U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM

19 posts, read 24,298 times
Default safe place to live

Hey guys! im moving to philadelphia next year to attend the university of penn. it is a new city for me, so i dont know where the safe places are to live. im also looking for studio or one bedroom apts that wont cost me more than 700 per month. I was thinking about finding an apartment in university city. so to sum up...im just wondering where the safest places to live are in phily. also, are there any safe areas in university city with affordable rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,241,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacoMatt View Post
Hey guys! im moving to philadelphia next year to attend the university of penn. it is a new city for me, so i dont know where the safe places are to live. im also looking for studio or one bedroom apts that wont cost me more than 700 per month. I was thinking about finding an apartment in university city. so to sum up...im just wondering where the safest places to live are in phily. also, are there any safe areas in university city with affordable rent?
University City is a safe neighborhood and very convenient to UPenn since it basically is Penn's neighborhood. Look anywhere in Spruce Hill or Cedar Park. Rents are still pretty cheap around here. You should be able to find a studio for that price. There's a lot of students renting in the area, so that sort of dictates the rental prices. You can also look around Center City, but that's going to be a lot more expensive.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 AM

160 posts, read 143,846 times
Seconded. Just stay in U-city. The neighborhoods Marius Pontmercy mentioned are both lovely and convenient for Upenn and Drexel(and there are even quite a few of us Temple kids around who preferred to live here instead of around Temple), and you'll probably live in a beautiful historic house. I have friends that rent studios for 750-800 in Center City(mostly Washington Square West), it's doable and if you were willing to live with a roommate you could find a place in pretty much any area of the city. I would actually recommend finding a roommate, whether you're an undergrad, grad student, professor or anarchist crust punk, you'll be able to find people like minded people.

I commute via subway, and know UPenn students who commute from all over the city, so you could also expand your search to other areas of the city if you wanted. Fishtown, Northern Liberties, neighborhoods in South Philly(stay East of Broad, things get pricier in areas like Queen Village and Graduate Hospital, but you can really get a steal in South Philly) would be places to look, you could take the El in from Fishtown and would be able to find a place within your price range.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,354,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
(and there are even quite a few of us Temple kids around who preferred to live here instead of around Temple)
You miss out on all the North Philly fun though

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM

7,789 posts, read 9,955,820 times
I guess to honestly answer your question, one would have to ask what is your opinion of "safe". So before anyone answers, we must know what you are used to right now when it comes to the meaning of 'safe'. I hope you do know that Philadelphia was again rated at the most dangerous city in the US.

Kill-adelphia: Yet again, city tops list of homicide rates - Philly.com

Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,116,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I guess to honestly answer your question, one would have to ask what is your opinion of "safe". So before anyone answers, we must know what you are used to right now when it comes to the meaning of 'safe'. I hope you do know that Philadelphia was again rated at the most dangerous city in the US.

Kill-adelphia: Yet again, city tops list of homicide rates - Philly.com
Not really. That's good for a sensational headline, and goes along with your general theme of Philly bashing, but it's not really true.

As was stated recently on another thread, Philadelphia has the highest murder rate of the 10 largest US cities, which is NOT something to be proud of, but there's not need to exaggerate, especially if you say you're trying to be "honest". A list of the ten largest leaves off many places like Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, St. Louis, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Tulsa, Cincinatti, Toledo, Kansas City etc etc, which are ranked higher than Philly on actual lists of most dangerous cities.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

BTW Philly is ranked #30 on that list, if you don't want to actually look at it.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM

It's city safe. I would say you're about as safe in University City as you are in the better parts of any other city in the country.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,519,933 times
The problem is that University City is a comparatively safe island with an ocean full of sharks on three sides so you have to be real careful to not go near the water.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 PM

6,176 posts, read 4,144,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
It's city safe. I would say you're about as safe in University City as you are in the better parts of any other city in the country.
It really varies--up to a block-by-block basis. I wouldn't say University City is dangerous, but 34th and Chestnut is a lot safer than, say, 43rd and Chester. Look carefully--and ask around.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It really varies--up to a block-by-block basis. I wouldn't say University City is dangerous, but 34th and Chestnut is a lot safer than, say, 43rd and Chester. Look carefully--and ask around.
43rd and Chester? What is this, 1995?? 43rd and Chester is right next to University of the Sciences and Clark Park. The dangerous parts of University City are along Market St outside the university, say west of 40th St, and past maybe 49th St and the regional rail tracks. In fact, there's good parts of West Philly beyond that as well. The area around Malcolm X Park is stable and is beyond 49th St. If OP is looking for apartments he should look within those boundaries. Look along Baltimore Ave since you can take the 34 trolley right to the university. And of course visit before you move on any apartment. Make sure you feel comfortable in the neighborhood first, and talk to the neighbors to see who you'll be living near.

Also, the safety map provides a good rule of thumb for finding safe neighborhoods in the city. Ignoring the rest of the map, I'd say the boundaries they give for the good "green" part of University City are pretty much accurate:

http://g.co/maps/3krt8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia