Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
lived in both. Nope.. Way more in the city where there is way more racial tension.. The racism in the city is mostly against the whites though.. Its even (but very little because generally everyone is working and doing well) No handouts in the burbs which makes the situation worse.
there used to be, until all the racists moved to nj

Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
please dont create assumptions about Philadelphia from your experiences living in Germantown.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,648,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
please dont create assumptions about Philadelphia from your experiences living in Germantown.
So...what neighborhood(s) do you think give someone a "valid" impression of Philadelphia then?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
So...what neighborhood(s) do you think give someone a "valid" impression of Philadelphia then?
I believe the point is that you can't get a valid impression of any city if you seldom venture outside one particular area.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I believe the point is that you can't get a valid impression of any city if you seldom venture outside one particular area.
Which is true of an awful lot of people...(perhaps especially) including those who live in center city for example - but I doubt they would get that same admonition, which I guess is the point I'd make.

In fact, I think Germantown may offer a more truthful demographic cross section of the city than most any other neighborhood.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:21 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Yes, because only the distressed neighborhoods are the REAL neighborhoods. The nice, vibrant, safer, affluent neighborhoods could not possibly be part of the real Philadelphia.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yes, because only the distressed neighborhoods are the REAL neighborhoods. The nice, vibrant, safer, affluent neighborhoods could not possibly be part of the real Philadelphia.
Please don't try to put words in my mouth. Especially since you're (albeit sarcastically) just making the same point as me with inverted examples. Also Germantown has safer affluent areas, as well as poor areas. Maybe you should spend some time there.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Yes, Rotodome, I was being sarcastic. Sorry. I've lived in Center City for nearly 20 years with a 2 year stint in South Philly. I live here because I like it - a lot. I don't often venture to farther-flung parts of the city since everything I need is within walking distance of my living room. I don't feel like my Philadelphia experience is any less valid or real than somebody who resides in one of the other areas. I've caught onto that attitude before, that if one isn't dealing with crime and blight on a daily basis, then there's a lack of validity, and I reject it. I own a home here, vote here and pay lots of taxes here. I'm valid.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yes, Rotodome, I was being sarcastic. Sorry. I've lived in Center City for nearly 20 years with a 2 year stint in South Philly. I live here because I like it - a lot. I don't often venture to farther-flung parts of the city since everything I need is within walking distance of my living room. I don't feel like my Philadelphia experience is any less valid or real than somebody who resides in one of the other areas. I've caught onto that attitude before, that if one isn't dealing with crime and blight on a daily basis, then there's a lack of validity, and I reject it. I own a home here, vote here and pay lots of taxes here. I'm valid.
No one said you weren't. Calm down. And again, don't put words in my mouth. You're not being persecuted. I lived in Center City for a long time too, for the same reasons as you. It's one of the best parts of the City. But I also lived in Germantown, which is a perfectly nice place in many areas (including the one the OP lives in) and where I did not "deal with crime and blight on a daily basis" any more than I did in CC.
The overwhelming majority of Philadelphians in fact do not live in Center City, and believe it or not some of them actually like where they live. What I questioned earlier was why someone wouldn't be able to form a valid opinion about Philly based on their experiences in Germantown (since someone had just begged the OP not to do so).
Apparently that's a controversial question.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
No one said you weren't. Calm down. And again, don't put words in my mouth. You're not being persecuted. I lived in Center City for a long time too, for the same reasons as you. It's one of the best parts of the City. But I also lived in Germantown, which is a perfectly nice place in many areas (including the one the OP lives in) and where I did not "deal with crime and blight on a daily basis" any more than I did in CC.
The overwhelming majority of Philadelphians in fact do not live in Center City, and believe it or not some of them actually like where they live. What I questioned earlier was why someone wouldn't be able to form a valid opinion about Philly based on their experiences in Germantown (since someone had just begged the OP not to do so).
Apparently that's a controversial question.
I'm laughing as I read your reponse. Here's why. When I wrote the statement that you were replying to, I was really drunk and sitting in Little Petes eating a greasy omelet. Two things stand out. First, my spelling was really good after all that beer. Second, never reply to somebody in a non-sober state. Rotodome, I was way more combative than necessary and you're right about Germantown. It really is a mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia