Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,351,190 times

Advertisements

What the heck...? I thought the thread was about Springfield, but now in your multi-point business proposal I'm seeing relocation plans for stores in Jersey. Well, even though you're all over the map (literally and figuratively), I must say I like your pluckiness in coming up with ideas for space planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM

172 posts, read 387,778 times
I just came back home from New Orleans to find out the Sears in Upper Darby is closing. What would be nice is if the Burlington that the Bazaar was near could move to the second floor of Sears. The Modell's and Red Lobster in the Bazaar area could together take up the first floor. In my big switcheroo plan, the Sears at Granite Run would be the only department store that would stay put. That place could really use a remodel though.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 PM

It's sad about the Sears closing, but I'm surprised any Sears are still open. And I find it hilarious that the only store the Kardashians could find to sell their brand was Sears. Or is it that Sears is desperately trying to sound hip and trendy...

Speaking of stores that have seen better days -- have you been in the Macy's at Plymouth Meeting Mall? Wow, what a dump. I figured it's Macy's, it's gotta be fairly decent, but it looks like they haven't done a thing since they took over Strawbridge's. Well, that whole Mall is depressing.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 PM

172 posts, read 387,778 times
I wonder why Wal-Mart/Walmart didn't take the opportunity to have a Marple store when Bradlees closed. Almost all Bradlees (including the only other one in Delco, Glenolden) became Wal-Mart/Walmart, but the New York/Boston grocery chain Stop & Shop used to own Bradlees and still owns many of their former store leases. Stop & Shop at the time of Bradlees failure was bought by Ahold, the Dutch company that owns Giant. So the Bradlees in Broomall became Giant. How amazing is it that grocery stores used to be so small, like the A&P that was next to this store when it was Two Guys and Jefferson Ward. Also notice the contrast between the Penn Fruit (now Old Navy) and Genuardi's (was John Wanamaker) in Wynnewood, the Penn Fruit (now Staples) and Giant in Springfield, and the A&P (now Big Lots) and Giant in Aston. For some odd reason, Bradlees in this case didn't use all the space Two Guys did (not sure if Jefferson Ward did), and the remainder of the Two Guys became AC Moore and PetSmart.

Also, did anybody know the high school in Springfield was built in 1954 but never had air conditioning?

Last edited by magicoz; 01-01-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,601,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
I wonder why Wal-Mart/Walmart didn't take the opportunity to have a Marple store when Bradlees closed. Almost all Bradlees became Wal-Mart/Walmart, but Stop & Shop (who used to own Bradlees and still owns many of their former store leases) was bought by Ahold, the Dutch company that owns Giant, so the Bradlees in Broomall became Giant. How amazing is it that grocery stores used to be so small, like the A&P that was next to this store when it was Two Guys and Jefferson Ward. Also notice the contrast between the Penn Fruit (now Old Navy) and Genuardi's (was John Wanamaker) in Wynnewood, the Penn Fruit (now Staples) and Giant in Springfield, and the A&P (now Big Lots) and Giant in Aston. For some odd reason, Bradlees in this case didn't use all the space Two Guys did (not sure if Jefferson Ward did), and the remainder of the Two Guys became AC Moore and PetSmart.

Also, did anybody know the high school in Springfield was built in 1954 but never had air conditioning?
Wow Slavemart a sure sign that a neighborhood is going downhill

Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Speaking of stores that have seen better days -- have you been in the Macy's at Plymouth Meeting Mall? Wow, what a dump. I figured it's Macy's, it's gotta be fairly decent, but it looks like they haven't done a thing since they took over Strawbridge's. Well, that whole Mall is depressing.
Too close to King of Prussia. KOP is a retail vacuum sucking the life out of nearby malls. You have to be a good distance from KOP to survive from a retail pov. Exton,Montgomeryville,Concord,Christiania,Cherry Hill type distance.

The Blue Route probably did in Springfield Mall and Granite Run. You can get to KOP from Media/Springfield in 15 minutes. It used to be a hassle pre Blue Route.

Why go to GRM or Springfield when you can go to KOP?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 AM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
I saw a movie at the Marple 10 today. It isn't upscale, but I'd hardly call it a dump like some people have suggested--just your run-of-the-mill shopping center theater.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Too close to King of Prussia. KOP is a retail vacuum sucking the life out of nearby malls. You have to be a good distance from KOP to survive from a retail pov. Exton,Montgomeryville,Concord,Christiania,Cherry Hill type distance.

The Blue Route probably did in Springfield Mall and Granite Run. You can get to KOP from Media/Springfield in 15 minutes. It used to be a hassle pre Blue Route.

Why go to GRM or Springfield when you can go to KOP?
Well, yeah, but it's kind of a Catch-22. I'd go to Springfield or GRM if they had the types of stores/amenities that KOP has; they're way closer.

I remember when Plymouth Meeting Mall opened (yeah, I'm that old). KOP was just "The Plaza" then, with no indoor mall. Plymouth Meeting spelled the death of Norristown's Main St., which used to be the place to go and even had high-end women's boutiques like Novell's.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM

958 posts, read 1,189,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I saw a movie at the Marple 10 today. It isn't upscale, but I'd hardly call it a dump like some people have suggested--just your run-of-the-mill shopping center theater.
Exactly.

Did the sound malfunction when you were watching your movie or have they fixed that?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Exactly.

Did the sound malfunction when you were watching your movie or have they fixed that?
Sound was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia