Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

This place has delicious food and it's only located in the suburbs of the city. They can have a store in University city in the heart of penn or in center city near JFK. You defintely wouldn't out a panera bread in the gallery or chestut street near wendy's, But these are the current locations

Cherry Hill, NJ
voorhees, NJ
Morristown, NJ
Delran, NJ
Mt, Laurel, NJ
Broomall, PA
Wynewood, PA
Springfield, PA
Conshohocken, PA
Willow Grove, PA

Is this ever going to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
It's not really that good. Considering Philadelphia is a sandwich city, and you can get good sandwiches for cheap anywhere, as well as good bread, that's probably your answer (although somehow there are plenty of subways here...never been able to figure that out).

It's also a pretty suburban chain to begin with - the whole concept of places like that is to try to fill a void (that is, less neighborhood delis and cafes in the suburbs, particularly automobile suburbs)

But you're right, if they did come to the city, they'd probably be on JFK or Market West. They'd probably be open like 7-5, in accordance to the fact that most of their customers would be commuters.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Their food is fairly good, but you can find better, that's one factor. I mostly agree with the above post, also. Also take note of the demographics of their typical customers, 1) middle aged, middle class, middle income white people, and 2) some college students, but not exactly the starbucks hippster types, more like the studious, I need some food to eat while I study types.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Considering Philadelphia is a sandwich city, and you can get good sandwiches for cheap anywhere, as well as good bread, that's probably your answer (although somehow there are plenty of subways here...never been able to figure that out).
Agreed. That would be my guess.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Their food is fairly good, but you can find better, that's one factor. I mostly agree with the above post, also. Also take note of the demographics of their typical customers, 1) middle aged, middle class, middle income white people, and 2) some college students, but not exactly the starbucks hippster types, more like the studious, I need some food to eat while I study types.
Cosi's has the same customers

Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It's not really that good. Considering Philadelphia is a sandwich city, and you can get good sandwiches for cheap anywhere, as well as good bread, that's probably your answer (although somehow there are plenty of subways here...never been able to figure that out).

It's also a pretty suburban chain to begin with - the whole concept of places like that is to try to fill a void (that is, less neighborhood delis and cafes in the suburbs, particularly automobile suburbs)

But you're right, if they did come to the city, they'd probably be on JFK or Market West. They'd probably be open like 7-5, in accordance to the fact that most of their customers would be commuters.
Not that good? They have several kinds of fancy bread which makes the place great.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
They're really not that good. I don't understand the ecstatic behavior that happened when one opened near me.

Someone already answered your question, their preferred customer profile isn't typically found in the city. Except maybe DC.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not that good? They have several kinds of fancy bread which makes the place great.
I didn't say it was bad, necessarily. I used to actually buy bread there from time to time when I lived in Minneapolis and good bread was harder to come by. Semolina bread. I'd fry slices up in olive oil and make mini tomato pies. Pretty good.

The company has other urban locations. They had a couple in downtown Minneapolis, at least. The one closest to me was one of the few things open later at night, so I'd even do that once in a while. I'm sure if they thought a profit was to be made here, they'd open one up. A couple of their direct corporate competitors have operations in the city. Brueggers Bagels, Einstein Bagels (University City), Manhattan Bagel, Corner Baker, Potbelly. So I'm guessing they pretty much know what to expect out of a Center City location. One of the Potbellies, another place I went to when I lived in Minneapolis and good food was harder to come by, just closed up shop, I heard - which is sort of what I'm saying.

It's really not that hard to get good bread in Philadelphia. Or a sandwhich. Or a cafe. Or a cup of coffee. Or even a bagel (which is actually the hardest). Which is perhaps why they're in Broomall instead (Never been there, so nothing personal).

Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was bad, necessarily. I used to actually buy bread there from time to time when I lived in Minneapolis and good bread was harder to come by. Semolina bread. I'd fry slices up in olive oil and make mini tomato pies. Pretty good.

The company has other urban locations. They had a couple in downtown Minneapolis, at least. The one closest to me was one of the few things open later at night, so I'd even do that once in a while. I'm sure if they thought a profit was to be made here, they'd open one up. A couple of their direct corporate competitors have operations in the city. Brueggers Bagels, Einstein Bagels (University City), Manhattan Bagel, Corner Baker, Potbelly. So I'm guessing they pretty much know what to expect out of a Center City location. One of the Potbellies, another place I went to when I lived in Minneapolis and good food was harder to come by, just closed up shop, I heard - which is sort of what I'm saying.

It's really not that hard to get good bread in Philadelphia. Or a sandwhich. Or a cafe. Or a cup of coffee. Or even a bagel (which is actually the hardest). Which is perhaps why they're in Broomall instead (Never been there, so nothing personal).

Well tell me where I can get good bread in Philadelphia so I can go buy it tomorrow?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
By comparison, Cosi has 6 locations in Center City and another 2 in University City.

I would guess Cosi & Panera attract same type of customer. So, yes, I suppose the lack of Panera in Philly is strange!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia