter Museum.

Do they have the holiday decorations out by the middle of November? And how is it usually temperature wise?

If I can't plan something for November, then I will be going next year in November, so I could still use the input.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,599,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Was trying to plan something for this November for a visit. I was looking at the Best Western Independence Park. I didn't see any bad reviews. Anyone have any reviews on here on this hotel? Also, I'll be going myself. I'm going to ask my cousin if she is around if she wants to meet me there, but I don't know if she will. Is it pretty much ok, as in safety wise, to walk around by myself in the area? I also want to visit Eastern State Penitentiary and the Mutter Museum.

Do they have the holiday decorations out by the middle of November? And how is it usually temperature wise?

If I can't plan something for November, then I will be going next year in November, so I could still use the input.

You will be safe in that area. If you are flying, you can take public transportation from the airport to the hotel or pay the standard cab fee to center city from the airport.

Can't give you reviews on the hotel but there are a few others in that area.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,308,667 times
Quote:

Can't say anything about the hotel, but as for everything else:

The Art Museum Area and Center City are pretty safe. It's a city, things can happen, even downtown as I'm sure you're aware. That said, I wouldn't let it dissuade you from seeing the sights, they're all in well traveled, well watched areas. Eastern State, you might want to take a cab just because its a bit of a walk with all the things you want to see, but if you're walking you can go right up Fairmount Ave. from the Art Museum. The Mutter Museum is south of the parkway nearer the Rittenhouse neighborhood.

I dunno about decorations, but probably, especially nearer the end of November. The temperature is variable, but shouldn't be too cold. Usually Novembers are around the 40s-50s in the daytime.

And as far as getting downtown from the airport, forget the cab. You'll pay way too much taking a cab into the city. Take the train instead. A lot cheaper and you can get off at Suburban Station and be right downtown when you get off.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM

I'm aware things can happen anywhere, some places more than others. Being from FL I will so look forward to those temps!!
I'll be taking Amtrak up, no flying for me.
Thanks for your advice!!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,599,726 times
Quote:
I'm aware things can happen anywhere, some places more than others. Being from FL I will so look forward to those temps!!
I'll be taking Amtrak up, no flying for me.
Thanks for your advice!!
If you are coming via Amtrak, it will get you to 30th street station. You can use your Amtrak ticket to ride FREE on the Center City Philadelphia and University City train. You wan to head toward the Market East station (8th and Market street). It's only a 10-15 minutes walk to the hotel.

Weekend Schedule:
http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/...ty_weekend.pdf

Weekday Schedule:
http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/...ty_weekday.pdf

Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM

908 posts, read 935,658 times
That hotel is right in old city, near the historical sights (and a lot of restaurants/bars) so it is a good location. The area is safe and from what i have heard the hotel is pretty good. From the outside, looks like a smaller hotel in an older, somewhat historic building, rather than a large modern hotel. Other good hotels in that area are the Omni, the Society Hill Sheraton, and the Holiday Inn. There are a lot of large hotels a little further away near city hall and the convention center which you may be able to get a better deal on but won't be as convenient.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you are coming via Amtrak, it will get you to 30th street station. You can use your Amtrak ticket to ride FREE on the Center City Philadelphia and University City train. You wan to head toward the Market East station (8th and Market street). It's only a 10-15 minutes walk to the hotel.

Weekend Schedule:
http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/...ty_weekend.pdf

Weekday Schedule:
http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/...ty_weekday.pdf
Thanks for those links!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
That hotel is right in old city, near the historical sights (and a lot of restaurants/bars) so it is a good location. The area is safe and from what i have heard the hotel is pretty good. From the outside, looks like a smaller hotel in an older, somewhat historic building, rather than a large modern hotel. Other good hotels in that area are the Omni, the Society Hill Sheraton, and the Holiday Inn. There are a lot of large hotels a little further away near city hall and the convention center which you may be able to get a better deal on but won't be as convenient.
They say the rooms are smaller because it's an older hotel, but that's ok as long as it has good reviews. Omni was my first choice but didn't have the dates I wanted (at least for this year). The Sheraton was a little more expensive, and the Holiday Inn had bad reviews online so I nixed them.
Thanks for your advice!!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 AM

908 posts, read 935,658 times
Quote:
They say the rooms are smaller because it's an older hotel, but that's ok as long as it has good reviews. Omni was my first choice but didn't have the dates I wanted (at least for this year). The Sheraton was a little more expensive, and the Holiday Inn had bad reviews online so I nixed them.
Thanks for your advice!!
another one to check out is the Thomas Bond House, which is more of an Inn/B&B in a historical townhouse. Never been inside, but looks nice and great location on 2nd street, although it's kind of in the middle of the bar/drinking district of old city.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
another one to check out is the Thomas Bond House, which is more of an Inn/B&B in a historical townhouse. Never been inside, but looks nice and great location on 2nd street, although it's kind of in the middle of the bar/drinking district of old city.
I'll check it out, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia