Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Hurricane Irene impact Philly?
Nope. Philly is spared 2 9.52%
Yes. We're overdue for a full-fledged hurricane 6 28.57%
No so much, but too bad if you had plans at the shore. 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing we're talkin' about that 'SEPTA smell'. Can't live without it.

Here's what to expect:
Irene Conditions (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6080745615/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No worries Nutter has called for retro-fitting the police helicopters with cloud seeders loaded with Philly smelling beeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,563 times
This morning we see the forecasted track nudge east a bit, sparing Philly hurricane-force gusts. However we're also seeing the storm arrive earlier and in a more powerful state. Category 2 winds will hit the Jersey Shore, and the rainfall amounts for Philly and I-95 look to be epic, as does the resulting flooding. The key is this: the storm is going to hug the coast and be feeding off the ocean the whole way up.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
philly is only supposed to get rain from this hurricane
We'll be getting LOTS of rain and strong wind gusts. You'll see trees coming down on wires, which will lead to power outages. It ain't gonna be fun out there, folks.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
We're dooooooooomed! LOL

What worries me most is the decaying tree in my next-door neighbor's front yard that he refuses to deal with. That and losing power for more than 48 hours.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Good luck to everyone up there in Philly. It'll be here in Richmond in less than 24 hours.

Make sure you have extra batteries, flashlights, plenty of drinking water, candles and a reserve of food. I have a feeling that the lights are going to be out for a lot of people.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Now they are saying the storm is weakening

Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM
FBJ

I don't expect to lose power but if I did I wouldn't have to stock up on water and batteries and fod because I live right next to Sunuco and they have a generator

Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
philly is only supposed to get rain from this hurricane

Rain? Check.

Winds, which you didn't mention, likely to be in the 50mph+ range (that depends, though. My guess closer to 70mph). With rain that will knock down trees and hit overhead electric lines cutting power. Winds above 70mph can snap electric lones on their own without any trees. And don't tell me about the underground lines, a feeder to those can be, and probably is, above ground and if it goes you still lose power.

If you doubt what I say look where I am, then look at a map of MD, then remember what I told you I was doing last night before I responded in your "Phone number" thread.

http://gohsep.la.gov/hurricanerelate...categories.htm

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Rain? Check.

Winds, which you didn't mention, likely to be in the 50mph+ range (that depends, though. My guess closer to 70mph). With rain that will knock down trees and hit overhead electric lines cutting power. Winds above 70mph can snap electric lones on their own without any trees. And don't tell me about the underground lines, a feeder to those can be, and probably is, above ground and if it goes you still lose power.

If you doubt what I say look where I am, then look at a map of MD, then remember what I told you I was doing last night before I responded in your "Phone number" thread.

Hurricane Categories

If I lose power i will still have Internet and Radio and a Gas Station nex door for me to buy water and food

Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
If I lose power i will still have Internet and Radio and a Gas Station nex door for me to buy water and food
If you lose power how will you have internet, unless you have it on your cell phone. Cell systems will get overloaded and you won't get through.

Water? You'll be ok if you're on central water, which you are.

Food? Don't you think others know about the overpriced food at the gas station (which by the way is not really good for you) and will go into hoarding mode?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia