Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
You are going to want thermals, no doubt. Get 5 pair or so. You are also going to want long socks (not ankle ones,) and a few hoodies. Get a big coat for the coldest part of winter. Dress in layers. Make sure you get some headgear as well. Your legs and your head are the easiest things to forget about. Everybody remembers to bring a coat... it's the thermals, and hats and scarves that really keep you warm.

I would agree depending on where you are living/working. It is also quite windy here in winter/spring so the wind chill makes it feel even colder, along with the general dampness. I've lived in Upstate NY and NC, so I have seen exteme heat/cold and this is the first winter I wore thermals. That is mainly because my house is poorly insulated and I had to even sleep in them, which I never did before either. If you are going to be in warm places indoors (work/home), you most likely won't need thermal bottoms, but having a pair or two couldn't hurt if you will be doing a lot of walking outdoors. Def get a heavy coat, headgear and gloves and dress in layers. I found wearing thermals didn't make me sweat as I had expected, but not sure I would need them everyday either. It stays in the teens/20s at night, but you get a reasonable amount of sunshine (at least in my one winter here).

Everyone is different. I don't do well in extreme temps, and Philly has their fair share of both and 4 distinct seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 13,535 times
I'm moving from Hawaii to Philly at the end of the month. I'm nervous as hell about winter haha! I haven't been in snow since I was a little girl.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
It's not arctic cold here more than one or two days a year. I get by with a wool-lined raincoat and a heavier-weight fleece parka.

But it is windy as hell in the winter, and damp. Get a windblocking anorak that's big enough to fit over a couple of layers and you'll be fine.

Don't forget gloves and a hat, and a pair of waterproof moccasins or boots.

Usually when you hear people complain about the weather, it's because they've gone out without a hat, or decent shoes.

There is no such thing as bad weather, just improper clothing.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Enough discussion of long underwear! Here's a base shopping list. I don't know your budget - or preppiness level - so take the specific links with a grain of salt.

1 good/warm winter coat. For flexibility consider something with a zip-in liner so that you can make it lighter for the fall & spring. Water-resistant is also a good feature.
Storm Chaser 3-in-1 Jacket: Rain Jackets at L.L.Bean

1 pair *waterproof* boots. "Hiking boots" are fine for snow. Get something with big rubber soles if you're prone to puddles.
Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather: Hiking Boots at L.L.Bean

2 inexpensive wool snow hats/beanies. (Preferably not a baseball cap, but that would be better than nothing.)
2 inexpensive pairs of gloves.
Inexpensive on these items because they're easy to lose and you'll want replacements.
Volcom Woolcott Beanie from Departmentofgoods.com
Black Diamond Welterweight Glove from Departmentofgoods.com

1 pair of flannel- or fleece-lined jeans for those really cold days.
Double L Jeans, Flannel-Lined Classic Fit: Jeans at L.L.Bean

2 heavy-weight hoodies. (NOT a '47 sweatshirt from the bookstore, no matter how stylish.)
Katahdin Iron Works Heavyweight Sweatshirt, Hooded: Sweatshirts at L.L.Bean
Katahdin Iron Works Insulated Sweatshirt with Nor'easter Cotton: Sweatshirts at L.L.Bean

A bunch of long sleeved t-shirts. Layer these under your summer Ts.
Men's Long Sleeve Essential T-shirt from Lands' End

1 Phillies t-shirt.
Philadelphia Phillies Official Wordmark T-Shirt by Majestic Athletic - modells.com

Good luck in school & have fun!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
is the phillies T-shirt to burn for heat when it gets too cold

Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
If you drive, you don't need thermals. If you don't drive, you definitely need them. 20 degrees at 30MPH cuts through jeans or dress pants like they're not even there.

For example, in 2005, when I drove to work, drove everywhere, I didn't need much more than a hoodie. In 2006, when I stopped driving, I had to wear twice the amount of clothing, thermals, scarves, hats, gloves, etc.

Driving takes much of the bite out of winter, when you just have to worry about walking from work to the car. It's different when you have to walk 14 blocks through wind tunnels and wait for buses at 7 AM when it's 11 degrees and windy.
Spot on!
The key is how much time you will spend outside. Also most interior spaces tend to be over heated because they make it comfotable for folks not wearing a coat. Same goes for public transit, usually over heated.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Will you be attending college in Philadelphia? Just bring a couple of hoodies and wait to see what everyone else is wearing after Thanksgiving break. My son's wear hoodies (insulated ones) all winter except for the very coldest weeks. Warm gloves, a ski cap, scarf and maybe some boots and you'll be fine. Thermals?? Only if you're going to be working outside.
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
1 pair *waterproof* boots. "Hiking boots" are fine for snow. Get something with big rubber soles if you're prone to puddles.
Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather: Hiking Boots at L.L.Bean
IMO, those boots are way overkill for urban city living/walking around. If you're like most city dwelling college students, you'll be living where all the sidewalks, streets and storefronts are plowed and shoveled. All you need is something to keep your feet dry in the slush and puddles, like this or this. It was college students in the NE that make these gumshoes popular years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Spot on!
The key is how much time you will spend outside. Also most interior spaces tend to be over heated because they make it comfotable for folks not wearing a coat. Same goes for public transit, usually over heated.
Agreed. In the height of winter -- Jan and Feb -- it's a common sight to see college age-kids drive to a local gym wearing their pickup basketball clothes, shorts and tee-shirts. I'm sure they have the heat on in their cars, and I'm sure their parents would give them hell if the parents were around to see it.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
I hope they don't get a flat tire in the dead of winter wearing that crap.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I hope they don't get a flat tire in the dead of winter wearing that crap.
Since the OP "will not have a car and will be walking everywhere" I would presume the chance of a flat tire is pretty low.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I never owned thermal underwear in my life.

For me it's about layering clothes.

Waterproof footwear is a very important thing to have in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia