U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 3,875 times
Default Relocating After Military

My husband will be getting out of the Army in a year and we're considering Philadelphia as our next location.

When are you moving? Jan/ Feb 2013
Where are you coming from? Fort Campbell, KY
Why are you moving? Family and Friends in area (NYC, Philly)
Where will you be working? No idea
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment or Townhouse, Preferably no more than $1000

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Doesn't matter
Do you have pets? 2: 1 dog (50 lbs), 1 cat
Do you want or need a yard? Need a yard for my dog
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
***Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,342,897 times
Now that I see this I would strongly recommend Media, and Aston. Basically Delaware County is good for you, just avoid the towns that border PHiladelphia. The farther north and west you go the the weathier and more spacious it gets.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM

15,909 posts, read 11,503,510 times
The nearest PX, Commissary and TriCare would be Fort Dix, everything else is closed. That's one of the reasons I don't live in Philadelphia.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM

147 posts, read 136,186 times
You should check out Media. Before my wife and I settled on Center City, we were looking at apartments and houses in that area. She doesn't drive, so the town was small and dense enough to be walkable, and she would have been able to do all of the food shopping right on Main Street at the Trader Joes, and the other mom and pops. There's also a bunch of interesting restaurants in that area as well.

You can also hop on the Regional Rail right to Center City Philadelphia, or use the trolley that still runs on Main Street to Upper Darby.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM

958 posts, read 185,141 times
Honestly, if you don't have kids then the only places you really need to worry about in Delaware County are the ones closest to the city. Your husband was in the military so I'm sure he could easily handle himself in parts of Upper Darby or Clifton Heights. The way some people talk about the inner-ring on here, you'd think it were a warzone or something. It's simple: Just be street smart and stay away from areas that aren't well-lit at night or smaller streets in areas that are more prone to crime and possible violence.

The only reason I wouldn't really recommend that area for you is because you want to live near nightlife, and outside of pubs/restaurants, bars, and music venues, the only nightlife is the strip club in Essington and the area around 69th street where there's at least one club (that apparently continues to be shut down). Maybe if your husband were some wuss from some more sheltered area I would say that the area is dangerous but if a military man can't handle himself against thugs and druggies then I don't know who can.

Good luck in your search. I personally would recommend Media too if it's nightlife you're looking for in Delaware County.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM

198 posts, read 382,053 times
We settled here after my husband got out of the army. The high cost of living was quite a shock after living in NC, FL, and SC. We still can't believe how much rent/housing costs are. We live in the Conshohocken area. It is a good area for younger couples without kids. It is close to the city, King of Prussia mall, train stations, some nightlife, etc. However, cost of living is fairly high. We are looking to move out of Philly as soon as we can. Lots of luck to you both. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 AM

958 posts, read 185,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
We settled here after my husband got out of the army. The high cost of living was quite a shock after living in NC, FL, and SC. We still can't believe how much rent/housing costs are. We live in the Conshohocken area. It is a good area for younger couples without kids. It is close to the city, King of Prussia mall, train stations, some nightlife, etc. However, cost of living is fairly high. We are looking to move out of Philly as soon as we can. Lots of luck to you both. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
That's because everything in the Delaware Valley is so close together. The further out you go from Philadelphia, the cheaper it is.

PA is a big state so if you're leaving the Philadelphia area for good then check out the rest of the state. There's great places to live all over the state, including smaller cities like Harrisburg and Lancaster and Allentown, etc, to go along with many great towns and suburbs and everything else you can imagine.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,342,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
That's because everything in the Delaware Valley is so close together. The further out you go from Philadelphia, the cheaper it is.

PA is a big state so if you're leaving the Philadelphia area for good then check out the rest of the state. There's great places to live all over the state, including smaller cities like Harrisburg and Lancaster and Allentown, etc, to go along with many great towns and suburbs and everything else you can imagine.
They would be better off in the Philadelphia area over Harrisburg, Allentown, or Lancaster. I would suggest the Lehigh Valley after Philadelphia area.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 PM

198 posts, read 382,053 times
I would love to live out further but I work in the city so I have my commute to think of. The next move will definitely be somewhere warmer! I am thinking back down to Florida which I miss every single day of the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia