Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 PM

22 posts, read 37,987 times

Advertisements

Should the build more upscale malls at the Gallery Mall. I think the only reason why the rif raffs or the immature youths flock to the Gallery is because they have really cheap retail stores like K-Mart, Ross, etc.

If Philadelphia government wants to bring more tourists into the city then they need to make stores that can appeal to people.

They can keep Old Navy, Footlocker and even the video game stores but they should build stores like Ann Taylor, Neiman Marcus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
The should tear it down and put an office building in its place

Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 37,987 times
would that defeat the purpose of Market St.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times
The structure itself is part of the problem, but I doubt demolishing it is possible, so yes I'd say renovate, and turn part of it into a nice IMAX-centered multiplex like the one in King of Prussia. Philly needs an upscale mainstream movie theater complex, the Ritz is great but I never want to watch the art movie crap they have on and the rest of Philly's movie theaters are not so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila.e View Post

Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila.e View Post
Not unless you think the purpose of east Market St is too be a scar on the face of center city, or to attract the undesirable elements of society

Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Although I think low-to-middle-income people deserve a convenient place to shop, I also agree that the Gallery would benefit from more upscale retail. My guess is that those would-be retailers have already run an analysis of the Gallery which they saw as unfavorable. Or perhaps the city didn't kick in any (or enough) financial incentives for the Neiman Marcuses of the world to open up there.

Regarding the movie theater idea, I'd sooner see that built at the "Disney Quest" parking lot on 8th and Market.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
The structure itself is part of the problem, but I doubt demolishing it is possible, so yes I'd say renovate, and turn part of it into a nice IMAX-centered multiplex like the one in King of Prussia. Philly needs an upscale mainstream movie theater complex, the Ritz is great but I never want to watch the art movie crap they have on and the rest of Philly's movie theaters are not so great.
The movie theater is so true

Also to offset the space something like Dave and Busters might be a good fit. the gallery is large and they are making some to the Market Street frontage more open to the street which will help tememdously.

Also on the office buildings. the galery with the structure to put at least two towers if required. Philly needs more office space (but moreso to attract jobs in the first place) . also the gallery could easially handle a hotel that would be linked to the Convention center on top. With more entertainment options like a movie theater and a D&B as an example. that could halp bring more people to the space.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Normally I'd say that government isn't really in the business of "building stores". But in this case, with all the public money that's been poured into that monstrosity of a convention center at the expense of a vibrant neighborhood, it seems only right that something be actively done to make the retail front door of this place, that's supposed to be attractive and fun to out of town visitors, less of an embarrassing eyesore.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,892 times
The central business district on the west side of city hall has multiple lots that need to be filled with office buildings, so no need to put office buildings on market east side yet. I think spicing up the current gallery building and adding nicer stores is a cheaper way to go, but the best would probably be to knock it down and start from scratch. It's embarrassing that market east is such a dump

Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Put a police substation in the Mall complete with police dogs. That'll chase the riff raff away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia