U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The City
18,521 posts, read 14,539,118 times
Reputation: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Except one thing. Many people in this city do not drive.

in fact only 64% of the people in Philadelphia drive. Now pedestrians struck by cars also are included in auto death statistics. But the fact is the more miles you drive, the more likely you are to die in an auto crash. The fact that so much of the population is driving ZERO miles makes a 1 to 1 comparison between the two rates illogical.

The other problem with this comparison is that while accidental auto deaths are likely spread fairly evenly throughout the city (with perhaps a few more at dangerous road locations), the murders in this city are VERY concentrated. By taking out just a few square miles of Philadelphia you can severely cut the murder rate in Philadelphia.

Why does this matter? Well because a sensible person can just say, "I will never walk around Point Breeze." It's easy for the most part to avoid being murdered. By avoiding terrible neighborhoods and staying away from drugs and putting your ego in check a sensible person can nearly wipe away their chance of being murdered.

You can also lower your chances of being killed in an auto accident as well. Never drive drunk, be a good driver, pay attention. All of these things will lower your chances of being killed by a car.

I can't say for sure which a Philadelphia should fear more, being murdered or dying in a car accident, but I know this much; If you stay out of bad neighborhoods, be respectful, and don't involve yourself with crime you have a very small chance of being murdered.

By the same token if you drive safe, don't drive drunk, and pay attention you have a very small chance of dying in an auto accident.
I wonder the chance of being murdered by those carrying a weapon versus those not, but wont go there as I am a bit of a constitutionlist of sorts

 
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,070 posts, read 1,450,195 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I wonder the chance of being murdered by those carrying a weapon versus those not, but wont go there as I am a bit of a constitutionlist of sorts
do you mean the attacker is carrying a weapon or the victim?

The way you word it seems like you are referring to the attacker, but as the attacker would be carrying a weapon in close to 100% of cases, I assume you're talking about the victim.

I would say your chances are much higher if you are carrying a weapon. No matter what that weapon may be.

I'd say this is for two reasons.

For one, most of the idiots in the hood shooting each other have weapons on them so this would really affect the numbers.

The second reason though is one I don't think many suspect. If a regular citizen is carrying a weapon, any weapon, be it a switch blade or a gun, that person is more likely to attempt to use that weapon to subdue their attacker. The thing is most people who are not criminal who find themselves in dangerous situations are being robbed and by far the best thing to do in that situation is to just give your attacker what they want and let them run off. You lose your phone and your wallet, but you keep your life.

If you are a woman however it's a bit trickier. As a man I can safely assume all they want is my possessions... with a woman they may be after something more, that means letting them "just take what they want" is likely not an option. I'd carry mace if I were a woman.

However you interpret the second amendment it doesn't really matter. Carrying a gun around Philly is a dumb thing to do. You can believe you have the right to own a gun and yet still make the educated decision to not own one.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
 
Location: The City
18,521 posts, read 14,539,118 times
Reputation: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
do you mean the attacker is carrying a weapon or the victim?

The way you word it seems like you are referring to the attacker, but as the attacker would be carrying a weapon in close to 100% of cases, I assume you're talking about the victim.

I would say your chances are much higher if you are carrying a weapon. No matter what that weapon may be.

I'd say this is for two reasons.

For one, most of the idiots in the hood shooting each other have weapons on them so this would really affect the numbers.

The second reason though is one I don't think many suspect. If a regular citizen is carrying a weapon, any weapon, be it a switch blade or a gun, that person is more likely to attempt to use that weapon to subdue their attacker. The thing is most people who are not criminal who find themselves in dangerous situations are being robbed and by far the best thing to do in that situation is to just give your attacker what they want and let them run off. You lose your phone and your wallet, but you keep your life.

If you are a woman however it's a bit trickier. As a man I can safely assume all they want is my possessions... with a woman they may be after something more, that means letting them "just take what they want" is likely not an option. I'd carry mace if I were a woman.

However you interpret the second amendment it doesn't really matter. Carrying a gun around Philly is a dumb thing to do. You can believe you have the right to own a gun and yet still make the educated decision to not own one.
meant the victim; and agree on your point of the second amendment and need to carry a weapon; not sure the same rationale would be apparent as the reason in the first place. tricky subject on the legal side though

What doesnt make sense is need to carry automated weapons in any capacity on your person day to day
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
64 posts, read 84,440 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What doesnt make sense is need to carry automated weapons in any capacity on your person day to day
No one is allowed to possess fully automatic weapons whether your a law abiding citizen or not...only gun collectors, police, and the military have those...unless your a drug dealing gangbanger LOL
 
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Center City
3,513 posts, read 2,728,351 times
Reputation: 4382
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
You are approximately 4 times as likely to be murdered in Philly then to die in an auto accident..
Since I'm not a gang banger and I hardly ever drive, I am probably 50 times more likely to die of old age than either of these two options.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,789 posts, read 9,242,529 times
Reputation: 2100
how about the Blvd and 95? They fly on both those roads.. Center city, yes not too many vehicle deaths bit as you move away from CC the roads can get pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I think that just has more to do with the roadways and less to do with the quality of the driver.

I've heard the most dangerous roadways are non divided highways. Roads where drivers exceed 40mph, but there are intersections and pedestrians and no median etc. Through Pennsylvania these types of roadways are very common... in philly though? Honestly only Kelly drive comes to mind, although I'm not much of a driver. The point is on the VERY VAST majority of roadways it is illegal to even a approach a speed that would likely end it death if an accident occurred.

So automobile death are basically restricted to the few roads like Kelly drive that exist, the highways... and idiots who decide to go twice the legal limit on the regular city streets.

I don't think Philly has a lower rate than the rest of the state because by all visual accounts... we def do not haha.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,789 posts, read 9,242,529 times
Reputation: 2100
good points very true in both accounts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Except one thing. Many people in this city do not drive.

in fact only 64% of the people in Philadelphia drive. Now pedestrians struck by cars also are included in auto death statistics. But the fact is the more miles you drive, the more likely you are to die in an auto crash. The fact that so much of the population is driving ZERO miles makes a 1 to 1 comparison between the two rates illogical.

The other problem with this comparison is that while accidental auto deaths are likely spread fairly evenly throughout the city (with perhaps a few more at dangerous road locations), the murders in this city are VERY concentrated. By taking out just a few square miles of Philadelphia you can severely cut the murder rate in Philadelphia.

Why does this matter? Well because a sensible person can just say, "I will never walk around Point Breeze." It's easy for the most part to avoid being murdered. By avoiding terrible neighborhoods and staying away from drugs and putting your ego in check a sensible person can nearly wipe away their chance of being murdered.

You can also lower your chances of being killed in an auto accident as well. Never drive drunk, be a good driver, pay attention. All of these things will lower your chances of being killed by a car.

I can't say for sure which a Philadelphia should fear more, being murdered or dying in a car accident, but I know this much; If you stay out of bad neighborhoods, be respectful, and don't involve yourself with crime you have a very small chance of being murdered.

By the same token if you drive safe, don't drive drunk, and pay attention you have a very small chance of dying in an auto accident.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,789 posts, read 9,242,529 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I wonder the chance of being murdered by those carrying a weapon versus those not, but wont go there as I am a bit of a constitutionlist of sorts

what do you mean?? Do you mean how many people are murdered by people carrying guns legally? If so, very few.. VERY few. 99.9% of the murders are done by people who are life criminals with illegally obtained guns.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA (University City)
5,813 posts, read 3,587,309 times
Reputation: 2959
This thread is all kinds of fail.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,572 posts, read 1,881,456 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
how about the Blvd and 95? They fly on both those roads.. Center city, yes not too many vehicle deaths bit as you move away from CC the roads can get pretty fast.
Yeah, #2 and #3 on State Farm's recent list of the 10 most dangerous intersections in America from a few years back were both on the Boulevard.

And practically every time I drive on that road, I see someone else risking death trying to run across the road between crosswalks.

We got a flat tire on the Boulevard over Christmas weekend and I feared for our lives when we had to pull off the road quickly from the center.

That road needs a major redesign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top