Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
The region as a whole is very well-served by train service. The regional rail is annoying, though. It's such a ridiculous production with the conductors checking everything and constantly walking up and down the aisles, calling the stops, opening and closing the doors, etc. Also, it's absolutely painful as the trains inch into 30th Street from the west and north. I wish they'd reconfigure it into a rapid transit paradigm instead of an 1890's railroad paradigm. Honestly, I really just want to get where I'm going, not deal with a stage production.
You're asking a regional rail system to operate as a subway - ain't gonna happen. Using the regional rail as a crutch because Philly has no subway's, is the real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM

147 posts, read 352,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You're asking a regional rail system to operate as a subway - ain't gonna happen. Using the regional rail as a crutch because Philly has no subway's, is the real problem.
Commuter Rail is used as Rapid Transit in Europe and Asia, what makes Philadelphia any different? Why builld reduntant lines to cannibalize the current ridership, which may or may not go up?

Manayunk, Mt. Airy, Germantown, Chestnut Hill would be better served with more frequent and later off peak service on those lines. If that happend, the bus lines could be re-routed to profide feeder services to those stations increasing ridership.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,923,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A subway serves the CITY not the suburbs so it wouldn't make sense to have a subway in Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy. Suburban Trains already go to those areas. And I rather catch the suburban train anyway because it's far too many UNDESIRABLES on the subway.
Staten Island is New York City's most suburban county and they seem to be doing just fine with a subway system.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM

147 posts, read 352,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Staten Island is New York City's most suburban county and they seem to be doing just fine with a subway system.
Actually, Subway means the tunnels that the tracks are laid and the trains run through. the Staten Island Railway is a Rapid Transit system.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,923,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Yes, as a Far Northeast resident (Bustleton) YES! That's the one thing I wasn't too happy about when I moved here. 2 subway lines? Really?
Technecally it's 3 subway lines if you include the Patco.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,755,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
Commuter Rail is used as Rapid Transit in Europe and Asia, what makes Philadelphia any different? Why builld reduntant lines to cannibalize the current ridership, which may or may not go up?

Manayunk, Mt. Airy, Germantown, Chestnut Hill would be better served with more frequent and later off peak service on those lines. If that happend, the bus lines could be re-routed to profide feeder services to those stations increasing ridership.
Philly actually modeled its system after Paris , Berlin , and Sydney Regional Rail system or S-BAHN. The S-BAHN systems need to be expanded and connect to other cities , they generally service one or 2 Job hubs in each city and then leave that city. Most of Philly would better be served with a Subway under the busy boulevards or Dense corridors , and trolleys along bus corridors and to connect isolated or overloaded areas which is done in Paris , Berlin , and Sydney... Paris just started there LRT system after overloading there regional Rail network , which is what your proposing , Sydney's system is 110% over capacity , they use there system as a subway through the core and commuter outside the CBD , its backfired.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,755,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
Actually, Subway means the tunnels that the tracks are laid and the trains run through. the Staten Island Railway is a Rapid Transit system.
Its a Railroad like the PATH & PATCO it uses subway cars for now , but might be converted to LRT and adsorbed into NJT's LRT network.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Philly actually modeled its system after Paris
You almost made me spit my soda all over my monitor!

The theory in Paris is that wherever you are in the city you are no more than 100 meters from a subway stop. Philly is no where close to that.
Google or Wikipedia the Paris Metro, and count how many lines they have. And that does not include their regional rail (SNCF, RAR).

We can make all the excuses we want to, and try to substitute regional rail for metro subway service. But that is all it will be - an excuse.

Chicago managed to build a completely new subway line (Orange line) in the 1990s. Downtown to Midway airport, combination of existing railroad right of way (mostly), and new right of way construction. "King" Daley managed to get it done, without people complaining that it would bring a bunch of "undesirables" to the airport... What is Philly's problem?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,794,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You almost made me spit my soda all over my monitor!

The theory in Paris is that wherever you are in the city you are no more than 100 meters from a subway stop. Philly is no where close to that.
Google or Wikipedia the Paris Metro, and count how many lines they have. And that does not include their regional rail (SNCF, RAR).

We can make all the excuses we want to, and try to substitute regional rail for metro subway service. But that is all it will be - an excuse.

Chicago managed to build a completely new subway line (Orange line) in the 1990s. Downtown to Midway airport, combination of existing railroad right of way (mostly), and new right of way construction. "King" Daley managed to get it done, without people complaining that it would bring a bunch of "undesirables" to the airport... What is Philly's problem?

no one wants to see a bunch of undesirables period.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,357,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Technecally it's 3 subway lines if you include the Patco.
Haha yes 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia