Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Racially-motivated crimes are not exclusive to Philadelphia. There are whites who feel superior to blacks in cities large and small throughout our nation. Likewise there are blacks who violently attack whites based upon their skin color alone everywhere, not just the City of Brotherly Love. I will have to concur, though, as a Caucasian from a solidly middle-class background that it's tiresome that I've been raised to love and respect those from all other races equally while many (not all) "urban" blacks are allowed to wield as much hatred against whites as they wish. It's NOT my fault, as a white male, that a black male who lives in North Philadelphia is angry at the world so why should I be beaten as a result? I'm living below the poverty line right now and am shivering. If I see a black person drive by in a Mercedes-Benz should I toss a slur at them? No. I should just inwardly be happy that they've found a niche in society that permits them to be well-compensated.

There have been racial tensions and hostilities everywhere I've lived---some places worse than others and some places targeting one group specifically more than others. For as many issues as Philadelphia has (including many Philadelphians thinking they're "superior" to we Pittsburghers, but I digress) the vast majority of them are NOT exclusive to your metro area.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well how many years do you expect someone to get for punching someone? 20 years?
They were beating the patron up. Please......

Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Well here is the passenger who was attacked in the cab, his picture is in the Daily News today because he wrote about his experience in the Daily Pennsylvanian

Sounded like a Flash Mob situation which I thought was unlikely in the winter time.

Passenger in Center City cab attack comes forward | PhillyConfidential | 01/30/2012

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
These little punks will jump the wrong person and that person will have a gun and empty it into them. These little punks need to be put in prison for their own safety. In Reading a young man is dead because he was out walking the streets and ran into the wrong person and then tried to rob him. If he was in prison where he belonged, at least he'd still be alive.
The cabbie needs a gun, not a tire iron. Mayor Nutter has my respect for trying to get through to the knuckle draggers of the city that their neanderthalic mentalities will no longer be tolerated.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Well here is the passenger who was attacked in the cab, his picture is in the Daily News today because he wrote about his experience in the Daily Pennsylvanian

Sounded like a Flash Mob situation which I thought was unlikely in the winter time.

Passenger in Center City cab attack comes forward | PhillyConfidential | 01/30/2012
sure does.. Animals. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-30-2012 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: That image of metaphorical retribution is not appropriate.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
These little punks will jump the wrong person and that person will have a gun and empty it into them.
Let's be honest, that almost never happens....

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
sure does.. Animals. Moderator Cut
The reporter said tonight while covering the story......"It's not clear why the passenger ran and left the cab driver"

It's because no way was helping or calling the police-lol I do give him credit for using his feet to get away and not be in a situation to be seriously hurt.

Sometimes it takes a BIG MAN to run like a LITTLE GIRL LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM

99 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Well how many years do you expect someone to get for punching someone? 20 years?
Yeah, twenty years.

Three would be fine for assaulting somebody, but being it was a racial attack, they should get fifteen. Make an example of them.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
I was on my way to the market this afternoon and was walking toward 22nd and Walnut and saw these two young UNPRODUCTIVE black males wearing hoodies and looking like they were up to something. One of them gave me a look and even though I;m 6'5 I was watching my back to make sure no one punch me from behind because Lord knows I have no MEDICAL COVERAGE due to my unemployed status-lol

BTW: Not sure why two black thugs would be on 22nd and Walnut at 1pm.
The kids who are looking for trouble go anywhere these days. Right now you've got a generation of kids who have been raised without fathers or mothers, around violence, who have been abused, and they seek to empower themselves through violence. Aggressively attacking anyone around them, putting people down, demeaning women and the elderly, makes them feel stronger, and lets their peers know that they're not a "*****". They always travel in groups, because that way they have somebody as a witness, and two people bragging about their exploits is more believable than one. These punks are out to start trouble with anyone who looks vulnerable, so take some steps to protect yourself:

These were forwarded by a member of our neighborhood town watch, and they're good points to follow:

-Use the buddy system (traveling with a companion when walking that has been organized, as one of the group shared they were doing - living with a group of students new to the city), or walk in groups
-Use observation, which includes looking BEHIND YOU, which actually makes you look smart and wise to turn around and look. Shouldn't feel embarrassed to do that.
-If something makes you uncomfortable (i.e. someone picking up their pace behind you), Run, get out in the street and run. Most criminals are not out for a sporting event and are likely to give up.
-Expand your creative non-violence repertoire. If you think of something odd to do in the moment, trust your instinct. Its probably the best thing to do in the moment. Breaks the script of the criminal and gives opportunity to change the situation.
-Glancing eye contact, not overly engaging. Look at someone's forehead and sweep to the top of their ear.
Practice conveying confidence in how you walk. Head up and look around. -Don't look downward, and be lost in thought.
If you don't have an airhorn, you do always have your wits, your self-love, and your voice. Practice using your voice.
-Use the broken record approach, if you have distance and as someone is approaching.and you need to set a boundary. Repeat getting louder each time as they approach, "Get Back". "Stay Back", "Get Back". Yelling is good/
-Stand sideways when going in your door, so you can always see what's behind you.
-You do not have to answer questions that people ask you to get closer to you, especially if they are making you uncomfortable (what time is it, where's the bus, etc...)

The more aware we all become the less chances these thugs will have. And for the love of all things sacred, when you see something like what happened over the weekend, CALL 911. The more involved we are with the police the more of these punks we can put away. If you see a fight, don't just think "oh I won't get involved, it might be some personal thing" call the police asap. When people start fighting out in public, when they start looking for trouble in public they're making it all our problems and that gives you the right to call the police.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM

99 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Racially-motivated crimes are not exclusive to Philadelphia. There are whites who feel superior to blacks in cities large and small throughout our nation. Likewise there are blacks who violently attack whites based upon their skin color alone everywhere, not just the City of Brotherly Love. I will have to concur, though, as a Caucasian from a solidly middle-class background that it's tiresome that I've been raised to love and respect those from all other races equally while many (not all) "urban" blacks are allowed to wield as much hatred against whites as they wish. It's NOT my fault, as a white male, that a black male who lives in North Philadelphia is angry at the world so why should I be beaten as a result? I'm living below the poverty line right now and am shivering. If I see a black person drive by in a Mercedes-Benz should I toss a slur at them? No. I should just inwardly be happy that they've found a niche in society that permits them to be well-compensated.

There have been racial tensions and hostilities everywhere I've lived---some places worse than others and some places targeting one group specifically more than others. For as many issues as Philadelphia has (including many Philadelphians thinking they're "superior" to we Pittsburghers, but I digress) the vast majority of them are NOT exclusive to your metro area.
It's not a crime to feel superior to someone, but it's a crime to attack someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia