Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Hurricane Irene impact Philly?
Nope. Philly is spared 2 9.52%
Yes. We're overdue for a full-fledged hurricane 6 28.57%
No so much, but too bad if you had plans at the shore. 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you lose power how will you have internet, unless you have it on your cell phone. Cell systems will get overloaded and you won't get through.

Water? You'll be ok if you're on central water, which you are.

Food? Don't you think others know about the overpriced food at the gas station (which by the way is not really good for you) and will go into hoarding mode?
It's on my phone and my laptop has a battery. I probably would just get by on junk food for a couple of days like chips, doritos, and crackers. But my block doesn't have power lines or trees so i will be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's on my phone and my laptop has a battery. I probably would just get by on junk food for a couple of days like chips, doritos, and crackers. But my block doesn't have power lines or trees so i will be fine

Does your block have the electric generating station? If it doesn't, the electric gets to you from elsewhere, usually on overhead lines.

Internet doesn't work without power.

You'll be fine no doubt, you're young and relatively bright (aside from your eccentricities) but you likely won't have main internet. Doesn't cell phone internet cost an arm, a leg and part of a kidney?

Go out and get some real food you can eat without cooking it. Put it in a cooler and ice it down.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Loltrina.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
If it isn't going to be all that windy Sunday, I'll go out and get video of the flooding and post it here.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Perhaps I'm delusional, but I'm looking at the projected path for Irene, comparing it to the current reality. My impression is the storm is tracking to the west and the computer models have not caught up. There is a surprising lack of new information coming from the weather channels, making me think that they are running new simulations to confirm that the westward track is in fact the scenario that is occurring. Hope I am wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. I predict that by noon the forecast for Philly will get a bit worse than it is now. The National Weather Service has the probabilities at 12% for Philly experiencing a full hurricane, and 87% for tropical storm effects. I'm saying it's more like 50/50.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I've got gusts to 30mph here right now along the Chesapeake in SoMd.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
My impression is the storm is tracking to the west and the computer models have not caught up. There is a surprising lack of new information coming from the weather channels, making me think that they are running new simulations to confirm that the westward track is in fact the scenario that is occurring.
That's what they're saying now, and are increasing the rain totals to 8 to 15 inches.

I'm in Norristown. If the storm continues due north, it'll sail right over us. Not raining here yet, but the wind's picking up.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fill up every pitcher and pot I own with water.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default Current situation in Philly

Saturday, Aug. 27, 2011, 5 PM

Here in University City, hardly more than a mile west of Center City:

It is raining, but a light rain, more of drizzle. There is no wind whatsoever.

According to the weather service (as of 5 PM) the "eye" of Irene is located at 36.32 N - 76.0 W [Philadelphia is 39.57 N - 75.10 W]. Maximum win speeds are recorded at 80 MPH; Irene is a Category 1 storm.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
The downed trees and power outages are going to be a major problem. Was just out an hour ago and branches were all over the road and we are just getting started.

Times like this I wish I lived in the city or Lancaster farm country instead of the heavy foliage of the suburbs.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The downed trees and power outages are going to be a major problem. Was just out an hour ago and branches were all over the road and we are just getting started.

Times like this I wish I lived in the city or Lancaster farm country instead of the heavy foliage of the suburbs.

Suburbs were always considered safe but not from Storms and Hurricanes-LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia