Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
The one in Wynnewood is/was a dump. Good riddance.
I used to think that one was one of the better ones around. But then reality set in.

Some of the newer Genuardi's -- on Henderson Rd in KOP, and on Ridge Pike in Plymouth/Whitemarsh -- are brighter, newer, and seem laid out better. But no matter how many different Genuardi's I went in and walked through, I always get the feeling of, 'these are nice looking stores, but where's all the good stuff', like something was always lacking, but you never could say exactly what that something is, or was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Giant's parent company is located in the Netherlands. Not sure how that's an improvement over Minnesota for the local economy.
No way! You don't say!

Allow me to spell it out for you then, and then you can speak condescendingly to me some more. I'm sure you'll relish that opportunity.

A Minnesota company owns ACME. Ahold owns GIANT. Now if GIANT, NOT Ahold could buy ACME, it would mean that more money would be going to GIANT, which would mean more money for PA. It wouldn't mean that all of the money would go to GIANT, of course, but more of it would than does now.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Minnesota company owns ACME. Ahold owns GIANT. Now if GIANT, NOT Ahold could buy ACME, it would mean that more money would be going to GIANT, which would mean more money for PA. It wouldn't mean that all of the money would go to GIANT, of course, but more of it would than does now.
I still fail to see the difference.

Ahold is headquartered in the Netherlands. Their "Giant/PA" division is headquartered in Carlyle, PA.

Supervalu is headquartered in Minnesota. Their "Acme" division is headquartered in Malvern, PA.

If Giant buys Acme, how does that benefit PA? You're just trading one in-state subsidiary of an out-of-state company for another.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I used to think that one was one of the better ones around. But then reality set in.

Some of the newer Genuardi's -- on Henderson Rd in KOP, and on Ridge Pike in Plymouth/Whitemarsh -- are brighter, newer, and seem laid out better. But no matter how many different Genuardi's I went in and walked through, I always get the feeling of, 'these are nice looking stores, but where's all the good stuff', like something was always lacking, but you never could say exactly what that something is, or was.
I wonder if Trader Joes would be interested in some locations.

Trader Joes could go into the Genuardi's at Cherry Hill, and Genuardi's at Conshohocken, with both stores being subdivided for Trader Joes and another store.

Both are decent plazas near good traffic.

ShopRite is another candidate but it varies by their owners, and it'd essentially be just a low price leader but offering nothing special in terms of product selection. ShopRite might remove the salad bar seating, since it's rare to see them in ShopRite anyways.

The Whitemarsh plaza is already quite full, and there might not be enough parking available for a ShopRite given the big crowd it might draw.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'd be surprised if Trader Joes did any more expansion around here until it can sell beer and wine (wouldn't that be wonderful!). But I do like surprises ... and the Whitemarsh store would be a great location.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm patiently awaiting the day Wegman's begins to make inroads into the Eastern Main Line.
I'd love one in the Jenkintown vicinity too. I grew up in NY state and miss Wegmans.

I shopped Genuardi's because it is closer than most, but they are frequently out of sale items. I shop Acme, Genuardis and Pathmark, but I only buy stuff when it's on sale or fairly priced. You can get good deals at any supermarket and you can avoid getting ripped off by not buying stuff that is overpriced or stocking up on it when its on sale. To me, each store has its good and bad. Guess I have to get a Giant card now.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I'd love one in the Jenkintown vicinity too. I grew up in NY state and miss Wegmans.

I shopped Genuardi's because it is closer than most, but they are frequently out of sale items. I shop Acme, Genuardis and Pathmark, but I only buy stuff when it's on sale or fairly priced. You can get good deals at any supermarket and you can avoid getting ripped off by not buying stuff that is overpriced or stocking up on it when its on sale. To me, each store has its good and bad. Guess I have to get a Giant card now.
Actually I just read that the Genurdi in Abington is set to close because it's too small.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
You do know there's a Wegmans about ten miles away in Warrington, right?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Maybe 5 years ago, longer maybe, I heard that they were losing large amounts of business since changing their stores to more discount groceries. Then they said they changed them back. But then other stores( Giant, Wal mart) were eating their lunch and drinking their milkshake.
We have a Giant near us and I do go there to take advantage of their deli and bakery from time to time. Its a good chain although a locally owned Lancaster grocery outclasses it in most areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia