Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
YES! 34 82.93%
NO! 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 AM

469 posts, read 920,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennm59 View Post
I absolutely believe he should be fired...don't you get fired in other jobs if you consistently do not perform or meet expectations of your job?

The team has poor leadership, a lack of dedication, a lack of discipline and some really amazing players who talk a good game but do NOTHING.

I mean, Tony Romo played with broken ribs with a vest on, and Michael Vick (a convicted felon who might seem tougher than Romo) seems not to be tough enough to do that? It seems he got a big fat contract and just gave up.

It's like watching high school football bloopers out there. Embarassing. Andy Reid needs to get his guys in line, reign in the egos, get them disciplined and get them performing....they are clearly capable of it.
I agree with everything you said except for Vick. Vick style of play is not the same as Romo.Vick uses his legs and takes way more hits then Romo.You are not running anywhere fast with two broken ribs.He wouldn`t be helping the team or himself,trying to play right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 AM

584 posts, read 1,419,319 times
If nothing else, Philadelphians are fickle when it comes to their sports. You're not winning right now...then out with you. I agree that in a typical job if you don't perform up to expectations you get fired, but when you look at Reid's career what would suggest he hasn't? This year sucks! Terrible personnel (coaching) decisions were made. They haven't gotten the defensive coaching down for a few years (since JJ's passing).

But, overall, under Reid the Eagles have made it to the playoff's 9 times since 2000,won the NFC east 6 times, and made it to the Superbowl once. I understand this won't be sufficient for Philly fans...but really other than teams like the Patriots or Steelers, which teams have consistently winning seasons like that (e.g., making it to the playoffs)?

I agree the team isn't gelling and they aren't utilizing their personnel appropriately. But, who is going to coach this team that has a better win record than Reid? Folks throw out Cower...but if Cower wanted to come back would he not have already done so with another team? More likely than not, some scrub coach will come in and we'll have a pre-Reid era of never making it to the playoffs and TV blackouts.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
All these people calling for Cowher need to remember: Cowher for much of his career was criticized very similarly to Reid for always getting the team to the playoffs but no further.

He finally won the superbowl with the Steelers in his FOURTEENTH season as head coach(!). Reid hasn't had quite that long yet with the Eagles.

Would Eagles fans give Cowher 14 years?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

24,342 posts, read 22,900,292 times
Reid has to slap those primadona slob players in line. Giving them that kind of money was crazy and you need players with guts and heart. I'll criticize Reid for not being tough enough but he is a good coach, better than over half the coaches out there.
So we rebuild. We find a new quarterback. Its an extremely weak division and its not like the other teams aren't hurting for lack of talent and lack of drive the same as the Eagles. Even worse.
I'm hearing some talk about Bill Cowher becoming the new coach. Ugh. Maybe he could bring some of the legendary Steelers luck to Philadelphia but he has nothing else going for him.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 AM

24,342 posts, read 22,900,292 times
Cowher. The most overrated coach in probably the last 20 years at least. One step above Ray Rhodes. The Steelers would get to the playoffs benefitting from a weak division and a fairly easy schedule. Then they'd lose. Or they'd capitalize on other teams injuries or bad calls and get to the Superbowl that way. I'm not talking about the 1970s, they were legitimately a great team then. But Cowher relied on luck and never showed any true genius or leadership. Its said the best team doesn't always make it to the Superbowl and the better team doesn't always win. Thats true for any championship. Cowher's one win was the lamest Superbowl in recent memory, one noted for poor coaching on both sides and bad calls. I've regained respect for the Steelers post Cowher but they still benefit from a weak divison and an easy schedule. No, the Eagles don't need " Mr. Lucky".

Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 PM

958 posts, read 1,189,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
I agree with everything you said except for Vick. Vick style of play is not the same as Romo.Vick uses his legs and takes way more hits then Romo.You are not running anywhere fast with two broken ribs.He wouldn`t be helping the team or himself,trying to play right now.
Agreed. I really don't know how anybody could question Vick's toughness. He played through the entire game with broken ribs for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
If nothing else, Philadelphians are fickle when it comes to their sports. You're not winning right now...then out with you. I agree that in a typical job if you don't perform up to expectations you get fired, but when you look at Reid's career what would suggest he hasn't? This year sucks! Terrible personnel (coaching) decisions were made. They haven't gotten the defensive coaching down for a few years (since JJ's passing).

But, overall, under Reid the Eagles have made it to the playoff's 9 times since 2000,won the NFC east 6 times, and made it to the Superbowl once. I understand this won't be sufficient for Philly fans...but really other than teams like the Patriots or Steelers, which teams have consistently winning seasons like that (e.g., making it to the playoffs)?

I agree the team isn't gelling and they aren't utilizing their personnel appropriately. But, who is going to coach this team that has a better win record than Reid? Folks throw out Cower...but if Cower wanted to come back would he not have already done so with another team? More likely than not, some scrub coach will come in and we'll have a pre-Reid era of never making it to the playoffs and TV blackouts.
These lies about Reid are easily debunked.

Look up Andy Reid's record against teams that are above .500 sometime. Even with the Jim Johnson years in there when the Eagles had great defenses, it's pitiful.

His playoff record is 10-9 over his entire Eagles career.

He beats sh*tty teams and that is it. His teams are always viewed as underdogs because he's the coach. They have had great talent for at least 5 years now, and this current group may be the most talented Eagles of my lifetime so far (23 years). I don't see how you consider going 6-10 in '05 and 8-8 in '07 consistently winning. That's not even getting into the many times they have made proclamations of "reloading, not rebuilding" or "we have the best talent in the NFC", etc. only to then try to pat Andy Reid on the back for reaching .500 or salvaging a "rebuilding year" in which the Eagles made themselves out to be Super Bowl favorites. The contradictions are endless and extremely insulting to the true Philly fans of the area. How many times has his team started poorly and then been praised for "turning the season around and making the playoffs"? How many times has he had one or at most a handful of games where he shows the true potential of his team, only to go right back to shooting them in the foot and seemingly doing everything to lose games for the rest of the season and even the postseason? How many times did we hear "the play-calling duties are being handed over to Marty Morningwheg(sp?) because Reid has been awful this season" up until the past few years when people never mentioned it again and tried to praise his sh*t play-calling? How many times has his team or other "Philly" teams tried to make themselves out to be scrappy underdogs who represent the city when in reality they're lazy and have sh*tty coaching or no discipline?

He is one of the worst coaches in history. He's a great QB coach, so the Eagles should keep him on as that. He majorly sucks at everything else, things every head coach is required to be at least decent at.

Philly fans have never been fickle. We're the most die-hard in the damn country. We happen to be knowledgeable enough to know what the problems are with our teams and we won't hesitate to let people know what they are. The bandwagons who jumped onto the Philly sports scene when the Phillies started winning and have the nerve to call us true fans "frontrunners" or the like are the only fickle people in this city.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM

I don't want Cowher or any other re-tread coach though.

I want a young, hungry coach because that is exactly what this team and this city needs. Enough of the fat, lazy, stubborn even though they're complete idiots types running some of our teams. We need new blood, accountable blood.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
Hey, he could be Rich Kotite.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 PM

584 posts, read 1,419,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post

These lies about Reid are easily debunked.
How are they lies? Have the eagles not made it to the playoffs 9 times from 2000-2010? They have. Have they not won the NFC east 6 of those? Did they not make it to the Superbowl, once?

I was born and raised in Philly. When the Eagles do well, I love them. They're doing poorly now, and I still support the team. I recognize that Reid's days are numbered. His tenure is longer than that of the typical coach. But I think it's silly to totally dismiss his accomplishments as a coach.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
How are they lies? Have the eagles not made it to the playoffs 9 times from 2000-2010? They have. Have they not won the NFC east 6 of those? Did they not make it to the Superbowl, once?

I was born and raised in Philly. When the Eagles do well, I love them. They're doing poorly now, and I still support the team. I recognize that Reid's days are numbered. His tenure is longer than that of the typical coach. But I think it's silly to totally dismiss his accomplishments as a coach.
They beat up on a weak NFC East and took advantage of a weak NFC (minus a few teams). They relied on people like McNabb and Westbrook to perform miracles in the playoffs, and they mostly won because of their defense. They beat flawed teams (Vick's Falcons for one), and they did it because of defense.

I'm all for giving people credit where credit is due. I am however not for giving them credit they don't deserve. Reid made a handful of good draft choices (Westbrook, McNabb to name two) and a whole lot of sh*tty ones. He took one of the best defensive teams in the NFL for years and turned it into an undisciplined cupcake. He did great work with QBs, forced his players to adapt to a system, and gave them an offensive identity. That's it though. Everything else was either Jim Johnson or Banner/Lurie.

This year is not a fluke. It's what happens every year. The only difference is that this year Reid has nobody to save his a$$ and clean up his mistakes.

The Eagles haven't been the same since the SuperBowl. They used to set the standard that everybody in the NFC copied. After the SB, they first copied the Rams on offense (greatest show on turf), then the Saints('06-'08 run-first, clock-using team), then the more explosive Saints, and on defense they copied the Giants('08 Giants) and then the Packers(this year).

He most definitely needs to go, and it has nothing to do with any "fickle" Philly fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia