Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 PM

99 posts, read 154,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You can do it if that's your thing but just be prepared for a possible situation when you are out late at night in this city. It's so many people who are broke and jobless and they are looking for people to ROB so they can EAT because they have no RESUME and if they do have one no employer is calling them back.
Dude, I understand you're frustrated, but seriously?! Most crimes are commited for dope and crack. You grew up in the "hood," you know that. You can't make an honest man a thief.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
No, most criminal behavior is financially motivated or the result of low impulse control and poor anger management skills and really has nothing to do with whether or not one has parents. Burglaries, armed robberies, grand thefts, kidnap for ransom, all white collar crimes, drug dealing, and sometimes arson are financially motivated. Murder (which is often financially motivated), aggravated assault, and rape are usually the result of low impulse control and/or poor anger management.

Having parents really has nothing to do with it even though you think it may. The reason people conclude that it does is because they notice that most criminals come from single parent households, but what they don't realize is that those single parent households are almost always low-income and at or near the poverty level. If those same criminals grew up in single parent households, but had a middle class upbringing, they probably wouldn't be out committing crimes because they wouldn't need to. Most people commit crimes because they feel they have to, not because they truly really want to. I'm pretty sure that if you took a middle class person who grew up in a household with a mother and father, but all of a sudden made him poor with no real way of earning a decent income, he'd probably start committing crimes to support himself (despite the fact that he grew up in a home with both parents).
They don't have parents as in their parents can not properly raise their children. Have you seen some of the behavior in this city? It's obscene, and the children pick up on it at a young age. Why do you think these kids are so poorly adjusted as adults where they have low impulse control and anger management issues? I think you've conflated financially motivated with something that's in part the cause of a poor urban economy and social programs that have really done a number on the stability of poor city households. Do you think the flash mobs do what they do because they want to, or because they think they have to? And then in what context? I'd say they have to because they'll be perceived as chicken if they don't. Yet there's still that group of kids out there that really wants to do it, because by pushing the envelope they're proving their bigger and badder than anyone else out there. It's really like bullying, but these kids never grow out of it because they end up with nothing to move on to. Nobody is there to teach them how to be an adult. You do a big disservice to the people who put a lot of blood and sweat into teaching their kids the values of hard work and responsibility for one's actions so that they could get out of the ghetto. We're all just psychological slaves to how much money we were born with? It's a shame you think like that, because let me tell you that I don't care how much money somebody is born with, they can get out if they try hard enough, and there's no substitute for instilling those values like family. I don't care that the mother and father split up, or the kid ended up in another home, there's got to be somebody stepping into that role of the parent that the child learns from and learns to believe in themselves and have self-respect and respect for those around them. Most of us living here in the city, me included, are descended from immigrants who were almost universally poor upon arrival. I mean so poor they had nothing but the clothes on their backs. They ended up building one of the greatest cities in one of the greatest nations in history, so don't give me this "when people face financial adversity they start killing each other over who gets more hot water" bull because I'm just not buying it. What we really need is for kids to start dropping the gangsta uber macho crap where they have to beat on each other to prove how "real they be" and start learning how to be real men who can take care of themselves, their girl, and their kids so that they can finally have some pride in their lives. We also need less people like you walking around spouting off about how poor people are just driven to hurt others because they don't have enough money, and "good" people are just the ones that grew up with money and didn't have to kill somebody for it.

Last edited by Marius Pontmercy; 02-03-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
They don't have parents as in their parents can not properly raise their children. Have you seen some of the behavior in this city? It's obscene, and the children pick up on it at a young age. Why do you think these kids are so poorly adjusted as adults where they have low impulse control and anger management issues? I think you've conflated financially motivated with something that's in part the cause of a poor urban economy and social programs that have really done a number on the stability of poor city households. Do you think the flash mobs do what they do because they want to, or because they think they have to? And then in what context? I'd say they have to because they'll be perceived as chicken if they don't. Yet there's still that group of kids out there that really wants to do it, because by pushing the envelope they're proving their bigger and badder than anyone else out there. It's really like bullying, but these kids never grow out of it because they end up with nothing to move on to. Nobody is there to teach them how to be an adult. You do a big disservice to the people who put a lot of blood and sweat into teaching their kids the values of hard work and responsibility for one's actions so that they could get out of the ghetto. We're all just psychological slaves to how much money we were born with? It's a shame you think like that, because let me tell you that I don't care how much money somebody is born with, they can get out if they try hard enough, and there's no substitute for instilling those values like family. I don't care that the mother and father split up, or the kid ended up in another home, there's got to be somebody stepping into that role of the parent that the child learns from and learns to believe in themselves and have self-respect and respect for those around them. Most of us living here in the city, me included, are descended from immigrants who were almost universally poor upon arrival. I mean so poor they had nothing but the clothes on their backs. They ended up building one of the greatest cities in one of the greatest nations in history, so don't give me this "when people face financial adversity they start killing each other over who gets more hot water" bull because I'm just not buying it. What we really need is for kids to start dropping the gangsta uber macho crap where they have to beat on each other to prove how "real they be" and start learning how to be real men who can take care of themselves, their girl, and their kids so that they can finally have some pride in their lives. We also need less people like you walking around spouting off about how poor people are just driven to hurt others because they don't have enough money, and "good" people are just the ones that grew up with money and didn't have to kill somebody for it.
I've got one question for you and that's all.

Did you grow up in this stuff you're trying to talk about?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You can do it if that's your thing but just be prepared for a possible situation when you are out late at night in this city. It's so many people who are broke and jobless and they are looking for people to ROB so they can EAT because they have no RESUME and if they do have one no employer is calling them back.
um, raping someone is not robbing someone..

Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
gun manufactures are most CERTAINLY not laughing all the way to the bank. NO manufactures would want their firearms used to murder people.
R U Serious? Or Sarcastic?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Sadly, he's serious.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM

110 posts, read 620,862 times
I used to love going to Philly for few days before. Then, in 2005 i took an appartment rented from a local friend. I spent a little more than two months and then i ran out of there never to come back. This city is dangerously violent especially if you are white and if you dont have a car. Taking the bus or train is already an adventure but going trough certain areas is completely idiotic.

Since i do enjoy browsing around a city and walk around in just about any neighborhood therefor philly is out of the question anymore because way to many areas are forbidden for someone like me. MY friend kept on telling me places and areas i should avoid and it was almost two thirds of the city. And she is black !!!

Sad but the truth has to be known. If you want to avoid trouble then avoid most areas in Philly. Of course similar situation happened when i tried to make it in Chicago as it is not much better but since this thread is about Philly....

The brotherly loved city never lived up to his name, not for me !

Curfew enforced on Philadelphia flash-mob teens - YouTube

Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
I've got one question for you and that's all.

Did you grow up in this stuff you're trying to talk about?
I grew up in a poor rural area of northern PA. A lot of the attitudes I encountered in school were the same. Plus, you've got a lot of poor rural kids who like to copy the poor urban kids because of the music and the fashion. I've worked in after school programs in North Philly after moving here for college, and my girlfriend is working on her education degree in the Philly school system as well. I'm commenting on something I've observed. If you don't agree, fine, but you don't have to be from Philadelphia to recognize bad behavior when you see it.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I grew up in a poor rural area of northern PA. A lot of the attitudes I encountered in school were the same. Plus, you've got a lot of poor rural kids who like to copy the poor urban kids because of the music and the fashion. I've worked in after school programs in North Philly after moving here for college, and my girlfriend is working on her education degree in the Philly school system as well. I'm commenting on something I've observed. If you don't agree, fine, but you don't have to be from Philadelphia to recognize bad behavior when you see it.
But you didn't grow up in it.

I did, to a much smaller extent, as I said before.

You may do volunteer work and your girlfriend may work there, but neither of you grew up in it. You don't have a clue what it's like for these kids.

You need to stop trying to simplify a very complex problem.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: personal attack/deleted orphaned quote

Old 02-05-2012, 04:19 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
A reminder: reducing personal attacks will also minimize infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia