Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Based on your criteria, my advice is to look at a map of Philadelphia. Look anywhere between the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers and from Walnut Street to Washington Avenue. Live anywhere inside that box and you'll find what you're looking for. The more north inside that box is more bustle. There are also great areas outside that box, but IMO this seems to be the best fit for you.
or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,757 times
Why the sudden hate on Fishtown going around on the Philly forum recently? Fishtown is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It's solidly middle class neighborhood with newer middle class families moving in. It's probably one of the city's model neighborhoods in this regard. It's safe, and generally pretty affordable, although prices there have been trending up, you can still find very reasonable rentals in Fishtown.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Why the sudden hate on Fishtown going around on the Philly forum recently? ............
I am guessing those people just think it's overrated. I do. It's sort of like Media that way. It's not that bad but it's far from the greatest. It's for people who can't afford something better.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
here is Fishtown's demographics. I have roots there, My Mom was from there many years ago.. But the facts are facts.. The op has an MBA sio I seriously doubt that all he can (or will be able to) afford..
Philadelphia Fishtown Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am guessing those people just think it's overrated. I do. It's sort of like Media that way. It's not that bad but it's far from the greatest. It's for people who can't afford something better.
Are you familiar with Media? I mean, I sort of get your point. I'm from Delco and get a little tired that it seems the go to response at times is Media (even when the OP asks for a burb that's 20 minutes from the city). But, there are million dollar homes in Media on acres of property. There are homes that are certainly more modest...but there are some really impressive areas in Media. I'm not sure why anyone would knock it. I can understand if it's not your go-to area, but certainly nothing wrong with Media.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
here is Fishtown's demographics. I have roots there, My Mom was from there many years ago.. But the facts are facts.. The op has an MBA sio I seriously doubt that all he can (or will be able to) afford..
Philadelphia Fishtown Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics
The fact is your link shows four zip codes, two of which don't cover any part of Fishtown. Are we supposed to conclude something from that?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Quote:
or not.
I was going by his desire for bustle, gen Y people, nightlife, walkability/transit, etc. It sounds like Center City and areas very close by. Do you think I steered him wrong?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
Quote:
Media certainly seems to be overrated on this particular forum . . . almost nauseatingly so, but i think that has more to do with the people who frequent this board than anything. i don't hear people talk about it all that much in everyday life. Fishtown, on the other hand, you do hear a lot about, and with good reason because it is part of the gentrification wave along the Delaware. There are many great areas in the philadelphia area. Every place has its pro's and con's, whether affordability, character, space, convenience, etc. Just depends on what you're looking for. The answer is not the same for every person.

Last edited by Angus215; 12-21-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The fact is your link shows four zip codes, two of which don't cover any part of Fishtown. Are we supposed to conclude something from that?

Philadelphia Poplar Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Are you familiar with Media? I mean, I sort of get your point. I'm from Delco and get a little tired that it seems the go to response at times is Media (even when the OP asks for a burb that's 20 minutes from the city). But, there are million dollar homes in Media on acres of property. There are homes that are certainly more modest...but there are some really impressive areas in Media. I'm not sure why anyone would knock it. I can understand if it's not your go-to area, but certainly nothing wrong with Media.
I am very familiar with Media and I said it was ok, it is just overrated on this forum. Ironically I think it is the walkable downtown that makes it so popular here rather than the more upscale suburban sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I was going by his desire for bustle, gen Y people, nightlife, walkability/transit, etc. It sounds like Center City and areas very close by. Do you think I steered him wrong?
Just don't want the OP to think there is some compelling reason to stay within those boundaries. He might find something on Chestnut St or even north of Market in Old City. On the other hand south of South St to Washington isn't exactly the heart of the action. To be fair you did say there are great areas outside your boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia