Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 PM

127 posts, read 293,031 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are in our late 20's and will be moving to the general area sometime in the near future (dependent upon employment opportunities). One of these would include working at Penn, so we're thinking about living in UC. Looking to rent in the 14-1500 range and 2+BR would be ideal.

We're not the partying type and would like to avoid the loud college crowd in living situations. I've read that west and NW of Penn housing can get dicey, but how about, say, 34th and Spring Garden? If not, are there any safe parts of University City that could work for us? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,998,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzbone227 View Post
My girlfriend and I are in our late 20's and will be moving to the general area sometime in the near future (dependent upon employment opportunities). One of these would include working at Penn, so we're thinking about living in UC. Looking to rent in the 14-1500 range and 2+BR would be ideal.

We're not the partying type and would like to avoid the loud college crowd in living situations. I've read that west and NW of Penn housing can get dicey, but how about, say, 34th and Spring Garden? If not, are there any safe parts of University City that could work for us? Thanks.
If you're looking to avoid the college crowd 34th and spring garden wouldn't likely be the place for you. That's pretty much right in the center of where tons of Drexel students live.

Honestly the students of Drexel and Upenn are for the most part the trailblazer into the bad neighborhoods, so any neighborhood that has become safe, likely already has a sizable student population. Just because they're students, doesn't mean they're loud however. I doubt there's a universal rule of thumb as to where there are loud students, these kids don't often stay in one house for more than a year so it's likely constantly changing. for the most part though it wouldn't really be something i'd worry about. and if it is a problem, you can always call the Upenn's or Drexel Public Safety which break up parties pretty quickly after being notified.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,740,558 times
The nice and safe parts of U city are in great demand and very expensive. You will do much better in Center City

Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 AM

423 posts, read 1,243,047 times
Wouldn't U City still be cheaper than Center City, on average? It sure was that way several years ago.

The Spruce Hill area to the south and west of Penn Campus is generally quiet. I'd say you're almost guaranteed a quiet block as long as you don't see any houses with Greek letters on the front.

West of 48th Street started getting a little dodgy back in the early part of the last decade, but things were improving. Could be that you can go as far as 50th or 52nd now and still feel like you're in a generally safe area.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM

434 posts, read 1,307,289 times
I agree with everything chalcedony just said.

University City is a great place to live. Certainly much improved over the last 15 or so years. Unfortunately some of the old assumptions/stereotypes of the area remain, though I still probably wouldn't wander much west of 50th St.

Don't fear the undergrad population. In my experience they stick to the streets mainly surrounding the campus (for Penn that's probably a box east of 42nd St, north of Baltimore, south of Chestnut). The fraternity houses - for better or worse - are well marked.

You can definitely live nice, quite & safe in University City.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,863,727 times
On your budget you should be able to find a beautiful apt. in University City.

University City is NOT more expensive than Center City. There are two luxury brand new buildings in University City: the Radian and also Domus that are rather expensive (I'm guessing about $2000 for a 2 bedroom) but there are other nice buildings for about half that price.

As a late middle aged man living in the Spruce Hill neighborhood of University City I will attest that this area is not "Party Central." You have nothing to worry about unless you want to live on the corner of Walnut and 40th.

Check with the local realtors like Urban & Bye or O'Donnell Realtors or you may want to stop off at the offices (don't be put off by the names) of University City Housing or Campus Apartments.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,554,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I agree with everything chalcedony just said.

University City is a great place to live. Certainly much improved over the last 15 or so years. Unfortunately some of the old assumptions/stereotypes of the area remain, though I still probably wouldn't wander much west of 50th St.

Don't fear the undergrad population. In my experience they stick to the streets mainly surrounding the campus (for Penn that's probably a box east of 42nd St, north of Baltimore, south of Chestnut). The fraternity houses - for better or worse - are well marked.

You can definitely live nice, quite & safe in University City.
You'd be surprised how many nice blocks there are west of 50th street. It's definitely not as bad in all areas as people make it out to be, but there's definitely a lot of visible decay in certain areas, and a lot of crime too. That said, University City proper is very nice and personally, I've never had an issue with students. I think mostly they live as close to campus as possible and that's probably where all the shenanigans take place. Never had a problem with them up this way, and the neighborhood is a good mix of student renters and family owners, so things are normalized somewhat.

As far as prices: UC is way cheaper than CC. You can still get really good deals on apartments in University City, especially if you split the rent with somebody. I have what's ostensibly a one bedroom, but is really a whole floor of a rowhouse so I share and the rent is very reasonable, probably half of what I'd be paying in CC or less. And this isn't on some sketchy block out on the edges of civilization either, you can find great deals in the nicest parts of the neighborhood still.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,580 times
How is the 41st and Baltimore Avenue area? I have a son who is looking in that area for graduate school housing.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,506,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky921 View Post
How is the 41st and Baltimore Avenue area? I have a son who is looking in that area for graduate school housing.
That is a perfectly fine location. In fact, he could do well to expand up to 45th at least. I have several professors who live over in this area and I have been numerous times. It is walking distance to school and there is a nice community vibe to it all. It'll only continue to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia