Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times

Advertisements

I would also vote Collingswood for schools and proximity to S. Philly. It is actually closer than many Philly burbs with good schools with tons to offer. Your commute to Philly would be 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 AM

148 posts, read 411,872 times
Overbrook Farms and Greenhill Farms are quite nice. They are racially integrated (White and Black, mostly) with a lot of very nice houses.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 AM

219 posts, read 674,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
You might look at overbrook farms. I believe the folks that are responsible for the construction in Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy also built the homes in Overbrook Farms. So, you have some really neat looking homes on tree lined streets. There may be twins/row homes in your range. Not sure about the schools though. This area borders the main line and is located right around St. Joe's University.

The homes in Drexel Hill have a similar feel (especially in the Aronimink area). They are really beautiful, and that neighborhood is so well maintained. I looked there and thought, aside from the terrible public High School, it would be an ideal place to raise a kid. There were kids running around, riding bikes and playing outside together all throughout the neighborhood blocks (something sadly I don't see too much of anymore).

A few towns in the SJ suburbs also offer that small town feel with close access to city, good school and potentially housing in your price range, with tree lined streets and houses that aren't cookie-cutter. The kicker is that that landscape is generally pretty flat in NJ and not nearly as pretty as an area like Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy. But, that said, you might look at Collingswood (which I think could be a good option), Audubon, parts of Haddon Township, perhaps Haddon Heights. You can get into S. Philly in less than 30 minutes and the town (esp. Collingswood) would offer much of what you say you want. To get some of the big box amenities, you'll have to drive 5 minutes into Cherry Hill.
I'll agree with most of your comments, but I beg to differ on Upper Darby High School- it is by no means horrible. I'm curious, where did you get that impression from? It is about average for the state- sure, not as good as the West Chester schools, but also vastly superior to West Philadelphia High School or Sayre. I will agree the high school has some bad eggs, many of them covertly commuting from West Philly, but it also attracts many Drexel Hill parents who are happy to send their kids there, many demanding immigrant Asian parents from Korea and South Asia, and many upwardly-mobile black families for whom the schools are a path to middle-class status. I was an ESL teacher at UDHS last year, and I'd have no problems sending my kids there.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
I'll agree with most of your comments, but I beg to differ on Upper Darby High School- it is by no means horrible. I'm curious, where did you get that impression from? It is about average for the state- sure, not as good as the West Chester schools, but also vastly superior to West Philadelphia High School or Sayre. I will agree the high school has some bad eggs, many of them covertly commuting from West Philly, but it also attracts many Drexel Hill parents who are happy to send their kids there, many demanding immigrant Asian parents from Korea and South Asia, and many upwardly-mobile black families for whom the schools are a path to middle-class status. I was an ESL teacher at UDHS last year, and I'd have no problems sending my kids there.

I don't think Upper Darby is horrible either, but I think the school district will continue to slide downhill, because it doesn't appeal to many middle/upper class families.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Pennsylvania State Districts - PA School District Rankings

Compared to PA schools, the ranking of the school district puts them in the bottom quartile (419/573). I suppose how you view this depends on perspective. Certainly not the worst and yes better the Phila public schools. But, many folks, if given a choice, I suspect would want better for their children.

There was a similar state ranking conducted earlier this year (I don't recall if this is the result - but I recall UD being similarly placed). Their ranking puts them ahead of a few other Delco districts such as: Southeast Delco, Chester, and William Penn. But, relative to many of the other options in Delaware County, or surrounding suburbs in Montco - Upper Darby district is not the best option.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 PM

219 posts, read 674,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't think Upper Darby is horrible either, but I think the school district will continue to slide downhill, because it doesn't appeal to many middle/upper class families.
But affluent Drexel Hill is still zoned to Upper Darby High Schools, as is upper-middle-class Highland Park. The rest of Upper Darby ranges from working-class to lower-middle-class, but is by no means poor.

The average sale price is about $250,000 in Drexel Hill, and abour $125,000 in the rest of Upper Darby. I would by no means consider that poor.

Also consider that there are still elementary schools to consider- and the ones in Drexel Hill are some of the best in the state. Hillcrest Elementary, for example, is some 5 blocks away from the high school, and it is a nationally-ranked Blue Ribbon school. Many parents in Drexel Hill will send their kids to 8 years of local public schooling, and then maybe 4 years at Bonner or Prendie.

The architectural quality of homes in Upper Darby are also quite impressive, unlike many older decaying suburbs. They are actually quite similar to homes you'd find in wealthier towns like Abington. Here is an example, right by 69th street (so right near the core of UD's 'hood'):

upper darby, pa - Google Maps

Last edited by PennKid; 09-30-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
But affluent Drexel Hill is still zoned to Upper Darby High Schools, as is upper-middle-class Highland Park. The rest of Upper Darby ranges from working-class to lower-middle-class, but is by no means poor.

The average sale price is about $250,000 in Drexel Hill, and abour $125,000 in the rest of Upper Darby. I would by no means consider that poor.

Also consider that there are still elementary schools to consider- and the ones in Drexel Hill are some of the best in the state. Hillcrest Elementary, for example, is some 5 blocks away from the high school, and it is a nationally-ranked Blue Ribbon school. Many parents in Drexel Hill will send their kids to 8 years of local public schooling, and then maybe 4 years at Bonner or Prendie.

The architectural quality of homes in Upper Darby are also quite impressive, unlike many older decaying suburbs. They are actually quite similar to homes you'd find in wealthier towns like Abington. Here is an example, right by 69th street (so right near the core of UD's 'hood'):

upper darby, pa - Google Maps

Drexel Hill got the short stick when it comes to the school district. The general area is slowly going downhill, its just the shift in population, hopefully Drexel Hill will remain a nice area, because there are a lot of beautiful homes there.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 PM

148 posts, read 411,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
You might look at overbrook farms. I believe the folks that are responsible for the construction in Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy also built the homes in Overbrook Farms. So, you have some really neat looking homes on tree lined streets. There may be twins/row homes in your range. Not sure about the schools though. This area borders the main line and is located right around St. Joe's University.

The homes in Drexel Hill have a similar feel (especially in the Aronimink area). They are really beautiful, and that neighborhood is so well maintained. I looked there and thought, aside from the terrible public High School, it would be an ideal place to raise a kid. There were kids running around, riding bikes and playing outside together all throughout the neighborhood blocks (something sadly I don't see too much of anymore).

A few towns in the SJ suburbs also offer that small town feel with close access to city, good school and potentially housing in your price range, with tree lined streets and houses that aren't cookie-cutter. The kicker is that that landscape is generally pretty flat in NJ and not nearly as pretty as an area like Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy. But, that said, you might look at Collingswood (which I think could be a good option), Audubon, parts of Haddon Township, perhaps Haddon Heights. You can get into S. Philly in less than 30 minutes and the town (esp. Collingswood) would offer much of what you say you want. To get some of the big box amenities, you'll have to drive 5 minutes into Cherry Hill.
I agree with you about Overbrook Farms. I live near to Overbrook Farms. The neighborhood is very nice and it is integrated. The public schools are not great though. You might try to see if you enroll get your child into Overbrook Educational Center at 68th & Lansdowne Ave. It's a neighborhood school, but I think there's a lottery process. Otherwise, there are a lot of nearby private and parochial schools. The closest school is Our Lady of Lourdes at 63rd & Lancaster. There are also the following schools nearby: Friends Central School, Presentation BVM (Wynnewood), Waldron Mercy Academy, and Rosemont School of the Holy Child. Another neighborhood to consider is Greenhill Farms, which is just to the west of Overbrook Farms. Greenhill Farms is very nice as well. Wynnefield, above Lebanon Ave, is also pretty nice.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 PM

469 posts, read 925,337 times
Your problem is your price range.You might get lucky in a nice pocket of West Germantown. There are some nice spots right near Wissahickon ave.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
We are an interracial couple in our upper 20's with a toddler. We would really love to find something with these qualties: affordable (around $150k-175k), racially diverse with good schools, and something with the charm of Chestnut Hill. I love the Chestnut Hill area but know I can't afford it. Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks
If there was anywhere that had the charm of Chestnut Hill, then it would also have the price of Chestnut Hill. There are no "undiscovered" pockets of Philadelphia, especially on par with Chestnut Hill. You're essentially asking for the world with your request and price range. Have your really been through Chestnut Hill? I mean, have you really familiarized yourself with the area extensively? Chestnut Hill was the bastion, and for many still is one of the bastions, of old wealth in Philadelphia. The real estate and amenities there (Chestnut Hill Academy, the Cricket Club) have few real competitors within the city limits. The charm, in a very real way, is a product of the wealth there. You may as well ask "is there anywhere that has a wealthy charm in which I can buy a cheap house"? The question contradicts itself.

Let's narrow it down. Something with the equivalent real estate but also "diverse" and cheaper? Try the old mansions around East Oak Lane, just south of 66th. Those are some large old properties, built by old wealth, in an area that is now fully diversified. I'm sure that you could get something in your price range. Is it charming? I guess it depends on your definition. I would guess not. But it's an area that was very much previosuly like Chestnut Hill before it became diversified. Of course my suggestion is a bit sarcastic, but im illustrating a point about what you want.

I'm thinking that you want an area that isn't quite that diversified. You want just enough to where you feel comfortable but not so much that well, you finish the sentence... If you know of a fully "diversified" area on par with the charm of chestnut hill then let me know, because I'd like to hear about it... My recommendation is just to move to Chestnut Hill, as renters of course (unless your price range increases) and enjoy what the people there have built. If it loses its charm eventually, then move somewhere else. You won't find anything close to Chestnut Hill's brand of charm on that budget. You could possibly live in nearby Germantown, though. That area, or Mt Airy, is the closest you will get to what you want. However, if Chestnut Hill Charm is the real goal, I'll submit that there isn't a real substitute. This is one of the most densely populated areas of the entire country. You pay for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia