U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM

469 posts, read 395,410 times
Default Mayor`s Race And The Democratic Machine

I know Philly is a Democratic city. What would it take for you to vote for a Republican Mayor?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,780,320 times
First, a corrupt Democratic mayor running for re-election (not the case now). And someone who is very socially liberal and who would not feel obliged to back the Republican party's nominee(s) for the presidency or congressional elections. But would support the person he/she thinks would be best.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,635,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig;21402783[B
]First, a corrupt Democratic mayor running for re-election (not the case now).[/b] And someone who is very socially liberal and who would not feel obliged to back the Republican party's nominee(s) for the presidency or congressional elections. But would support the person he/she thinks would be best.
Keep in mind in philly when a mayor runs for reelection they still have to win the primary. A corrupt mayor running for reelection doesn't mean you'd have to vote republican. You could simply vote for another democrat.

If the corrupt mayor somehow got through the primary or if the implications of his corruptions didn't come out until afterwards there would still likely be an independent candidate that would emerge to challenge him.

I would vote for a republican mayor if I thought it was in the best interest of the city, so in other words... never.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 AM

417 posts, read 790,965 times
Voting has become a joke ..
They get all excited when 22% of eligible voters come out ..
That means of those who have registered

Sadly .. only about 20% of american citizens are registered

Bad news first .. many think party affiliation is like a birth defect .. impossible to change.
Lots of folks register and just hit the "party" button.

Good news .. new machines will tell how many people went into the booth versus how many votes are cast ..
You do not need to vote every seat .. if you don't see anyone who you believe represents your views .. you can abstain from individual votes .. if there is no one .. you can write in "none of the above" where appropriate and hit the green vote button
This will send the message that you don't see any one worth voting ..
So .. even if there is no one you like .. register and get in the booth ..
If you are in PA .. registration for the November election is closed ..you can be ready for the next election.
To vote in a PA primary you MUST have registered with a party .. and can only cast votes for that party.
In the general election .. vote (or not) for any candidate.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 3,103,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
Sadly .. only about 20% of american citizens are registered
So many people post non-sense and don't expect it to be challenged. Last I saw, at least 2/3 of eligible voters are registered to vote. While this is pathetic, it is considerably above the figure quoted. I'll go with my figure until you can provide data from a reputable source.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,111,630 times
You can't seperate the local Republican Party from the National Republican Party. Just watch the next Republican Debate and tell me why any sane person would vote Republican. They want to gut everything from the Schools to the Post Offices. You can't support Republicans in Philadelphia without supporting them in Arizona or Alabama

Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM

@ JM02
I would be happy to see your link that supports it
I will also look

I sure hope my figures are wrong
I just believe there is a huge amount of apathy .. and
With a lack of civics classes we have many with out a clue as to how our government is structured
We are NOT a democracy .. we are are a Republic

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM

^^^ In 2008, over 150M folks were registered - just over 73%: Study: Voter interest high, registrations up - USATODAY.com

Do you have a more reputable source to validate your 20% figure?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Glad to see I am wrong ..but ... still too low ..

National Voter Turnout in Federal Elections: 1960
United States Elections Project

Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM

^^^ Imagine if you'd done your fact-checking prior to posting, instead of after.

Voter turn-out in the US is pathetic. Looks like presidential voting reached it nadir in 1996 and has made a steady increase since. That said, it's still pathetic.

As for the actual thread, I wold vote for a Republican for mayor if, as another poster said, I thought it was in the best interest of the city. To date, I haven't found a Republican running for office anywhere I've lived who met that test. Given what I've picked up on local politics, the only scenario I could envision this for Philly would be if a well-liked liberal decided to switch parties to run against a weakened machine-candiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia