Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM

159 posts, read 316,886 times

Advertisements

So, it we have found a really lovely victorian house on a great block of students and professors in Spruce Hill. There's probably a 95% chance we're going for it, we were really pleased with the area(though we biked in from center city via market street, and eek, it does get shady up there) - the house is absolutely gorgeous and we have a friend who knows the building manager who was very chilled out and very clear with us that the area is nice, but not necessarily for everyone and still transitioning. Compared to my current neighborhood, it's pure nirvana. But a bit more inconvenient, to me, a temple student who works in center city.

I was wondering some of the public transportation options? It's oddly trying for me, I am ONLY familiar with the broad street line, my bike, and occasionally my car(which is now being sold.) We're near 45th and Spruce, what are my options in terms of public transit?

Can anyone tune me into some cool neighborhood spots?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
I was wondering some of the public transportation options? It's oddly trying for me, I am ONLY familiar with the broad street line, my bike, and occasionally my car(which is now being sold.) We're near 45th and Spruce, what are my options in terms of public transit?

Can anyone tune me into some cool neighborhood spots?

Thanks in advance!
Right there on 45th and Spruce is the 42 bus that would take you into Center City. The return route will let you off on Spruce as well.

Alternately, there is the 34 trolley that runs a few blocks south on Baltimore Avenue. That may not be a bad alternative at times, especially if you're in a hurry to get back home and don't mind a short walk from 45th and Baltimore.

If the city transit workers should ever go on strike again, there is also the West Trenton (formerly "R3)" train stop at 49th and Chester.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Right there on 45th and Spruce is the 42 bus that would take you into Center City. The return route will let you off on Spruce as well.

Alternately, there is the 34 trolley that runs a few blocks south on Baltimore Avenue. That may not be a bad alternative at times, especially if you're in a hurry to get back home and don't mind a short walk from 45th and Baltimore.

If the city transit workers should ever go on strike again, there is also the West Trenton (formerly "R3)" train stop at 49th and Chester.

Fantastic! How often do the trolleys run? I I was exploring the neighborhood a bit today with my umbrella in tow, and it's great! I thought I was having to compromise living outside of center city, but I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Fantastic! How often do the trolleys run?
About as frequently as the El or subway would at comparable times.

University City (including Spruce Hill) is the most convenient area outside of downtown IMO when it comes to mass transit coverage.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM

Perfect! It's going to take a little more planning for me to commute to temple as opposed to my last neighborhood, but so worth it, and still pretty easy.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Perfect! It's going to take a little more planning for me to commute to temple as opposed to my last neighborhood, but so worth it, and still pretty easy.
I do this commute every day from Cedar Park, just up the street, and have not had problems with it. Hop on the 34 then transfer at City Hall to the BSL. Takes about half an hour, but if I time everything just right I can do it in about 20 minutes. It's definitely worth it. Unless you want to live within walking distance of Temple's campus, you have to commute, and it's what you have to do if you're looking for a nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: