Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 29,406 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to the Philadelphia area from Arlington, VA. I am originally from central PA and my spouse is from NJ. We are both somewhat familiar with the area, but this is still a huge decision. We love Arlington, VA but have grown tired of the oppressive home prices coupled with the square footage and lot size of said homes, coupled with having to have two working parents and sending our young children off to daycare for an obscene sum of money every year. We are looking for a suburb of Philadelphia which most resembles Arlington, VA, with tree-lined streets and older homes ranging from 2500 sq ft to 3000 sq ft, 4-5 BR. Below is the standard form. Would love to hear recommendations.

When are you moving? –Within 1 year

Where are you coming from? --Arlington, VA
Why are you moving? --Closer to family, larger home for less money, more financial flexibility
Where will you be working? --From our house
Have you been here yet? --Visited a few times

Will you buy or rent? --Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? –Single family house
How much can you spend? –500K

Are you married or single? –Married
Do you have children? – 3 Year Old, 6 Month Old
Do you prefer public or private schools? --Public
Do you have pets? --No
Do you want or need a yard? --Yes
Are you keeping a car? --Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? --Happy Medium

What do you want to be closest to? --Shopping, outdoor recreation, train

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? --Not an issue either way

Coke or Pepsi? --Coke Zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 PM

57 posts, read 122,138 times
Being a Philly suburb native and having spent ten years in NOVA, I would look into Media 19603 zip or the main line. Both are well connected to the city, have great schools, good QOL. Media is awesome, you will know your neighbors, diverse socioeconomically, people are involved with the community. Vibrant downtown with a mix of urban and suburban. You will love Media.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 AM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike 80 View Post
Being a Philly suburb native and having spent ten years in NOVA, I would look into Media 19603 zip or the main line. Both are well connected to the city, have great schools, good QOL. Media is awesome, you will know your neighbors, diverse socioeconomically, people are involved with the community. Vibrant downtown with a mix of urban and suburban. You will love Media.
Great suggestion. Seconded,

And I'm guessing by connected you're referring to the public transportation options? If so, then I'll elaborate for you and mention to the OP that Media and other places suggested by big mike in this post are connected directly to Center City by regional rail.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
You may want to look at Medford, Moorestown Nj too, Both fantastic areas, close to the city but still far enough away for excellent quality of life, schools and clean and very safe communities. Homes are very reasonably priced too. Taxes comparable to Bucks, Montgomery and Chester counties in pa too. Moorestown to Center city is an easy 20 minute drive.

Last edited by frankgn87; 12-15-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 AM

10 posts, read 29,406 times
Thank you for the opinions offered so far, I am most appreciative. Definitely going to check out Media. Some other areas we've been considering are Jenkintown (Jenkintown Manor), Ambler, Lafayette Hill, and Bala Cynwyd/Merion Station on the main line. Can anyone offer any thoughts on these areas specifically? Pros, cons? We are trying to stay within 30 minutes of the city because we have always lived in a "close-in" suburb in the DC area and are quite used to short commutes and easy access to both the city and outer suburbs. Currently, I telework, so it is a non-issue for me. My wife plans to stay home for a few years, so it is an immediate non-issue for her. However, all good things come to an end and we want to be close in for when things do change.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestoverAndOver View Post
Thank you for the opinions offered so far, I am most appreciative. Definitely going to check out Media. Some other areas we've been considering are Jenkintown (Jenkintown Manor), Ambler, Lafayette Hill, and Bala Cynwyd/Merion Station on the main line. Can anyone offer any thoughts on these areas specifically? Pros, cons? We are trying to stay within 30 minutes of the city because we have always lived in a "close-in" suburb in the DC area and are quite used to short commutes and easy access to both the city and outer suburbs. Currently, I telework, so it is a non-issue for me. My wife plans to stay home for a few years, so it is an immediate non-issue for her. However, all good things come to an end and we want to be close in for when things do change.
sounds like you've picked some good areas for what you're looking for. of those, Ambler is probably a little futher out (approx 30 min via train), but won't be as congested as the other areas. it's an older industrial town that has had a recent resurgence, surrounded by some newer suburbs and some very affluent areas. you should check them all out, just depends on your preferences.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM

283 posts, read 607,060 times
If home prices are your chief concern and you're used to being very close in to the city, you should seriously consider South Jersey. For the most part, NJ suburbs are way closer proximity wise to the places in Philly you'd want to go for work/play (e.g. Old City, Center City) than the PA suburbs. Also, while PA property taxes may be lower, you'll find that NJ property taxes suppress the value of NJ homes. Therefore, you may find that your $500,000 goes a lot further in NJ than PA. You should check out Haddonfield in addition to the recommendations of Medford and Moorestown. Haddonfield may get you less land than Moorestown, but you'll have better access to the train and the city. Good luck with your hunt!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Definitely Media, Upper Providence, Newtown Square, Swarthmore. All of those towns bored each other. Or the mainline specifically Wayne, which resembles Media, a quaint downtown surrounded by nice scenery and nice homes.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Definitely Media, Upper Providence, Newtown Square, Swarthmore. All of those towns bored each other. Or the mainline specifically Wayne, which resembles Media, a quaint downtown surrounded by nice scenery and nice homes.
500k will probably fall just short of the type of house the OP seems to be looking for on most of the Main Line (though you could have some luck in the Bala-Cynwyd, Merion, Wynnewood, and Ardmore sections of Lower Merion Township, along with the borough of Narberth). Haddonfield and Moorestown will offer a bit more of an expanded selection, and Media/Central DelCo will grant you even more flexibility.

OP: Have you considered the northern suburbs at all besides Jenkintown? The Rydal/Meadowbrook sections of Abington, along with Springfield and Cheltenham could have just what you're after in a community.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I second Wayne. Also Haverford,Ardmore,Bryn Mawr,Narberth,Wynnewood,Merion.

You will get more bang for your buck down in the Media area. Media,Swarthmore,Nether Providence,Wallingford,Upper Providence,Marple- Newtown.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia