Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Bryn Mawr considered to be diverse? While the volume isn't huge, it is definitely there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Cheltenham is in Montgomery County. It's about 2/3 white and 1/4 black, with the rest mostly Asian. The real estate taxes there tend to be a lot higher than surrounding communities.
I meant montgomery county, i bunched the last towns together and forgot cheltenham was in different county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why isn't Bryn Mawr considered to be diverse? While the volume isn't huge, it is definitely there.

Byrn Mawr is a very wealthy/expensive area, though close to philadelphia that still doesnt make it what i would call diverse. It is mostly white, and a small black and asian population. Its a trendy area in the sense of the wealth and reputation that goes along with living in Bryn Mawr, so that diverse, though i dont think you would be discriminated against on the terms of race.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM

100 posts, read 328,817 times
chester and upper darby are dumps.

Chester is all black, no diversity. Upper darby is white.... mixed with... black, again not very desirable.

West chester has a good mix of people, indian, black, hispanic, white, etc.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-30-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: watch the stereotypes...

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
chester and upper darby are dumps.

Chester is all black, no diversity. Upper darby is white.... mixed with... black, again not very desirable.

West chester has a good mix of people, indian, black, hispanic, white, etc.

Inaccurate very negative statements, do some research.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z100 View Post
I might be looking at the suburbs of Philadelphia in PA. I'm moving from Essex County, NJ and I want to live in a nice and diverse suburb of Philadelphia in PA. What suburbs have a lot of all races and ethnic groups.
How about Norristown, Upper Darby, Chester, Bensalem? I would really like some progressive and safe suburbs that are diverse.
Just search for higher than average crime rates.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM

100 posts, read 328,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Inaccurate very negative statements, do some research.
I disagree with you.

Upper Darby is a combo of lower/middle-class black and white..... I'm sorry, but I would know, I went to high school there and my family is from there (we now live in west chester) Yes it is diverse, there is a large asian and guatamalen presence moving there, but it's still poor and kind of dumpy.
Chester is garbage too, let's be real...theres no diversity there, its just black and being "just black" is not diverse. to be honest, Chester is ugly too, and poor....who wants that? I'm not being negative hunni, just being real.

Wynnwood is a diverse neighborhood outside philly, which is nice. Good little down-town with shops and bars- culturally diverse.

I'm just giving him my opinion. I like diverse too, but i dont like poor and trashy and thats exactly what upper darby and chester....poor and trashy and blighted....str8 up .... no down town areas to chill and catch the scene, just awful. I was at a rita's water ice in upper darby this past summer and a fist fight broke out between 2 black chicks and one of them started spraying mace at the other and the wind blew the mace all over the place and affected other people too----so tacky.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-31-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 PM

well yes chester is very bad in most parts, but i think theres hope many years down the read, But i just felt you were being very harsh. But no i wouldnt reccommend for anyone to move there. West Chester or Media are much better choices.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Norristown is such a hole.
I was thinking that very thing last night, sitting on the front porch, chatting with the neighbors, looking at the flowers they'd planted in their front yards, saying hello to the literally dozens of people out walking their dogs or for exercise ... Such a hole I live in.

Does Norristown have problems? Sure. Are Norristown's problems more pronounced than surrounding cities and towns? Yes.

A hole?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia