Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 AM

219 posts, read 674,397 times

Advertisements

Here is what I see as the list of Jewish-populated areas in Philadelphia, almost all of which have been touched upon by others:

Queens Village was once a solidly Jewish neighborhood, and while that character dissipated in the mid-20th century, the influx of affluent families in the later 20th century has included many Jewish families. In a notable reversal of how places of worship usually evolve, the synagogue off of 4th and Lombard was converted from a church (while many churches, especially in poorer black and hispanic areas, were once synagogues). There are, however, still Jewish families that have lived in the area for many, many decades.

There are indeed (highly secularized) Jewish families scattered throughout the Penn Alexander bubble in West Philly.

While the far Northeast has seen quite the influx of former Soviet Jews in the last 20 years, it is worth pointing out that the reason they moved to this rather nondescript semi-suburban area is that it is the outer end of what was once a long string of conservative Jewish neighborhoods, from Oxford Circle on outwards. While the southernmost neighborhoods around Oxford Circle have withered away, there remains a solid Jewish presence in places like Burholme and especially Rhawnhurst, where much of the community is now composed of Orthodox Jews.

Mt. Airy and West Germantown is the undisputed center of super-progressive Judaism in the Delaware Valley. Slightly less progressive, less involved, and more involved are Jewish communities in Chestnut Hill and East Falls.

There are some relatively secular, lower-middle-class Jews to be found in Roxborough.

There is a burgeoning Orthodox community that straddles City Line Avenue in Wynnefield/Overbrook Farms, where Jewish families can stay close to the core of the Jewish community in Lower Merion, while being able to buy a much cheaper house (they don't send their kids to Public School, and see no need to pay a higher price to live across City Line Ave.) Because of the rapid demographic growth of Orthodox congregations and their tendency to flock to one area, this is a fast-growing community, much like the one in Rhawnhurst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM

219 posts, read 674,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
Mt. Airy and West Germantown is the undisputed center of super-progressive Judaism in the Delaware Valley. Slightly less progressive, less involved, and more involved are Jewish communities in Chestnut Hill and East Falls.
I meant to say slightly less progressive, less involved, and MORE AFFLUENT, rather than repeating involved..

Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
I think it's also worth mentioning that Jews are moving to the outer suburbs of Chester/Bucks Counties in droves (respectably moving West/North from the Eastern Main Line/Old York Road cores). Some communities at the fringes of these cores seem to be dissolving as a result. Havertown, for instance, used to have a very strong Jewish community, particularly in/around Earlington Road. There's still a community, but there are comparatively few young Jewish families in comparison to surrounding Radnor/Lower Merion. Their synagogue recently merged with one in Lower Merion. Here's an interesting article:

A Sign of the Times | The Jewish Exponent (http://www.jewishexponent.com/article/22535/A_Sign_of_the_Times/ - broken link)

Quote:
the Jewish population in Havertown -- which sits in Delaware County, but is close to the border with Montgomery County -- has declined substantially over the past three decades

Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 36,180 times
You forgot Blue Bell,Upper Dublin area

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Blue bell?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
I own (not rent) an apartment in an upscale Center City, Rittenhouse area high rise that is I am guessing 80% Jewish and I know we are not unique if that says anything.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Northeast Philly is has a large Russian Jew population from the former USSR.
Some nasty people from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This thread is inspired about one in the Pittsburgh forum. The Pittsburgh thread stirred up quite a bit of debate, so I thought maybe we can have a go at it here in Philadelphia.

The question is: Is there such a thing as a Jewish neighborhood in Philadelphia? I don't mean an exclusively or predominately Jewish enclave, just a neighborhood or area where there is a distinct presence of a Jewish community with such traditional institutions as synagogues, kosher delis, Judaica shops, good Chinese restaurants, etc.

It seems to me they are mostly outside Philadelphia County Line, in places like: Elkins Park, Wynnewood, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Swarthmore, Warminster, etc.

How about Philadelphia? Once upon a time there were Jewish neighborhoods in South Philly, Oxford Circle, West Philly ... is it just a distant memory?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Blue bell?
Blue Bell has a Jewish population, but I would hardly call it characteristically Jewish.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,495 times
Merion/ Wynnewood

And some areas in the NE.

Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy have a decided presence, and the synagogue near Emlen is very active.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
There is a burgeoning Orthodox community that straddles City Line Avenue in Wynnefield/Overbrook Farms, where Jewish families can stay close to the core of the Jewish community in Lower Merion, while being able to buy a much cheaper house (they don't send their kids to Public School, and see no need to pay a higher price to live across City Line Ave.) Because of the rapid demographic growth of Orthodox congregations and their tendency to flock to one area, this is a fast-growing community, much like the one in Rhawnhurst.
I missed this before, but I thought it would be worth addressing. I know most of the Jews in Overbrook Park (and their synagogues) have crossed City Avenue into Penn Wynne in the past 10-15 years. Have some of them moved into Overbrook Farms as well, or does this community you speak of hail from a different core (or no particular core at all)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia