U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: The mountain of Airy
5,145 posts, read 4,986,937 times
Reputation: 3406

Advertisements

Trading Places for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:20 AM
 
8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Reputation: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Was that with Angie Dickenson?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,033 times
Reputation: 944
There is a movie coming out next year called "The Irishman" starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Not sure if any of it is filmed in the city but its the story about Philly Irish Mobster Frank Sheeran. Sheeran on his death bed back in 2003 confessed to the killing of Jimmy Hoffa. At that time the Feds did not take him seriously, but new evidence has surfaced and many now believe that Sheeran did in fact murder Hoffa. He claimed he shot him in the back of the head at a house in Michigan and then had the body cremated at a mob owned Funeral Parlor.

For those that follow the mob his story is interesting. Not sure where in the city he resided but do know he used to hang out at an old bar in the northeast called "The Shack". It was a well known hangout for the Mob and Union officials. Looking forward to seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM
 
Location: USA
13,295 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Reputation: 9640
Love Mob movies, love Philly movies. This should be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,133 posts, read 862,637 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
There is a movie coming out next year called "The Irishman" starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Not sure if any of it is filmed in the city but its the story about Philly Irish Mobster Frank Sheeran. Sheeran on his death bed back in 2003 confessed to the killing of Jimmy Hoffa. At that time the Feds did not take him seriously, but new evidence has surfaced and many now believe that Sheeran did in fact murder Hoffa. He claimed he shot him in the back of the head at a house in Michigan and then had the body cremated at a mob owned Funeral Parlor.

For those that follow the mob his story is interesting. Not sure where in the city he resided but do know he used to hang out at an old bar in the northeast called "The Shack". It was a well known hangout for the Mob and Union officials. Looking forward to seeing it.
Thank you! Will be looking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,033 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Love Mob movies, love Philly movies. This should be good.
Netflix has a documentary series called "Inside The American Mob". Third episode focuses on Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,559 posts, read 2,518,803 times
Reputation: 2857
Bruce Willis Was Spotted at Scarpetta and Barclay Prime Last Night

Bruce Willis was in town last night. They must be close to filming 'Glass'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM
 
8,195 posts, read 4,395,735 times
Reputation: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Bruce Willis Was Spotted at Scarpetta and Barclay Prime Last Night

Bruce Willis was in town last night. They must be close to filming 'Glass'
Well, great, if they are actually going to film it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 PM
 
133 posts, read 85,765 times
Reputation: 419
One of my favorite films featuring Philadelphia is Kitty Foyle (1940--RKO Radio Pictures). It stars Ginger Rogers (who won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance) and Dennis Morgan. Although filming probably took place on a back lot at RKO, Philadelphia is featured prominently. The plot involves a working class woman (Rogers) who enters into Philadelphia's "Upper Class" by marrying Wynnewood Stratford IV (Morgan). The ice cold reception she receives when first introduced to his family is unforgettable. One scene shows Philly "High Society" walking down Broad Street and entering (I guess) the Academy of Music--with City Hall clearly visible in the background.

Kitty Foyle was based on the best selling 1939 novel of the same name by Christopher Morley. Morley was born in Bryn Mawr and lived in a townhouse on Washington Square for a while. In addition to being a novelist, Morley was a social commentator who, in the film, had some scathing things to say (through Kitty) about Philadelphia "Society".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:55 AM
 
Location: USA
13,295 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Reputation: 9640
Ginger Rogers was GORGEOUS, and could do a lot more than just dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top