U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 29,975 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating to PA for my husband's job and are looking for a nice suburb to settle in with our new 8 month old baby. We are looking for something under 475,000 and over 2000 square feet. We can live anywhere in PA (and neighboring states) as my husband will be working a territory, but as we are both city folk, we are thinking about Philly. We visited Bucks County and although it was beautiful, it was not for us - much too rural and not enough shopping choices. We both like a faster paced energy. We also visited Downingtown and thought it had a good variety of amenities, but just a little far out and too much of a slower paced feel. We would like to be close to a lot of shopping, libraries, museums, cultural events, etc. We are in our mid 30’s and also are hoping to be near others similar in age, or those with young babies/children. Really the only must is that we are close to major Interstates so that my husband can easily get around the state and are not too much on the outskirts of his territory, which would stem outwards from Harrisburg area. Is there such a place in Philly?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,327,010 times
you should scan the many other posts about living in the city. With a child, I would not recommend it. The safety and lack of quality schooling comes into play. Look into Cherry hill or Haddonfield NJ(wonderful shopping and close to the city for all the things you guys want).

Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks frankgn87. Yes I have heard about Cherry Hill, just not too sure about paying the toll for the bridge every day. We do not want to live IN Philly, but were hoping to be close by, without being too rural. I'm from Toronto which is a pretty safe, fast paced place, so I keep searching for that here. Maybe there isn't such a thing in PA?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM

3,815 posts, read 5,666,552 times
Try some of the areas in eastern Montgomery County like Glenside, Flourtown, Upper Dublin, Ambler, Conshohocken or Lafayette Hill. Good school districts, close to Philly, and easy access to the turnpike. You can also try the main line but there will be fewer options in your price/size range.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,196,815 times
Off the top of my head, SOME parts of the Main line MAY get you what you want. If will be tough price wise, but I think it can be done. That's to the west of Philly, along Rte 30. It starts close in -- with the Bala Cynwyd Merion, Narberth area and goes west, through Wynwood, Ardmore Haverford, ...and on out through Wayne, St David's....to Paoli, Devon, etc.

Also in DelCo there's Springfield, Manoa, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Broomall, and Newtown Square.

To the north, the first towns thought of were Jenkintown, Abington, Willow Grove, Glenside, Huntington Valley, Bryn Athyn, Ambler.

If Jersey is an option there's Haddonfield, Woodbury Heights, and Moorestown (which has been touted as one of the best towns in the country.)

If you husband ever has to fly to business, Delco is closer to the airport. BUT DO NOT PICK the parts of Delco that are close to the airport (NOT Sharon Hill, Delcroft, for example) Parts of Glenolden, Aldan, Secane, even parts of Upper Darby, Drexel Hill, and Yeadon (could be OK, though).

Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 8,522,376 times
Most of the culture in this area is in Center City but there are a few towns that have a hint of culture.

Media Pa has a couple of small performing arts theaters,Great schools, a Main Street Type feel to it with authentic retaurants and bars. Sounds like it might be a decent fit for you.

8 Miles west of the city and centrally located . There is a train line that goes right into Center City(25 minute ride), minutes from I-95 and it sits right off of rt 476 the main N-S artery of the Philly suburbs.

Very nice town and area. Its home to Ridley Creek State Park which is a 2,500 acre recreational area- hiking biking jogging fishing .

Good luck.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-11-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. We did drive through some parts of Drexel Hill and loved the style of homes we saw, plus the shopping on the Baltimore(?) Pike. We were almost set on this area until we found out they also have a tax problem and poor school system. I also did love Media on our first drive through, but felt the area was a little older (in age of residents I mean), but I could be wrong. I'll look into all the other areas suggested, thanks so much.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:25 PM

234 posts, read 416,557 times
I would say to try Lafayette Hill or Conshohocken area in Montgomery County. The schools are good, you are fairly close to the city, lots of young families, King of Prussia Mall nearby. However, to drive to the city or airport, the main highway here is 76 which is ALWAYS a mess with traffic. But we are also very close to the turnpike which would take him quickly towards the Harrisburg area. I live in LH and on my block alone, there are 3 families with new babies. We are also in our mid 30s with a 4 month old Good luck with your relocation!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 PM

3,955 posts, read 8,522,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoPA333 View Post
I also did love Media on our first drive through, but felt the area was a little older (in age of residents I mean), but I could be wrong. I'll look into all the other areas suggested, thanks so much.
You wont find many young families in the older towns like Media.Unfortunately in the Philly suburbs most young families gravitate to the numerous secluded subdivisions that surround the more established towns. The trend is happening further and further from the city sprawling all the way out to near Downingtown/Exton now.

To find the younger families in the Media area you would have to take a windy back road out of town which would eventually lead you to a dozen subdivisions hidden in the woods. The one exception is the older Main Line towns like Narberth,Ardmore,Merion,Wayne but housing tends to be fairly pricey

Back in the day when someone asked you where you live you would answer Media, Narberth, Springfield. Now its The Preserve at Garnet Valley or Mews at Newtown,Springs at Blue Bell,Crossing at Thornbury etc etc.

Shopping seems high on your list. Did you visit the RT 202+ Rt 1 area Concordville,Chadds Ford, Concord De area ? Lots of shopping, newer developments, great schools, younger families and this is a big pharma area that has taken a bit of hit so you can probably get a very good housing deal.I would add West Chester as its closeby.

Maybe even moreso for shopping King of Prussia/Plymouth Meeting / Rt 202 +RT 422 corridors which would include ,Malvern,King of Prussia, Valley Forge,West Norriton,Blue Bell,Skippack,Oaks,Lafayette Hill.

Good luck.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-11-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,536,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Off the top of my head, SOME parts of the Main line MAY get you what you want. If will be tough price wise, but I think it can be done. That's to the west of Philly, along Rte 30. It starts close in -- with the Bala Cynwyd Merion, Narberth area and goes west, through Wynwood, Ardmore Haverford, ...and on out through Wayne, St David's....to Paoli, Devon, etc.

Also in DelCo there's Springfield, Manoa, Swarthmore, Wallingford, Broomall, and Newtown Square.

If you husband ever has to fly to business, Delco is closer to the airport. BUT DO NOT PICK the parts of Delco that are close to the airport (NOT Sharon Hill, Delcroft, for example) Parts of Glenolden, Aldan, Secane, even parts of Upper Darby, Drexel Hill, and Yeadon (could be OK, though).
ha I think you meant Media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoPA333 View Post
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. We did drive through some parts of Drexel Hill and loved the style of homes we saw, plus the shopping on the Baltimore(?) Pike. We were almost set on this area until we found out they also have a tax problem and poor school system. I also did love Media on our first drive through, but felt the area was a little older (in age of residents I mean), but I could be wrong. I'll look into all the other areas suggested, thanks so much.
Sort of true, the immediate homes surrounding downtown Media for the most are older residents, or single couples, of course there are families near Media, most however live a little further away from downtown. But when you go there on a weekend night or even weekday night, there are younger couples, older people, teens, families, its a good mix. And heres the thing, Media covers a huge area. Middletown, Upper Providence, and Media are all under the same 19063 zip. And all those towns plus Edgemont are in the Rose Tree Media School district. So really there is not shortage of families/young people, they just for the most live a little further away from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You wont find many young families in the older towns like Media.Unfortunately in the Philly suburbs most young families gravitate to the numerous secluded subdivisions that surround the more established towns. The trend is happening further and further from the city sprawling all the way out to near Downingtown/Exton now.

To find the younger families in the Media area you would have to take a windy back road out of town which would eventually lead you to a dozen subdivisions hidden in the woods. The one exception is the older Main Line towns like Narberth,Ardmore,Merion,Wayne but housing tends to be fairly pricey

Back in the day when someone asked you where you live you would answer Media, Narberth, Springfield. Now its The Preserve at Garnet Valley or Mews at Newtown,Springs at Blue Bell,Crossing at Thornbury etc etc.

Shopping seems high on your list. Did you visit the RT 202+ Rt 1 area Concordville,Chadds Ford, Concord De area ? Lots of shopping, newer developments, great schools, younger families and this is a big pharma area that has taken a bit of hit so you can probably get a very good housing deal.I would add West Chester as its closeby.

Maybe even moreso for shopping King of Prussia/Plymouth Meeting / Rt 202 +RT 422 corridors which would include ,Malvern,King of Prussia, Valley Forge,West Norriton,Blue Bell,Skippack,Oaks,Lafayette Hill.

Good luck.

Very true, which i find unfortunate, i have a thing for older homes. There actually are plenty of neighborhoods in upper providence/outside of Media, but they are more on the exclusive side when you compare them to the cookie cutter crap in Garnet Valley. However, Media seems to becoming more trendy, and it has attracted a lot of younger people to the area.

I would suggest Media over Garnet Valley any day. Reasoning because, the area is much more beautiful, trendier setting, closer to Philadelphia, closer to parks and recreation, better schools, easy access to all highways, and even the subdivision neighborhoods in the media area are unique. Its not 3 different models of homes, repeated 75 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia