U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,219 times

Advertisements

I'm a student at Drexel right now and I go back home every weekend. I take the train to Trenton and get a ride the rest of the way, which is $8.75 each way. Periodically, I go up to Secaucus which is much more expensive. Is it worth it to get a monthly pass? I can get a 10% discount on SEPTA for a monthly and 25% off of NJ Transit. I can't even figure out exactly which passes I need. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 AM

3,856 posts, read 7,773,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afowl1089 View Post
I'm a student at Drexel right now and I go back home every weekend. I take the train to Trenton and get a ride the rest of the way, which is $8.75 each way. Periodically, I go up to Secaucus which is much more expensive. Is it worth it to get a monthly pass? I can get a 10% discount on SEPTA for a monthly and 25% off of NJ Transit. I can't even figure out exactly which passes I need. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I definitely wouldn't get a monthly pass.

If I understand correctly, an "Anywhere" monthly pass would be $191 per month. If you're traveling 8 times per month, multiply that by $8.75 and you get $70. Unless you plan on doing travel on the Regional Rail during the week, you'd be wasting a lot of money.

The fare brochure is here: http://www.septa.org/fares/new/fare-brochure-2010.pdf

For NJT, you can calulate your fare here: New Jersey Transit

A ticket from Trenton to Secaucus costs $15.50, so you'd be spending $31 every weekend, or $124 per month. A student monthly is $330, so again, it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM

25 posts, read 85,082 times
Hi Afowl1089,

I agree with checkmatechamp13 that purchasing the monthly passes would not be the most economical if you are mainly traveling on weekends, and his calculations are correct. There is even a Joint SEPTA & NJ Transit Monthly Pass (SEPTA | Joint SEPTA & NJ Transit Monthly Pass), however it costs $612.00 for the trip you need. You can see this, and other monthly passes, are best for daily commuters.

I would like to mention that SEPTA offers 'Ten Trip Ticket' packets that will slightly reduce the price for the SEPTA portion of your trip. With the 'Ten Trip Ticket' packet, essentially you purchase ten one-way tickets. The Zone 6 (Phila to Trenton) Ten Trip Ticket packet costs $77.50 (which basically makes it $7.75 each way). The tickets are valid for 180 days (6 months).
Also, IF you so happen to already use a Transpass, Trailpass or Univeristy Pass currently, be aware that these passes hold "anywhere" priveleges on weekends and major holidays. This means the pass is valid for travel on any form of SEPTA tranist or rail witthout any additional fare. You could ride to form Phila to Trenton with a regular Transpass on weekends.

If you have any questions, visit the Passenger Services Kiosk at your Center City departing station, or contact us at 215-580-7800, or online at www.septa.org and use the online form or chat feature.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM

921 posts, read 1,348,979 times
If you live on campus you do not need a monthly pass, especially if you just take NJT from Trenton periodically. Even with the discounts you'd still be spending more on monthlies than you would be for single trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia