U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM

18 posts, read 19,823 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. Your friendly environmental wacko is back I would like to know, since I have only ever lived in places with natural gas furnaces, how does heating oil work? That is to say, is there a power company that provides it like electricity, or does a homeowner contract individually? Also, if you have gas cooking and therefore a gas line to the home, how hard would it be to convert to a gas furnace? Also, for those who have lived with both, which would you recommend, especially as to heating costs... Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 AM

35,610 posts, read 64,896,360 times
If you already have gas in the house, go for it! I'd do it in a heartbeat if gas was available on my street.

You buy heating oil from private suppliers. Some will give you discount payment plans and automatic fill schedules; others are strictly COD and only come when you want a delivery. Depends on what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks Ohiogirl! That's kinda what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,074,375 times
I personally like the type of warmth oil provides for blown air heat - BUT given the volatility in the oil markets the past 5 years, gas is the way to go. Preferably gas furnace and some kind of radiator - free standing or baseboard. Gas blown air heat tends to dry you out and just never feels quite as warm as oil.

A group like PA PIRG offers group discounts for oil to their members -well worth it if you stick with oil.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,264,986 times
I own a 120 year old Victorian house in University City.

I have gas for my oven and stove, my clothes dryer, and also my hot water heater. I think next year I'm going to convert to gas for home heating as well ... my oil bills have been CRAZY. My only problem with gas is that I will be stuck with a single monopoly: PGW, and I can't switch providers.

The type of heat I have in this old place is oil. There is a 235 gallon tank in the basement. It is forced hot air - no radiators - and the warm air comes through these ornate grilles near the baseboards. There is a furnace in the basement. I will be honest and tell you that last year it cost me $500 a month to heat my house from Nov. 1st through Apr. 1st. I do have a digital programmable thermostat and my attic is insulated, but there are drafty windows and doors in this old place. It's a 3 store 6 bedroom house with high ceilings.

I get a discounted rate as a member of the Energy Co-op; the supplier is a company called Action Oil which is a subsidiary of Haab. They do provide good service, I'll admit to that.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Wow, Clark, thanks for the info. I have a 50's ranch here with a finished basement; I think Denver gets colder than Philly (?) and the highest natural gas bill from last year was probably $150 or so. My house is pretty well insulated though and of course, we get a lot of sunshine here so there is some residual heat after the sun goes down. I think if I move to Philly I am going to try to find a place that already has a gas furnace to save myself the hassle.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM

711 posts, read 1,394,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowergirl View Post
Wow, Clark, thanks for the info. I have a 50's ranch here with a finished basement; I think Denver gets colder than Philly (?) and the highest natural gas bill from last year was probably $150 or so. My house is pretty well insulated though and of course, we get a lot of sunshine here so there is some residual heat after the sun goes down. I think if I move to Philly I am going to try to find a place that already has a gas furnace to save myself the hassle.

Your gas bill will average 150 a month if you live in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia